Queens v Dundee Utd - IRNBRU Semi Final

Homer Thompson

29 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not sure that Dobbie's scoring record has been that bad in recent weeks - think he has something like 6 goals in last 10 games.

I certainly agree that deploying him as a lone striker is not playing to his strengths and probably by his own standards he has missed more good chances than you would normally expect to see.

He has ... some slump! Cant say I've noticed anything particular negative about his body language. He clearly gets upset/frustrated when he misses but in general I havent seen anything to suggest "all is not well"

Neither he or the team were ever going to maintain the level of performance from the early part of the season, but then I dont think anyone really thought they would

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He has ... some slump! Cant say I've noticed anything particular negative about his body language. He clearly gets upset/frustrated when he misses but in general I havent seen anything to suggest "all is not well"

Neither he or the team were ever going to maintain the level of performance from the early part of the season, but then I dont think anyone really thought they would

Looking at the top scorers list, apparently Dobbie has taken 71 shots on goal this season with the next most being Ross Forbes 47 and Derek Lyle being the next highest Queens player on 29. To say he's taken on the attacking burden is an understatement to say the least. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing, it did mean when we were on that awful run, we didn't have anyone else stepping forward to contribute and Dobbie started forcing shots rather than letting the game come to him.

Now we have Dom Thomas cutting inside and scoring like a discount Arjen Robben, Joe Thomson as an actual box to box midfielder and Derek Lyle fit again having been very clinical for most of the season. That at least opens the game up a bit more even if we don't have the quickest team in the world.

For Saturday, it think Dundee Utd will have too much for us with so many people missing regardless of how indifferent their form is. It will be interesting to see if we are able to spring any tactical surprises on them or if we stick with the same formation that worked very well at Tannadice and in the league. Personally I don't think it'll work without Thomson as he pushes the midfield more forward which could leave us being either very, very isolated upfront or if Dobbie plays in behind Lyle more vulnerable defensively as he can't track back compared to Thomson.  

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not sure that Dobbie's scoring record has been that bad in recent weeks - think he has something like 6 goals in last 10 games.

This. He missed a gilt edged opportunity against Morton granted but I don't recall him getting many chances against Hibs and he scored in 2 of the previous 3 games at United and St Mirren.

He had a bit of a lull when the whole team went through that dreadful three months, failing to score in the League between 17th September and 6th December although he scored 3 Irn Bru Cup goals during that period. Before that he had 6 in his first 5 league starts and as you say 6 in 10 since then.

He is most certainly in a slump, his body language strongly indicates all is not well.  I recall this happened in his first spell too, he slopes around with shoulders hunched looking very subdued.

That's been his body language the entire time he's played for us. He always looks 'disinterested' on the park but when the ball is in his vicinity he snaps into action.

I've also heard fuckwits shout things such as "run for the f€cking baw Dobbie!" (away to Ayr being the best (worst) example. The abuse he took that day was disgusting) Have these idiots never seen Dobbie play before? He'll never be a headless chicken type player so I don't know why some fans expect it of him. He's not a lone striker and never will be. If he is up there himself and the wide players get up quickly enough then it works but if they are having an off day he'll likely have an off day.

58 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Looking at the top scorers list, apparently Dobbie has taken 71 shots on goal this season with the next most being Ross Forbes 47 and Derek Lyle being the next highest Queens player on 29. To say he's taken on the attacking burden is an understatement to say the least. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing, it did mean when we were on that awful run, we didn't have anyone else stepping forward to contribute and Dobbie started forcing shots rather than letting the game come to him.

Now we have Dom Thomas cutting inside and scoring like a discount Arjen Robben, Joe Thomson as an actual box to box midfielder and Derek Lyle fit again having been very clinical for most of the season. That at least opens the game up a bit more even if we don't have the quickest team in the world.

