Album of 2017

Ira Gaines

I've got Ron Gallo and Laura Marling's new albums on the go at the moment.  

Ron Gallo sounds pretty excellent to my ear, if highly derivative.  Brian Jonestown Massacre slightly more competently recorded.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to a fair few new releases this year. My top 10 at the moment is:

1. White Reaper - The World's Best American Band

2. Methyl Ethel - Everything Is Forgotten

3. The Shins - Heartworms

4. Craig Finn - We All Want The Same Things

5. Sam Outlaw - Tenderheart

6. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

7. Ten Fe - Hit The Light

8. The xx - I See You

9. Conor Oberst - Salutations

10. Temples - Volcano

I think this might be a first for me , Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell is going to make it on to my end of the year list again, albeit the live version which is just as brilliant.

Probably helps that I caught him performing it live a couple of years ago and really wanted to hear the different arrangements again.

I think this might be a first for me , Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell is going to make it on to my end of the year list again, albeit the live version which is just as brilliant.
Probably helps that I caught him performing it live a couple of years ago and really wanted to hear the different arrangements again.

Cheers for this mate, didnt know this was a thing, off to go and download. Saw him in Miami about a month after this recording although slightly different set list - he did John Wayne Gacy - 'as some light relief' (!) - but he did get the support band out for Hotline Bling at the end same as on here. Excellent show. Apart from the Gusman Theater is all seated with even less leg room than the Edinburgh Playhouse

Blondie's new album is very good indeed, not not good enough to break into the 10.

Davey Havok has got a band called DREAMCAR with three members of No Doubt, and their debut album is fucking outstanding work, and IS good enough to get into the list.

Got the new one by Mountain Goats, who are on Merge Records - which is usually a good sign.  

I've only heard the first three songs, but it sounds like if Belle and Sebastian wrote songs for Death Cab for Cutie.  It's going to take a few listens.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:12, Savage Henry said:

Got the new one by Mountain Goats, who are on Merge Records - which is usually a good sign.  

I've only heard the first three songs, but it sounds like if Belle and Sebastian wrote songs for Death Cab for Cutie.  It's going to take a few listens.

I liked their wrestling themed album and have heard one of the tracks from the new album. I'll need to check out the rest of it. 

There's been some decent releases so far this year. No particular order, but I'd recommend:

While She Sleeps - You Are We

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

Blood Youth - Beyond Repair

Lower Than Atlantis - Safe In Sound

Stormzy - Gang Signs and Prayer

Really looking forward to the new Rise Against and PVRIS albums coming out too.

New Arcade Fire album "Everything Now" incoming:

http://live.everythingnow.com

Here's a recording of one of their new singles from the album. Not the best quality but it sounds pretty fucking good.

http://pitchfork.com/news/61370-listen-to-arcade-fires-new-song-everything-now/

I liked their wrestling themed album and have heard one of the tracks from the new album. I'll need to check out the rest of it. 

The new record is good but it's not a patch on Beat the Champ. Shelved and Rain in Soho stand out for me at the moment.
That said, like all of their albums, it'll grow on me once I get a grip of the lyrics and it all fits together more.

Got my ticket to see them at the Art School in October, can't wait.

Archived