Album of 2017

Ira Gaines

Might as well get this one going since there's been a few releases so far. I only have a three album list so far. Didn't manage to keep up with my list again last year, but I'll try ( and fail ) as I always do.

1. Enter Shikari - The Spark
2. Brand New - Science Fiction
3. Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life
4. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound
5. While She Sleeps - You Are We
6. Creeper - Eternity, In Your Arms
7. Aquilo - Silhouettes
8. The Menzingers - After the Party
9. DREAMCAR - DREAMCAR
10. PVRIS - All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only listened to the new Ryan Adams record so far that's been released this year and it's pretty good. First half is great, second is pretty hit and miss. If you like his Taylor Swift covers record, then this should be up your street. The songwriting on it is pretty abysmal though, which is a shame, as I was expecting a bit more considering he's been divorced and had two other break-ups since his last record.

Only listened to the new Ryan Adams record so far that's been released this year and it's pretty good. First half is great, second is pretty hit and miss. If you like his Taylor Swift covers record, then this should be up your street. The songwriting on it is pretty abysmal though, which is a shame, as I was expecting a bit more considering he's been divorced and had two other break-ups since his last record.

I didn't think it was out yet.

Arcade Fire just dropped a single out of nowhere which I'm assuming will be on their album coming out this year:

Not overly impressed. Feels like it should be a B-side on the Reflektor Album if I'm being honest. Hopefully it's just filler and not one of the main tracks in the new album.

Not impressed would be an understatement. Think it's shite.

Frank Carter right in at the #1 spot this week. Couple of "meh" albums in at the bottom. Palisades are the one I wasn't that familiar with that I gave a shot and it turned out to be really good. I'm hoping to start losing pretty much everything from ONE OK ROCK downwards soon.

On 1/17/2017 at 12:36, GrahamJags said:

Not a fan of The XX (or xx or Xx or whatever they like to be called) but their new record is an absolute belter.

I'm a big fan of the XX but not into the new album. The two released singles are good but the album sounds a bit karaoke at points. 

1. Sundara Karma - youth is only fun in retrospect
2. Frank Carter and the rattlesnakes - modern ruin
3. You me at six - night people

Listening to cabbage - Young, dumb and full of... And I can't make up my mind. Maybe a couple of listens

Pissing against the wind it appears, but I'm quite enjoying the new Japandroids.  Lyrically it's dire, but it's much better produced than their first two records, and is good background drinking music.

On 1/27/2017 at 08:21, Savage Henry said:

Pissing against the wind it appears, but I'm quite enjoying the new Japandroids.  Lyrically it's dire, but it's much better produced than their first two records, and is good background drinking music.

I've been listening to this over the weekend and it's good but still prefer their 'rougher' sound. They're playing the Garage on 30 April which is handy as it's the May day holiday on the Monday.

I've just signed up to the Amazon Music Unlimited trial so I'm hoping to find some new music and will be on the lookout for recommendations! 

1. Deaf Havana - All These Countless Nights
2. Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes - Modern Ruin
3. WSTR - Red, Green or Inbetween.

It's been a pretty solid start to the year in terms of albums for me. It'll take a lot to knock Deaf Havana off top spot though, it's probably one of my all-time favourite albums now.

1. Sundara Karma - youth is only fun in retrospect
2. Frank Carter and the rattlesnakes - modern ruin
3. You me at six - night people

Listening to cabbage - Young, dumb and full of... And I can't make up my mind. Maybe a couple of listens

1. Sundara karma
2. Deaf Havana
3. Frank Carter and rattlesnakes
4. Cabbage
5. You me at six

The new Fufanu record is very good. Bad Rockets is one of the best songs I'll probably hear this year. Looking forward to seeing them live later this month.The Bash & Pop album (featuring Tommy Stinson of The Replacements) is also good fun.

16 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

The new Fufanu record is very good. Bad Rockets is one of the best songs I'll probably hear this year. Looking forward to seeing them live later this month.The Bash & Pop album (featuring Tommy Stinson of The Replacements) is also good fun.

I like the Bash & Pop a great deal too. Definitely has a Replacements spirit to it.  Going to see them in March.  

Not quite sure what I think about the Ty Seagal and Cloud Nothings records.

Archived