Council, IndyRef, Brexit Spreadheet

Reluctant Hero

With the council elections just around the corner, I thought it would be useful to have a spreadsheet that showed the results of the 2012 election so we have a useful reference source.

I also thought it would be useful to layer the Indyref and Brexit results into the mix since they were conducted at council level as well.  Don't know what the hell the information tells us, but it is there anyway lol!

Anyway, I have pulled a spreadsheet together (which you use at your own risk (it was working and was virus free when I uploaded it to Google, but you should run it through your anti-virus software before you use it to make doubly sure)).  The spreadsheet can be reached by clicking the link below.  For the file to work properly, you will have to download it into Excel (probably Excel 2013 or later).  The file also has a macro in it which you will need to enable to get the full functionality of the file.  If you are nervous about macros, you can investigate the macro code before you enable the macro by downloading the file, then pressing ALT+F11.  But basically, I have drawn a map of Scotland and the macro code fills in each council area, depending on which view you want to see.

Anyway, onto the spreadsheet!  The information in the spreadsheet is accurate to the best of my knowledge, but again you use the information at your own risk and I can't be held responsible for any inaccuracies.

The first sheet -Interactive Map – is my best attempt at drawing a map of Scotland!  Using the selector the map changes, based on the selection you make.  If you select either of the 2017 options, the map is blank at the moment, but you can fill in the various council information in tab “2017 Results” and then select the 2017 option again and the map should change.  If you click on any of the Council areas of the map, this will take you to a tab that has specific information for that council area relating to the 2012 election.

The second sheet – Summary- gives various summary information about each council area.

The third sheet – 2017 Results – This is where you can enter the information about which party has most votes and seats in each council area once the 2017 results are known.

Other sheets – From Aberdeen City onwards – These sheets have (again my best attempts!) of drawings of each of the wards in each council area.  If you hover over them, it will tell you which ward is which.  The ward is coloured on the basis of the party with the most 1st round votes in that ward.

In the middle, there is a blank table.  If you click on the Select Ward cell, an arrow for a drop down menu will appear.  Then you have an option of choosing any of the wards in that council area.  By clicking on any  ward, the 2012 election 1st round result for that ward will appear as well as showing who all got elected from the ward.

On the right hand side of the sheet, there are two summary tables with various information.

You can return to the interactive map of Scotland from any of these sheets by clicking on “Click to return to Scottish map”

I haven’t tested this on any other computer apart from my laptop, so hopefully it will work OK for everyone.   Even if the maps don’t necessarily work, it is still a useful reference point to have all the information in the same place.  Particularly to see where Labour are at risk of getting obliterated or to see where they might expect to cling on.

Link to spreasheet

Good to know that it will work on most versions - thanks

Yeah, it took a bit longer than 5 minutes.  The most time consuming bit was drawing the council wards.  The rest was relatively simple.

Hopefully people will find it useful in the lead up to the election.

• 3 months later...
On 1/12/2017 at 23:00, Reluctant Hero said:

With the council elections just around the corner, I thought it would be useful to have a spreadsheet that showed the results of the 2012 election so we have a useful reference source.

I also thought it would be useful to layer the Indyref and Brexit results into the mix since they were conducted at council level as well.  Don't know what the hell the information tells us, but it is there anyway lol!

Anyway, I have pulled a spreadsheet together (which you use at your own risk (it was working and was virus free when I uploaded it to Google, but you should run it through your anti-virus software before you use it to make doubly sure)).  The spreadsheet can be reached by clicking the link below.  For the file to work properly, you will have to download it into Excel (probably Excel 2013 or later).  The file also has a macro in it which you will need to enable to get the full functionality of the file.  If you are nervous about macros, you can investigate the macro code before you enable the macro by downloading the file, then pressing ALT+F11.  But basically, I have drawn a map of Scotland and the macro code fills in each council area, depending on which view you want to see.

Anyway, onto the spreadsheet!  The information in the spreadsheet is accurate to the best of my knowledge, but again you use the information at your own risk and I can't be held responsible for any inaccuracies.

The first sheet -Interactive Map – is my best attempt at drawing a map of Scotland!  Using the selector the map changes, based on the selection you make.  If you select either of the 2017 options, the map is blank at the moment, but you can fill in the various council information in tab “2017 Results” and then select the 2017 option again and the map should change.  If you click on any of the Council areas of the map, this will take you to a tab that has specific information for that council area relating to the 2012 election.

The second sheet – Summary- gives various summary information about each council area.

The third sheet – 2017 Results – This is where you can enter the information about which party has most votes and seats in each council area once the 2017 results are known.

Other sheets – From Aberdeen City onwards – These sheets have (again my best attempts!) of drawings of each of the wards in each council area.  If you hover over them, it will tell you which ward is which.  The ward is coloured on the basis of the party with the most 1st round votes in that ward.

In the middle, there is a blank table.  If you click on the Select Ward cell, an arrow for a drop down menu will appear.  Then you have an option of choosing any of the wards in that council area.  By clicking on any  ward, the 2012 election 1st round result for that ward will appear as well as showing who all got elected from the ward.

On the right hand side of the sheet, there are two summary tables with various information.

You can return to the interactive map of Scotland from any of these sheets by clicking on “Click to return to Scottish map”

I haven’t tested this on any other computer apart from my laptop, so hopefully it will work OK for everyone.   Even if the maps don’t necessarily work, it is still a useful reference point to have all the information in the same place.  Particularly to see where Labour are at risk of getting obliterated or to see where they might expect to cling on.

Link to spreasheet

Just in case anyone wants to see the results, turnout etc for their ward for 2012 ahead of this year's results tomorrow :)

Archived