Scotland squad March

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cairney and Armstrong good players but McArthur ahead of both them. Cairney and Armstrong untested against top quality opposition playing in the Championship and Scottish Premier would like to see them both move to a top league so they can really test themselves. Fulham fans love Cairney but he's 26 now why have no top flight teams bought him? You can look amazing in Scottish Premier and Championship but when you move to a top league against technically better, faster and stronger players many players can't handle the step up. Same goes for Jamie Walker you can't put him ahead of the likes of Morrison Phillips Fraser McArthur etc as players he's playing against are much poorer quality.

I half agree with you about fletcher he's nearing the end of his career but still playing at high level and worth having experience like fletchers in the squad to help younger less experienced players. We don't have that many leaders like fletcher in our squad.

Cairney and Armstrong good players but McArthur ahead of both them. Cairney and Armstrong untested against top quality opposition playing in the Championship and Scottish Premier would like to see them both move to a top league so they can really test themselves. Fulham fans love Cairney but he's 26 now why have no top flight teams bought him? You can look amazing in Scottish Premier and Championship but when you move to a top league against technically better, faster and stronger players many players can't handle the step up. Same goes for Jamie Walker you can't put him ahead of the likes of Morrison Phillips Fraser McArthur etc as players he's playing against are much poorer quality.

You can't put Walker ahead of Mcarthur and Morrison because he plays a completely different position.

Walker is barely older than Barrie McKay, and in much better form. There's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be included to help him "bed in", in the same way McKay and McGinn were.

I probably wouldn't have walker mckay or forrest in the squad we have much better players in his position. Burke Phillips Fraser snodgrass Ritchie miles ahead of walker. If he plays well might get picked up by a Premiership / championship team and then see how he does when playing against better opposition week in and week out.

Bannan has been rotten for Scotland every time I've seen him. Don't see the benefit of having him in the team at all.

I'd say he's been average, with a few very good games. Not really any other midfielders we have who have been turning in regular 8/10 performances in any case.

Nope, don't see it. I think because he's wee and reasonably skilful that Scottish folk convince themselves he's good enough to play international fitba when he's not. He's just an average Championship player. Morrison, Brown, McArthur, Fletcher, and probably one or two others (Armstrong?) are better.

41 minutes ago, resk said:

Bannan has been rotten for Scotland every time I've seen him. Don't see the benefit of having him in the team at all.

Thats fine Resk.   What games do you think Bannan has been rotten ?  

He was clearly the shinning light for me in the last campaign.   

He was fkin gash against Lithuania at home. And Slovenia away. And just about passable against Malta (played a couple of decent diagonal balls against some joiners).

IMO.

Sorry, I meant Slovakia.

Fair enough, it was unfair of me to brand him an average Championship player. Clearly, as has been pointed out, he has excelled in that league. My opinion is that he's been rotten in his recent games for Scotland.

I seem to be in the minority, but I've never really seen what the fuss is about Bannan either.  He's hardly shite or anything, but just...meh really.  

Like I said, it's the minority, and plenty seem to see more in him.  Just never really warmed to him.

Noted that Resk has talked about this campaign.   

From this campaign I felt he was missed against England.  

We don't produce technical players.  We talk about not being able to retain the ball - yet want to drop the midfielder who's best at it ?  

Bannan and Anya, and Maloney and Fletcher linked up really good.   Bannan will find Burke or Phillips or Griffiths for a through ball.   We lack vision and should  be promoting the likes of Snodgrass and Bannan.   

I remember talking about the need to play Maloney centrally a few years ago and I was told I was nuts.   

Our best technicians at DMC please.   Snodgrass at AMC.   Pace on the wings and Griffiths up front.   

14 hours ago, forameus said:

I seem to be in the minority, but I've never really seen what the fuss is about Bannan either.  He's hardly shite or anything, but just...meh really.  

Like I said, it's the minority, and plenty seem to see more in him.  Just never really warmed to him.

Bannan is a shite version of maloney...fraser plays the same position and looks 10 times the player Bannan is. So many players we have not seen enough of in the scotland team who are performing well at club level.  Our starting line up should be much different this time around and it's needed

Bannan is a shite version of maloney...fraser plays the same position and looks 10 times the player Bannan is. So many players we have not seen enough of in the scotland team who are performing well at club level.  Our starting line up should be much different this time around and it's needed

I don't think the word position means what you think it means

Archived