For Saturday, it think Dundee Utd will have too much for us with so many people missing regardless of how indifferent their form is. It will be interesting to see if we are able to spring any tactical surprises on them or if we stick with the same formation that worked very well at Tannadice and in the league. Personally I don't think it'll work without Thomson as he pushes the midfield more forward which could leave us being either very, very isolated upfront or if Dobbie plays in behind Lyle more vulnerable defensively as he can't track back compared to Thomson.  

There was also an account on twitter that posted "expected goals", although I cant find a post for a few weeks. I didnt look at the stats closely enough to fully understand them but Dobbie was always top of them too

It doesn't surprise me that Dobbie is top of the "shots on goal" stats. He has generally a great shot that is usually accurate and he also has the tendency to shoot early and sometimes catch keeper off guard. I never really mind Dobbie shooting because he has a great record of scoring great goals from outside box.

As I have said repeatedly the lone striker role is "not playing to strengths" for Dobbie. I actually think that when played there - he has put in some big shifts and has tried really hard to make it work.......but for me Club has made huge investment (relatively speaking) and to get most out of it Dobbs has to have a partner up top so that we are effectively building team around him. If this means sacrificing a midfielder or a winger then so be it.

When all fit I am sure that a formation can be found to acccommodate - Jacobs, Thomson, Thomas, Rankine, and a strike partner for Dobbie ( either Dykes or most probably Lyle).A fully fit Hilson would also be a strong candidate if and when he is finally fit but Queens may cut their losses on that front and sadly say enough is enough.

7 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Surely time for Dobbie to don his 'shooting boots' once again.  He can be the difference, as we saw at the beginning of the season.

In recent times though his attempts at finishing have been absolutely woeful despite being set up perfectly on numerous occasions. He is most certainly in a slump, his body language strongly indicates all is not well.  I recall this happened in his first spell too, he slopes around with shoulders hunched looking very subdued.   Perhaps this provides a reality check for the OTT reaction from some when he signed again thinking we would be all-conquering this season with his return - he is only human and has weaknesses like everyone else.

Although some may think he should be, no player is exempt from substitution and the Manager was absolutely spot on when doing so in the Morton game.

Strikers thrive on goals and confidence - a real chicken and egg situation -  and he is missing both at the present time.

Saturday would be an ideal time for him to return to the form he displayed earlier in the season when it seemed he could not miss and exhibited the quality finishing we know he possesses.

As others have said, Dobbie has not markedly tailed off in recent games.

Most of us were delighted when he signed, but much more thrilled after five or six games when he was brilliant and the team was flying.  Since then, his form has fluctuated a bit, but he's still been a big goal threat.

Nothing should be read into his body language because he plays his football with his brain.  

I really don't know of any Queens fans, certainly on here, who are in need of a reality check regarding Dobbie at all.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As others have said, Dobbie has not markedly tailed off in recent games.

Most of us were delighted when he signed, but much more thrilled after five or six games when he was brilliant and the team was flying.  Since then, his form has fluctuated a bit, but he's still been a big goal threat.

Nothing should be read into his body language because he plays his football with his brain.  

I really don't know of any Queens fans, certainly on here, who are in need of a reality check regarding Dobbie at all.

I can think of one

Cup semi final day under the floodlights at Palmerston ye canny beat it, conditions will be good lots of rain before hand but dry for kick off.

Formation & player wise Naysmith will have had his work cut out with 3 of our new first team regulars missing, leaving us pretty short in numbers but am sure he will have the formation and players organised enough that they will see us thru to the Final.

Cmon ye Queens.

6 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Bit wet shouldn't be a problem though for the game going ahead should it??

Not with the fantastic plastic. Rain might even help on our surface, I assume it usually has to be watered before games anyway if conditions are too dry.

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Cup semi final day under the floodlights at Palmerston ye canny beat it, 

How do you know? There has never been a cup semi final under the floodlights at Palmerston before.

20 minutes ago, Flash said:

How do you know? There has never been a cup semi final under the floodlights at Palmerston before.

Every Queens game under the palmy floodlights is great so to add to that a cup semi final aswell superb the best it gets.

Archived