Scotland squad March

11 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Phillips was given chances years ago and isn't good enough for international football.

The rigorous application of this criterion would see us barely able to field a five a side team. 

Phillips is in form, playing at a good level, and deserves a shot.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole "not good enough for international football" thing is a bit of a cliche too.  Kyle Lafferty and David Healy I seem to remember weren't deemed good enough for club football, still pretty successful for N. Ireland.  Hutton was barely playing either when he was putting in fairly decent performances for us.

If a player wants to be involved, and he isn't an obvious downgrade on someone we already have fit and available, then he deserves a chance, particularly in a game like the Canada one.  

If he does, I wouldn't be that fussed to be honest.  He's not markedly better than what we have, but he's not markedly worse.  Probably playing better than when he retired, and you know you'll get all kinds of effort from him.  Maybe it'll encourage the other forwards to up their game too.

I don't think he will end up getting called up for what it's worth, but wouldn't be surprised if he did.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

It'd a right red neck for the other strikers if Miller was recalled. It's where we are though - none of the other usual suspects give you the feeling that they're really going to trouble the opposition defence.

If the other strikers were good enough, it wouldn't be an option. We don't even know if Gordon Strachan is considering it anyways. The only thing I've seen is Terry Butcher saying it could happen on the BBC Gossip Column.

4 hours ago, Frankie S said:

The rigorous application of this criterion would see us barely able to field a five a side team. 

Phillips is in form, playing at a good level, and deserves a shot.

agreed, would be absolute madness not to bring in a player in form from the premier league. why pick ritchie over phillips?

agreed, would be absolute madness not to bring in a player in form from the premier league. why pick ritchie over phillips?

Well, they offer something completely different. There's room in the squad for both.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well, they offer something completely different. There's room in the squad for both.

i didnt mean ritchie should be selected , i was meaning both in form players one in the championship , one in the prem you'd think they'd include phillips too

2 hours ago, forameus said:

If he does, I wouldn't be that fussed to be honest.  He's not markedly better than what we have, but he's not markedly worse.  Probably playing better than when he retired, and you know you'll get all kinds of effort from him.  Maybe it'll encourage the other forwards to up their game too.

I don't think he will end up getting called up for what it's worth, but wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I was happy when he originally called it quits as was sick of the sitters he missed however, based on current form and the fact that even at 37 he is actually quick and mobile could he actually and really do any worse?? If he is called up I agree with the comments above that it might embarrass some of the younger lads into getting their finger out and actually performing for their clubs instead of sitting on a bench collecting money.

Cant actually believe I am saying this but If the choice is between Miller and Fletcher it would be Miller at the moment with Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie behind and you then have a potential of Phillips and Fraser off the bench with, hopefully, the likes of Forrest nowhere to be seen!!

10 hours ago, Enigma said:

McKay and Forrest over Burke, Fraser and Phillips?! Shitting Christ!

I wouldn't worry too much about anything RandomGuy says. It's only that there's a decent chance Strachan will pick this, but that's always been the case.

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

An attacking four of McKay, Armstrong, Forrest and Miller is the anticipated attack.

I can only assume, hope, pray, that this is a troll. If it isn't then my interest in the national team dies in March.

Archived