Queens v Dundee Utd - IRNBRU Semi Final

Homer Thompson

23 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

With the way the discussion has gone since I made my point, I'm clearly in a minority on my thinking on it, but my view is that a centre back simply cannot move that far out of defence to make a challenge and not won the ball. If he is going to leave the defence that exposed then he has to win the ball, simple as that.

I agree, but what I meant was you kind of expect players at this level to make mistakes like that now and again. You wouldn't expect to see what happened with the first 2 goals in a pub team. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dom Thomas has played 6 games for us so far. In that time he has scored three goals and directly set up another four. I am utterly bemused by the suggestion that playing him on the right "doesnt work". Some people are watching different games from me.

Don't think anyone said it doesn't work they have claimed the team would have better balance which I agree it would. We are losing the effectiveness of Danny who has done hee haw since coming back because he is being played out of position. Dom Thomas is such a talented player switching him onto his stronger side shouldn't have much of a hindrance on his contribution. Danny back in his natural position can only help his confidence too.

I thought Jacobs was once again immense. Aside from doing the defensive work of two players, again (poor man must have thought those days were behind him now Millar has moved on), he also got involved in a number of attacks second half.

It'll be a real injustice if he doesn't pick up at least one award at the end of the season.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dom Thomas has played 6 games for us so far. In that time he has scored three goals and directly set up another four. I am utterly bemused by the suggestion that playing him on the right "doesnt work". Some people are watching different games from me.

Playing him on the right does work but we don't have anyone effective on the left so I'm half right. He might have scored and set up more playing on the left. 

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You're f£cking at it!

It was Andreu though.

As far as I'm aware there were no sponsors awards. It's an Irn Bru competition but they didn't send a rep to choose anyone. There was no match sponsor as you aren't allowed one (there was a Silver Ball sponsor but they don't pick a man of the match).

I presume Alba picked one though and I guess that's what you are referring to. I haven't watched the whole thing.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Er.......

Sorry missed that one but I think it was widely assumed that the left side is the issue. The right isn't weak the left is, moving Thomas to the left wouldn't weaken the left wing and I imagine Danny would feel a lot more at home on the right. 

Just now, Broony88 said:

Sorry missed that one but I think it was widely assumed that the left side is the issue. The right isn't weak the left is, moving Thomas to the left wouldn't weaken the left wing and I imagine Danny would feel a lot more at home on the right. 

I think it would. Most of Thomas' effect to date has come from cutting inside and shooting, something he's far less likely to do if he's on the left and cutting in onto his weaker foot. I think we'll get more come off rebounds and shots than we will off crosses.

I'd rather address the issue on the left directly than try to fiddle with something that plainly is working very well in the hope it might see a net improvement on both sides. There's nothing to stop them switching around during games if it's felt there would be some benefit out of it the way the game is going. I really am genuinely bemused at the notion that Thomas should play anywhere other than where he currently is.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think it would. Most of Thomas' effect to date has come from cutting inside and shooting, something he's far less likely to do if he's on the left and cutting in onto his weaker foot. I think we'll get more come off rebounds and shots than we will off crosses.

I'd rather address the issue on the left directly than try to fiddle with something that plainly is working very well in the hope it might see a net improvement on both sides. There's nothing to stop them switching around during games if it's felt there would be some benefit out of it the way the game is going. I really am genuinely bemused at the notion that Thomas should play anywhere other than where he currently is.

Because he is an extremely talented player at this level so he is likely to be capable of similar performances on his natural side. You would rather address the issue of left midfield by doing what exactly ? We have to piss with the cock we have and atm the left side of midfield has next to no options except this wonderful winger who is all left footed. 

15 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Because he is an extremely talented player at this level so he is likely to be capable of similar performances on his natural side. You would rather address the issue of left midfield by doing what exactly ? We have to piss with the cock we have and atm the left side of midfield has next to no options except this wonderful winger who is all left footed. 

If Stephen Dobbie was also our best centre half would you play him there because we have other options for scoring goals? I realise that's a ridiculous notion but it's the logical extension of your argument. It's not like we're asking Thomas to play somewhere unfamiliar to him. As I understand it he also plays on the right for Motherwell normally. The idea that it's his "wrong side" is based on a perception that if someone uses their left foot mainly they should play on the left and appears to have no basis on how their career to date has been.

I would try to get Danny fitter (he's clearly not the level he was at before he went to Hibs and he picked up a knock in training last week which ruled him out of starting Saturday) and doing what Dom Thomas does on the other side. If not then I'd happily play Lyndon or Connor Murray in there. Or we could do as we did for the Morton game and play Joe Thomson in a slightly wider role in a narrower midfield and let Marshall get forward more. I certainly wouldn't be undoing one of the things that is going very well at the moment.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If Stephen Dobbie was also our best centre half would you play him there because we have other options for scoring goals? I realise that's a ridiculous notion but it's the logical extension of your argument. It's not like we're asking Thomas to play somewhere unfamiliar to him. As I understand it he also plays on the right for Motherwell normally. The idea that it's his "wrong side" is based on a perception that if someone uses their left foot mainly they should play on the left and appears to have no basis on how their career to date has been.

I would try to get Danny fitter (he's clearly not the level he was at before he went to Hibs and he picked up a knock in training last week which ruled him out of starting Saturday) and doing what Dom Thomas does on the other side. If not then I'd happily play Lyndon or Connor Murray in there. Or we could do as we did for the Morton game and play Joe Thomson in a slightly wider role in a narrower midfield and let Marshall get forward more. I certainly wouldn't be undoing one of the things that is going very well at the moment.

i will just ignore that first half as I think you have got yourself in a right state just because a couple of people disagree with your opinion. You aren't always correct, it's a case of opinions. I think and a couple others think the balance would maybe be better with Thomas on the left and Danny on the right. It's ok to have differing opinions. You don't have to make yourself look daft just to get your point across. 

Archived