Album of 2017

Ira Gaines

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melancholy dream pop with a touch of Mazzy Star, a bunch of Angelo Badalamenti, and lashings and lashings of Marc Almond?   The new self titled Cigarettes After Sex is just beautiful.  Evidence that youtube can indeed produce real talent.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Melancholy dream pop with a touch of Mazzy Star, a bunch of Angelo Badalamenti, and lashings and lashings of Marc Almond?   The new self titled Cigarettes After Sex is just beautiful.  Evidence that youtube can indeed produce real talent.

I was going to thank you for bringing my attention to Big Thief which I enjoyed over the weekend but the Cigarettes After Sex album has been my new obsession, it's brilliant....as you already know! :thumsup2

19 hours ago, Christophe said:

Big Thief record is ace, absolutely loving 'Mary'

Cigarettes After Sex, terrible band name, terrible. But a nice album, albeit in a Beach House aping way. A bit one-paced but nice anyway.

I bought this and love it.

When I first heard them on the radio and googled them - I could only find an all-male band and assumed there must have been two bands with the same name.

Turned out the female lead vocal is a dude.

On 6/7/2017 at 20:12, ilostmyself said:

The new record is good but it's not a patch on Beat the Champ. Shelved and Rain in Soho stand out for me at the moment.
That said, like all of their albums, it'll grow on me once I get a grip of the lyrics and it all fits together more.

Got my ticket to see them at the Art School in October, can't wait.

I listened to it the other day and really wasn't digging it, aside from 'Andrew Eldridge is moving back to Leeds' and 'Rain in Soho'. I'll give it another go. 

On 14/06/2017 at 15:36, 50/50 Winner said:

Another vote for the Big Thief album from me, Shark Smile is my favourite track. 

It's the lead single, no question.  Anthemic, melodic, funny, dark.  That and Mary are the two stand out tracks.

The new Big Thief record, Capacity, is wonderful.  Up there with Hurray for the Riff Raff for me.  Really recommend these guys both on record and live.

Saw Hurray for the Riff Raff at the Drygate Brewery during Celtic Connections and I can only echo your recommendation. Was actually a wee bit worried that their second record wouldn't hold up to the first but from what I've heard it's really good.

Big new music release day today:

Fleet Foxes/Ride/Lorde/Kevin Morby/Jason Isbell/Big Boi/Com Truise/Ruby Suns/Goldie/Moby

hopefully get round to spinning then all over the weekend if I can get the Fleet Foxes record off...incredible!

Big new music release day today:
Fleet Foxes/Ride/Lorde/Kevin Morby/Jason Isbell/Big Boi/Com Truise/Ruby Suns/Goldie/Moby
hopefully get round to spinning then all over the weekend if I can get the Fleet Foxes record off...incredible!

Jason Isbell's record is great. Bit of an Eagles and John Prine feel. Fleet Foxes bore the hell out of me, so I'll pass on that. I saw Kevin Morby play some acoustic solo stuff and it was really boring. If his album's solo acoustic I'll pass.

I'm one of those people who gets very tetchy when others bemoan the state of contemporary music; particularly when they're prematurely middle-aged dullards raiding their dad's collections for Pink fucking Floyd and other such atrocities. That said, it's taken almost six months for this year's first truly great album to appear, IMO -

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/trad-gras-och-stenar-tack-for-kaffet-so-long-cd/SUBL.119CD.html

Archived