Scotland squad March

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall (cardiff) Gordon (Celtic) Archer (Millwall) TIerney (Celtic) Robertson (Hull City) Hanley (Blackburn) Souttar (Hearts) Love (Sunderland) Berra (Ipswich) Mulgrew (Blackburn) McArthur (Crystal Palace) Phillips (West Brom) Morrison (West Brom) Fletcher (West Brom) Fraser (Bournemouth) Snodgrass (Hull City) Burke (Leipzig) Brown (Celtic) Bannan (Sheffield Wed) Anya (Derby) Ritchie (Newcastle) Fletcher (Sheffield Wed) Griffiths (Celtic) Naismith (Norwich) Martin ( Derby)

Picking the three attacking midfielders will be difficult decision. Lots of in form players as you said - three from Phillips Fraser Armstrong snodgrass Burke and Ritchie . Also got forrest Mckay who I've left out. Snodgrass central and Phillips left for me should 100 per cent start then 1 from Burke Fraser and Ritchie.

Between snodgrass (7 goals 3 assists) Fraser (3 goals 4 assists) Phillips (4 goals 9 assists) so in total 14 goals and 16 assists in premier league - add to that Morrison 3 goals 1 assist and mcarthur 5 goals and 2 assists a lot of our players are having really good seasons with there clubs

For the three, I'd play:

Burke  Snodgrass  Fraser

or

Phillips  Snodgrass  Fraser

...with Burke as a lone striker (could swap Burke and Snodgrass in this scenario too)

Anya, Forrest and Armstrong provide adequate backup

And I'd say Ritchie and McKay should sit this one out.

Unless Gordon Strachan has had some sort of epiphany off the back of the last game, it'll be the same old faces, both in the squad and the starting XI.

There's no way he can leave Phillips out of the squad or starting XI IMO, I wasn't impressed with Ryan Fraser at all when I saw him for the U21s vs. Macedonia, but his performances and record in the PL speaks for itself. I like the latter front four Gordopolis has went for; which means that Gordstropolis won't.

I don't think he will make wholesale changes halfway through a campaign, I can see two fresh faces coming in and I don't think he can ignore Phillips and Armstrong. Fraser may have to wait his turn, if he is playing consistently well until the end of the season then he may make the squad for the England game.

Yeah, Fraser's been a match-changer in several EPL games now. No point in waiting a bit longer - not as if he's 17.

Armstrong has done well recently and fairly well in the last Champions' League game, but you can't compare his SPFL Prem performances with Fraser's EPL exploits.

I do agree tho that Gordstropolis will change as little as possible. So I foresee:

Ritchie Snodgrass Anya

Martin

It's still a while away. Players form can change, especially wingers. Worryingly Chris Martin seems to be the only striker getting a regular start and scoring.

Armstrong has to be in the squad if he keeps up his form.

I wonder what will happen with Scott Brown? Pretty disgraceful (kind of expecting it though) if he just swaggered in for the England game.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It's still a while away. Players form can change, especially wingers. Worryingly Chris Martin seems to be the only striker getting a regular start and scoring.

I wonder what will happen with Scott Brown? Pretty disgraceful (kind of expecting it though) if he just swaggered in for the England game.

Let's hope Olly McBurnie can explode into the reckoning by getting a few goals at Swansea. After him and the usual suspects (Griffiths, McCormack, Rhodes, Fletcher, Naismith), you're down to the likes of Cummings and Watt. Anyone else I've missed?

Is Martin not in the huff and refusing to play for Fulham? Not sure he's even scored that many for them anyway. Derby seem to have improved considerably without him.

16 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Between snodgrass (7 goals 3 assists) Fraser (3 goals 4 assists) Phillips (4 goals 9 assists) so in total 14 goals and 16 assists in premier league - add to that Morrison 3 goals 1 assist and mcarthur 5 goals and 2 assists a lot of our players are having really good seasons with there clubs

Phillips' and Snodgrass' contributions look even more impressive when you put them into the context of their respective teams' total goals; Phillips has been directly involved in 46% of West Brom's and Snodgrass in 50% of Hull's.

Fraser hasn't played as much, so doesn't account for as much of Bournemouth's total goals. But since coming into the side, he's been directly involved in a goal every 80 minutes.

It's good to have options in midfield if only we had a world class striker and a solid centre half we would be a good team!!!! Mcburnie has potential and suits scotlands style of play however he was born in England there is always the worry that if he does well that England convince him to switch to them like Sam Gallagher and Matt targett.

Archived