Scotland squad March

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

1502323ac23db55beb21a18d744e7ad9.jpg

I would be going something like this, however let's be honest, it's doubtful that either Phillips or Bardsley will be in the squad. Brown too.

Really like this team line up and great to try it out in a friendly,  for me that's the perfect line for us,  frightening pace up front there.

Is Robertson playing left wing/midfield for Hull?

Up for trying him there for Scotland, and Burke up front, but maybe not both at once if it'd be new thing for the pair of them.

Also, I highly doubt Bardsley will be picked for the squad. TBH he's not really a superstar option anyway - just the best of a bad bunch.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Up for trying him there for Scotland, and Burke up front, but maybe not both at once if it'd be new thing for the pair of them.

Also, I highly doubt Bardsley will be picked for the squad. TBH he's not really a superstar option anyway - just the best of a bad bunch.

To my knowledge he's never played left wing at Hull. Played on the left of a 5-3-2 plenty though. 

It seems clear Strachan just isn't interested in Bardsley. Who's actually going to play right back though? Anya is generally a sub at Derby and is always used in midfield. Paterson is injured. Hutton is retired. Whittaker has barely played for Norwich this season. Martin always plays centre back for Norwich and is needed there for us..

So you're either playing someone out of position, someone who isn't playing for their club or calling up a complete ringer for a one/two cap wonder like Ziggy Gordon or David Gray. 

Surely you just choose the blatant option playing regularly in the EPL?

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

His game is well suited to be tried at left wing, and if it could work having robbo and tierney on the left would improve us that side immensely it may even help us defensively as he could easily cover in if tierney was overlapping.

4 hours ago, Paco said:

To my knowledge he's never played left wing at Hull. Played on the left of a 5-3-2 plenty though. 

It seems clear Strachan just isn't interested in Bardsley. Who's actually going to play right back though? Anya is generally a sub at Derby and is always used in midfield. Paterson is injured. Hutton is retired. Whittaker has barely played for Norwich this season. Martin always plays centre back for Norwich and is needed there for us..

So you're either playing someone out of position, someone who isn't playing for their club or calling up a complete ringer for a one/two cap wonder like Ziggy Gordon or David Gray. 

Surely you just choose the blatant option playing regularly in the EPL?

Unless Bardsley has said he's not interested and doesn't want called up.

Get Steven Anderson in the centre and Martin on the right...

Tbf it's a perfect change to play a 3-5-2. Martin, Berra and Hanley in defence with Robertson/Tierney on the left and Anya on the right. Stick McArthur, Morrison and Snodgrass as the centre three and any two strikers of your choice. I know I criticise him but a Rhodes/Burke combination could actually work.

Get Steven Anderson in the centre and Martin on the right...

Tbf it's a perfect change to play a 3-5-2. Martin, Berra and Hanley in defence with Robertson/Tierney on the left and Anya on the right. Stick McArthur, Morrison and Snodgrass as the centre three and any two strikers of your choice. I know I criticise him but a Rhodes/Burke combination could actually work.

Be nice to at least try it.

I'd be seriously considering Tierney at right-back for this one - we don't have any good options, and it would allow us to get him and Robertson in the team.  He's better than Robertson, so it would be a pity to have him out of position, but I reckon he's more adaptable and better defensively so could do a job for us over on the right.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd be seriously considering Tierney at right-back for this one - we don't have any good options, and it would allow us to get him and Robertson in the team.  He's better than Robertson, so it would be a pity to have him out of position, but I reckon he's more adaptable and better defensively so could do a job for us over on the right.

That would require thinking outside the box on the part of the prehistoric dinosaur of a Manager......doing things like trying to fit 2 of you best young and in form players is alien to a tool like him. Likelihood is he will either call up Sh**aker again or play Anya or Martin there. God Help us

It would be nice if Strachan would pick some of the younger, talented Scottish based players like Jamie Walker, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Jack, Callum Paterson, Kieran Tierney etc... but I know that won't happen (apart from maybe Tierney).  As a Canadian I would be more than happy to see some of the older guys line-up against us, that way we may have a chance to get a result!  

4 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

It would be nice if Strachan would pick some of the younger, talented Scottish based players like Jamie Walker, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Jack, Callum Paterson, Kieran Tierney etc... but I know that won't happen (apart from maybe Tierney).  As a Canadian I would be more than happy to see some of the older guys line-up against us, that way we may have a chance to get a result!  

That'll be the same Callum Paterson who is injured (and was picked and played consistently prior to that)?  And the Kieran Tierney that will "maybe" be picked?  

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

That'll be the same Callum Paterson who is injured (and was picked and played consistently prior to that)?  And the Kieran Tierney that will "maybe" be picked?  

D'OH, I forgot that Paterson was injured and yes, Tierney will most likely play but I stand by the other 3.  Walker and Armstrong have been especially good this year.

Archived