Queens v Dundee Utd - IRNBRU Semi Final

Homer Thompson

Criminal defending gave United a 2 goal start, I think if Brownlie had been at the heart of our defence we would have done better (never thought I'd ever say that!).

But after that dismal start, we played well for long periods, just needed that 2nd goal a bit sooner. 54% possession and more shots/corners, gubbed them on the stats, shame about the goals.

I thought Marshall was one of our better performers, not sure why folk were having a go at him.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done United. Good luck in the final. You were presented with a couple of gifts and then for a while seemed to want to shove them in the recycle bin. But you you decided to keep them in the end. Probably the better option.

Hope that was Hamill's last game for us. A waste of a (considerable amount of) skin.

Defence an utter shambles. Again. 

Lights were good, tho.

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

Dobbie doing what he does best: netting a consolation goal for a gubbins outfit.

Ooooft. Thought would be bit longer for you to show face. Gubbins outfit 3-0 the famous. Ooooooft insert Alex salmond gif of your choice here. 

13 minutes ago, (._.) said:

Because he was absolutely awful. 

I said earlier Thomas had to be taken off, he was slowing down every attack by continually cutting inside (or failing whilst trying to) soon after he had a go at Dixon and United ended up full panic mode. He's obviously got talent but needs to be more direct. 

Two pretty poor sides, thought Scott Fraser was United's best tonight. 

Are you trolling or just thick ? Thomas is about as direct a winger as you will find or he has been while with us and was again today. His end product on the day was fairly rotten but directness wasn't the problem. 

A game we could easily have won, but you cant give any team a 3-0 lead and, realistically, expect to get anything from it, particularly when you gift them two goals.

Still not sure how Lyle didnt bundle Dobbies cross in first half or how Dobbie missed that sitter after the scramble on the goal line.

Other than the two mistakes I thought we defended reasonably well and were in control for most of the game, just couldnt create enough decent chances when we went forward.

Struggling to understand the criticism of Marshall and, particularly, Thomas.

Its probably fitting that Andreus goal eventually won it. It was a bit of class from Uniteds best player by a mile

Maybe more a post for the general United thread but anyway.

I couldn't give a shit about this competition  but was interested to see how we played against a team in the same league, particularly after last week.

We were gash, two of our three goals were down to defensive blunders.  We hardly played any football and offered nothing in the second half.  Mikellsen is a fucking joke. 

Queens could have equalised in injury time from a 3-0 position.

Utd battered our left side in the first half. I don't think it was coincidence. I won't go on and on as it's pretty clear I don't rate Marshall so I won't verbally batter the boy.

Thomas was one of our better performers though. He'll be another big miss if we can't keep hold of him next season.

We beat ourselves before we started today. Woeful defending. I've no idea why the hell Dowie kneed the ball to Higgins in such an area. Knock it out for a corner FFS. Murray bypassed Marshall (sorry) without him knowing, to deliver the ball so he's equally to blame. I can't recall the first goal, only that it was a shot from the left hand side (never!). Andreu's came from that side as well (away!) but in fairness it was a thing of beauty. We battered them for the next 45 minutes and had Dobbie not blasted over I reckon we'd have at least got to ET today. I'm just happy we gave a better account of ourselves in the second half and as a result I find it difficult to be pissed off. The saving grace being we won't have to see that lineup again this season. I hope Celtic are keen on loaning Thomson out for another year.

Andreas was very good but Hamill was marking him so he had plenty of time and space.Very nervous in defence 1st 2 goals we had at least 3 chances to clear 3rd goal great goal but had to much time and space.

Turning point in the game was that goalmouth scramble that goes in then it is a different game.The ball came very quick to DOBBIE but should really have scored.

Jamie Hamill is not mobile enough to play centre midfield.

We really missed Thomson and Rankine in midfield that is why we lost the game our midfield was back  to like it was before they came in.

