Scotland squad March

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That's because he didn't, posted a response to that, he missed out on the squad when he wasn't playing regularly and when he was asked about it he said he didn't care and would rather go on holiday...

Who the f**k is Gallagher? That the young lad that chose to play for England a year or two ago???

So he does want to be considered then just that the manager does not rate him.

Wee Strapon has made a total erse of this campaign and the sad thing is he looks so smug in doing so.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That's because he didn't, posted a response to that, he missed out on the squad when he wasn't playing regularly and when he was asked about it he said he didn't care and would rather go on holiday...

Who the f**k is Gallagher? That the young lad that chose to play for England a year or two ago???

Yes, but the tabloids claimed in no uncertain terms that Strachan had been trying to get him to switch to us in recent weeks, but none of them could be arsed to ask him about him about it at the press conference. Keep in mind this guy is 6ft 4 in with blistering pace and a Scottish dad.

Yes, but the tabloids claimed in no uncertain terms that Strachan had been trying to get him to switch to us in recent weeks, but none of them could be arsed to ask him about him about it at the press conference. Keep in mind this guy is 6ft 4 in with blistering pace and a Scottish dad.

Seez peace he chose to play for England ffs. End of.

So he does want to be considered then just that the manager does not rate him.
Wee Strapon has made a total erse of this campaign and the sad thing is he looks so smug in doing so.

Nah, he's no bothered and he'd rather go away on holiday he's said.

Is Mark McGhee still Strachan's assistant?

McGhee has been sacked six times (Wolves, Millwall, Brighton, Aberdeen, Bristol Rovers and Motherwell)  in three different decades in two countries.

The only successes he's had are in the lower leagues of English football.  An utter farce that he is employed in such a prominent position.

14 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I see Liam Lyndsay isn't in the U21s either. Strange.

You do realise Strachan and McGhee will have never heard of him?  I'm saying that as a slant on those clowns rather than on Lyndsay or Thistle of course.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

You do realise Strachan and McGhee will have never heard of him?  I'm saying that as a slant on those clowns rather than on Lyndsay or Thistle of course.

Seems strange not to take 1 'untried' CB along with this squad. We should be doing that until we find one or two who look capable. The problem ain't going to go away.

We should be going down the route Wales took under Speed and ditch the likes of Martin for Lindsay. Pleased to see Cairney,.Armstrong, Phillips and Fraser in but only one of them could be called a youngster. It's now or never for the other three.

13 minutes ago, Owsley said:

We should be going down the route Wales took under Speed and ditch the likes of Martin for Lindsay. Pleased to see Cairney,.Armstrong, Phillips and Fraser in but only one of them could be called a youngster. It's now or never for the other three.

Nice in theory, but Wales were kind of helped when the players they did that with were so good.  Lindsay is great, but he's not anywhere near that level.  The solution for us is likely somewhere in the middle - have the older core with the experience and feed in the players that deserve their chance early enough.  If they're good enough, they're old enough, but if they're not good enough, there's not much point in using them just because they're young enough.

EDIT: And just to add, this isn't really what we're doing now.  We were kind of doing it early in Strachan's reign when he made a point of calling up the young players and publicly saying how he wanted to get them in to have a look at them and give them experience of the squad.  That seems to have fallen apart though as his head slowly departed from his body.  I'm plucking numbers out my arse here, but I've always said we should have around 18-21 players in our core team that we'd be happy to send out for a competitive game, then fill the rest of the squad with various levels of prospects.  It's nonsense to suggest we completely abandon the experienced players, but it's also nonsense to completely disregard players who are on the edge of being good enough just to put another jobber into the squad.

29 minutes ago, forameus said:

Nice in theory, but Wales were kind of helped when the players they did that with were so good.  Lindsay is great, but he's not anywhere near that level.  The solution for us is likely somewhere in the middle - have the older core with the experience and feed in the players that deserve their chance early enough.  If they're good enough, they're old enough, but if they're not good enough, there's not much point in using them just because they're young enough.

EDIT: And just to add, this isn't really what we're doing now.  We were kind of doing it early in Strachan's reign when he made a point of calling up the young players and publicly saying how he wanted to get them in to have a look at them and give them experience of the squad.  That seems to have fallen apart though as his head slowly departed from his body.  I'm plucking numbers out my arse here, but I've always said we should have around 18-21 players in our core team that we'd be happy to send out for a competitive game, then fill the rest of the squad with various levels of prospects.  It's nonsense to suggest we completely abandon the experienced players, but it's also nonsense to completely disregard players who are on the edge of being good enough just to put another jobber into the squad.

You're 100% right, it allowed Strachan to have a look at players like McGinn, McKay and Gauld up close without the pressure of them needing to start or being the savior etc. We've called up 30 players so it's not like there wasn't space for someone else to do the same, particularly when we're so limited at the back.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

You're 100% right, it allowed Strachan to have a look at players like McGinn, McKay and Gauld up close without the pressure of them needing to start or being the savior etc. We've called up 30 players so it's not like there wasn't space for someone else to do the same, particularly when we're so limited at the back.

That's the one thing I don't get about this Scotland squad.  Strachan called up 30 guys but only 7 defenders and couldn't give at least one or two debutants at the back?  Why not either drop one of the veterans like Mulgrew (who has been a rotation player at relegation threatened Blackburn) and give Lindsay a look, or ditch Wallace and give the versatile Graeme Shinnie a look?   You don't have to give either of them playing time in the competitive game but have a friendly against a not very good Canada team that you could put them in

11 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I wonder if any of those players are not actually Slovenian. Maybe some Serbs or Croats from lower league football. ? Nah, I don't think so either.

To be fair things are just slightly different in that part of the world...

It always annoys me looking through the clubs that players of even modest countries like Slovenia play for. Atletico, Leverkusen, Fiorentina, Chievo, Saint Etienne, Rostov and.. er, Hearts.

Us? West Ham and RB Leipzig is about as impressive as it gets before slipping into uber-diddies like Blackburn, Fulham, Derby and Rangers. 

17 hours ago, Paco said:

To be fair things are just slightly different in that part of the world...

It always annoys me looking through the clubs that players of even modest countries like Slovenia play for. Atletico, Leverkusen, Fiorentina, Chievo, Saint Etienne, Rostov and.. er, Hearts.

Us? West Ham and RB Leipzig is about as impressive as it gets before slipping into uber-diddies like Blackburn, Fulham, Derby and Rangers. 

You end up where you deserve to in football, and the clubs the Slovenian's play for indicate they're probably better than Scotland.

Archived