Scotland squad March

Would have Armstrong and mcarthur as the 2 deepest to be honest. Armstrong has excelled there recently. Maybe fletcher ahead of mcarthur but whoever it is should be given the task of shielding the back 4 and letting Armstrong play football. Our midfield has been totally overrun recently and not having an out and out dm has been a part of it imo

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Would have Armstrong and mcarthur as the 2 deepest to be honest. Armstrong has excelled there recently. Maybe fletcher ahead of mcarthur but whoever it is should be given the task of shielding the back 4 and letting Armstrong play football. Our midfield has been totally overrun recently and not having an out and out dm has been a part of it imo

Brown seems more disciplined this season and correctly is covering less of the pitch, and basically anchoring the midfield. Whether he is available is another matter.

Mcarthur for me has to start in the defensive midfield position has been excellent for palace this season and last. Also playing at a much higher level than Armstrong / Brown on a weekly basis. Then it's between fletcher bannan brown and Armstrong for the 2nd central midfield place. Personally would go fletcher with Phillips Snodgrass and Burke in front.

I think people are sometimes blinkered when seeing a player playing in the EPL and automatically thinking "he must be a player" - there's plenty of players who run about doing the square root of f**k all.

I think if Scott Brown decides to play on it and his partnership with Armstrong keeps excelling then it would make sense to have them as the two in the centre. Darren Fletcher played quite well against England mind you but generally he seems to be in the middle when we get over run. Maybe it's the system? 

I'd select Charlie Mulgrew for one of the CB positions. Hanley still plays as if it's the 1980s.

Gordon

Bardsley

Martin

Mulgrew

Robertson

Brown

Armstrong

Fraser

Phillips

Snodgrass

Burke

Roll that faaaakking dice Ginge

If your in the English Premiership your testing yourself against some of the best players in the world on a weekly basis. In the spl you maybe get 6 games every 2 or 3 seasons in the champions league where you are properly tested. With that in mind and the fact mcarthur also scored 5 goals and many standout displays he would be my first choice as defensive midfielder for this game. Armstrong has been brilliant this year in Scottish league but average at best in champions league games. Hopefully he will push on and become a regular for Scotland in future.

On 20/01/2017 at 19:53, paddymcp said:

I think people are sometimes blinkered when seeing a player playing in the EPL and automatically thinking "he must be a player" - there's plenty of players who run about doing the square root of f**k all.

I think if Scott Brown decides to play on it and his partnership with Armstrong keeps excelling then it would make sense to have them as the two in the centre. Darren Fletcher played quite well against England mind you but generally he seems to be in the middle when we get over run. Maybe it's the system? 

I'd select Charlie Mulgrew for one of the CB positions. Hanley still plays as if it's the 1980s.

Gordon

Bardsley

Martin

Mulgrew

Robertson

Brown

Armstrong

Fraser

Phillips

Snodgrass

Burke

Roll that faaaakking dice Ginge

Why play Brown? McArthur is a far better player and is good enough to play in premiership unlike Brown

Probably safe to say Ross McCormack won't be getting called up after he refused to turn up for training at Aston Villa because his gates were stuck.  Steve Bruce has all but said he's going to stay in the reserves or get sold.  Absolute waster of the highest order.

On 20/01/2017 at 21:30, skippy2015 said:

If your in the English Premiership your testing yourself against some of the best players in the world on a weekly basis. In the spl you maybe get 6 games every 2 or 3 seasons in the champions league where you are properly tested. With that in mind and the fact mcarthur also scored 5 goals and many standout displays he would be my first choice as defensive midfielder for this game. Armstrong has been brilliant this year in Scottish league but average at best in champions league games. Hopefully he will push on and become a regular for Scotland in future.

A bit harsh on Armstrong, he was thrown into the Champions League games without match sharpness. He then went on to do great in the league.

Probably safe to say Ross McCormack won't be getting called up after he refused to turn up for training at Aston Villa because his gates were stuck.  Steve Bruce has all but said he's going to stay in the reserves or get sold.  Absolute waster of the highest order.

Ffs! Tbf mccormack has seemed to be a bit fiery and sulky in the past but he's never done anything as blatant as this until now, has he?

I like Armstrong he's a good player and think he will develop into a really good player . The Premiership and international level is a massive step up from the Scottish league. You can shine in the Scottish league be a superstar then when you move to a top league you struggle. Prime example Gary hooper top Scottish Premiership player now average in championship (exceptions of course wanyama van dyke but for every wanyama there are 20 Liam Millars who couldn't handle the step up) for this reason I think playing Armstrong from the start is a bit of a risk so I would go mcarthur and fletcher in the defensive midfield positions with Phillips snodgrass and Burke / Ritchie.

The state of WGS on goal on Sunday today,  listening to the pish he was spouting has me 100% he don't have fecking clue

His interviews since the home Gibraltar game have been at best bizarre. One of my pals is convinced that wgs has early onset dementia. Bit harsh but at times he barely makes sense and he's completely unable to provide coherent reasoning for his selections.

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Ffs! Tbf mccormack has seemed to be a bit fiery and sulky in the past but he's never done anything as blatant as this until now, has he?

The BBC merely talks about his suspension.  The red tops go into much more detail.  Apparently Bruce didn't believe him, and went round to his house to measure the gates.  They are four foot six.  It's utterly bonkers on so many levels.

Steve Bruce's Measuring Tape

Mcburnie along with 4 other scots in the Swansea under 21 team that went out of EFL Cup tonight on pens to Coventry. Think it's maybe worth bringing mcburnie into squad for Canada friendly getting very good reviews down south. I wonder if Strachan or mcGhee attended this game as Blair Byers Fulton and biabi all played....... it would worry me if there was no representation as would be good to see how these players fair against full Coventry side!!!

Mcburnie is pish.

He's got potential, though he looked very ordinary in the Scotland u21 games I watched him in (seems to be a common theme with all Scottish prospects)
The previous poster has a fair point though - we are thin on emerging strikers.

Archived