The defensive performance in the first half was about as bad as you'll see really. It was like they didn't understand how to play in the rain and that passing it around without much conviction would work against a team that was in their faces. Hammill played so badly that I missed Mark Millar. He was better in the second half but that is like saying the Battle of  Ypres was better than the Somme. How did he manage to play for as long as he did as a CM at the top flight. Playing Murray was a brave call but it was far too soon for him and Danny for all his faults would at least be better at covering Marshall.

An encouraging thing despite a very weakened line up was that we kept going and at least gave a better account of ourselves that may have been assisted by United's noble attempts at capitulation but previous teams would have. But all in all the performance was rather St Mirreny.

Thank f**k for John Rankin and Joe Thomson

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Utd battered our left side in the first half. I don't think it was coincidence. I won't go on and on as it's pretty clear I don't rate Marshall so I won't verbally batter the boy.

Thomas was one of our better performers though. He'll be another big miss if we can't keep hold of him next season.

We beat ourselves before we started today. Woeful defending. I've no idea why the hell Dowie kneed the ball to Higgins in such an area. Knock it out for a corner FFS. Murray bypassed Marshall (sorry) without him knowing, to deliver the ball so he's equally to blame. I can't recall the first goal, only that it was a shot from the left hand side (never!). Andreu's came from that side as well (away!) but in fairness it was a thing of beauty. We battered them for the next 45 minutes and had Dobbie not blasted over I reckon we'd have at least got to ET today. I'm just happy we gave a better account of ourselves in the second half and as a result I find it difficult to be pissed off. The saving grace being we won't have to see that lineup again this season. I hope Celtic are keen on loaning Thomson out for another year.

Blaming Marshall for any of the goals is pretty ridiculous.

Like any fullback he needs help in front of him. Today, he got none from Murray or Hamill.

Blaming Marshall for any of the goals is pretty ridiculous.
Like any fullback he needs help in front of him. Today, he got none from Murray or Hamill.

If I had to point blame I'd give it to Dowie for his kamikaze knee to Higgins but if Marshall tracks Murray then the ball doesn't even get that far. Genuinely, I watched Murray and knew Marshall wasn't going to track him, it was so obvious. We've had this discussion before when I accused him of ball watching at Ibrox. You called me ridiculous (or something similar) that time and downgraded it to "harsh" once you watched the highlights. So let's wait for the highlights this time before we discuss it further? :P

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

If I had to point blame I'd give it to Dowie for his kamikaze knee to Higgins but if Marshall tracks Murray then the ball doesn't even get that far. Genuinely, I watched Murray and knew Marshall wasn't going to track him, it was so obvious. We've had this discussion before when I accused him of ball watching at Ibrox. You called me ridiculous (or something similar) that time and downgraded it to "harsh" once you watched the highlights. So let's wait for the highlights this time before we discuss it further? :P

:lol:

Im not downgrading this one. Even if Marshall doesnt track Murray, there was plenty of opportunity to clear the ball.

Marshall is young and is going to make mistakes. To be honest, I think we've done pretty well to get such consistency from him. He's only going to get better with experience

Well that was annoying.

Even during the first half, I thought we were decent for much of it and that 0-3 was a crazy reflection of it.

The third goal was very nice, but the first two involved hideous stuff from our centre backs.  Higgins slightly unlucky to have Dowie's header hit him for the first, but why he kept Dowie's clearance in play for the second, I've no idea.

Had we got our second when Dobbie blazed over after excellent Marshall work, we'd have had a good chance, but it wasn't to be.

If it hadn't have been for the magnificent floodlights, I probably wouldn't have had a great time at all.

Barring the first 20mins that turned out to be quite an enjoyable game. Iwould even go as far to say we were the better team over 90mins. No real complaints about the result though so good luck to United in the final. On a side note Lee Robinsons going to get penalised for his antics some day there,s no need for pushing opposing players to the ground all the time.

Archived