Uefa Report

Didn't see a thread on the Uefa report that was published today. STV have a good summary here.

The main headline that jumped out for me was around the contributions of the "traditional" revenue sources of Punters & Sponsorship (76%) Vs TV Revenue (13%) in Scotland. 

Given the way that TV is treated like some sort of un-touchable god by those running the game, those figures make interesting reading. Even allowing for the fact that Sponsorship is obviously linked to TV exposure, the fact that supporters are treated as an afterthought by the game's administrators looks indefensible when we realise that Scottish clubs rely on paying punters more than any other league in Europe. Definitely one to think about when you're heading for your next 12:30 kick-off on a Sunday (or more likely aren't as the train can't get you there on time) or when your season ticket is made uneconomic by matches being rescheduled at the behest of the 13%-ers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Didn't see a thread on the Uefa report that was published today. STV have a good summary here.

The main headline that jumped out for me was around the contributions of the "traditional" revenue sources of Punters & Sponsorship (76%) Vs TV Revenue (13%) in Scotland. 

Given the way that TV is treated like some sort of un-touchable god by those running the game, those figures make interesting reading. Even allowing for the fact that Sponsorship is obviously linked to TV exposure, the fact that supporters are treated as an afterthought by the game's administrators looks indefensible when we realise that Scottish clubs rely on paying punters more than any other league in Europe. Definitely one to think about when you're heading for your next 12:30 kick-off on a Sunday (or more likely aren't as the train can't get you there on time) or when your season ticket is made uneconomic by matches being rescheduled at the behest of the 13%-ers.

Hi

is that all Scottish clubs down to HL/LL leagues level, or just the top divs?

19 minutes ago, Swello said:

Ive been saying this for ages, why do we bend over backwards when in relative terms we get so little off them?  Didnt relise %age wise it was that low though.

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

Sponsorship is obviously linked to TV exposure

Of course for most clubs in Scotland their lack of tv exposure means raising their own sponsorship income is greatly hampered. 

I'm sure figures at UK / Scottish level were published before saying ticket sales alone made up something like 45% of club income (UEFA says 37% but they might be counting things like hospitality separately) and TV only 20% (again is a bit more than UEFA's figure but again there could be explanation). Do clubs actually lose more money from a BBC Alba game on free TV on a Saturday teatime, Friday evening or Sunday afternoon, than their share of the SPFL's annual fee represents? It's quite possible. I suspect TV is worth more than 13% to smaller clubs, though.

Extremely positive figures regarding attendances, debt, assets and loss-making. Doom-and-gloom stories on that front again confirmed as misplaced.

In terms of using these figures as a comparison to other countries as some kind of ranking: it will jump next season when it comes to top division aggregate turnover and attendances as Rangers will be included in the figures. You a have to be careful when it comes to TV cash - remember some leagues have centralised overseas streaming, whereas here it's club-by-club, and remember that some countries put every game on TV whereas here only 60 or 65 or whatever it is are sold.

I wonder how different it would be if we had our own broadcasters. We must be in a unique situation in Europe where our two main live broadcasters are based in England (UK).
I suppose in countries like Denmark, etc, there's just as much appetite for English/Spanish/German football, but do the Danish matches get priority..?

Wrote my dissertation partly on this last year. A lot of people complain about ticket prices being too high but it seems necessary given the high % of income it provides and the evidence shows that dropping the price doesn't attract enough people to make up for the shortfall.

Interesting that the proportion of revenue from gate receipts has gone up from last year. I'd imagine that having Hearts' attendances instead of St Mirren's being compared to static TV income would explain this.

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

I wonder how different it would be if we had our own broadcasters. We must be in a unique situation in Europe where our two main live broadcasters are based in England (UK).
I suppose in countries like Denmark, etc, there's just as much appetite for English/Spanish/German football, but do the Danish matches get priority..?

Denmark have every match live on TV each at set times:

Saturday 5pm
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 4pm
Sunday 4pm
Sunday 6pm
Monday 7pm

The issue is every country in Europe bar Scotland has set TV times, since the scrapping of the 6.05pm kick-offs Scotland has refused to follow the rest of Europe, and that's why our TV deals have suffered.

I'd have thought that beyond the obvious takeaway of just how dependent on fans the game is up here the broader question would be re: Doncaster & the SPFL.

The disparity between the revenue % is huge and I'd imagine that a lot of the work being done to get fans and sponsorship in is by the clubs themselves individually.

In which case, even ignoring his history of being utterly useless, you'd have thought this sort of evidence would be a valid cause for reviewing Doncaster's position and asking whether he is actually doing enough to warrant being in the role.

The Daily Record have a story about us having the 16th highest TV revenue and how it's a travesty that we're behind countries like Denmark, Poland and Romania. Given that we're about 22nd/23rd in the league coefficient rankings then we're actually punching above our weight there and may have actually been higher had the value of the pound not fallen against the euro.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd have thought that beyond the obvious takeaway of just how dependent on fans the game is up here the broader question would be re: Doncaster & the SPFL.

The disparity between the revenue % is huge and I'd imagine that a lot of the work being done to get fans and sponsorship in is being done by the clubs themselves individually.

In which case, even ignoring his history of being utterly useless, you'd have thought this sort of evidence would be a valid cause for reviewing Doncaster's position and asking whether he is actually doing enough to warrant being in the role.

This also goes part of the way towards explaining Swello's original point about TV money being some kind of untouchable god by those running the game.  If Doncaster & co had to rely on the clubs passing on a share of the gate and sponsorship money, he'd be living a much less comfortable lifestyle than he is.  Since the TV money is distributed from the top down, the SPFL are in a much better position to rake off their share.

7 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Denmark have every match live on TV each at set times:

Saturday 5pm
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 4pm
Sunday 4pm
Sunday 6pm
Monday 7pm

The issue is every country in Europe bar Scotland has set TV times, since the scrapping of the 6.05pm kick-offs Scotland has refused to follow the rest of Europe, and that's why our TV deals have suffered.

What's the background to that? I always assumed that as we are in the unusual situation of our main TV coverage being on a "foreign" broadcaster, we are just getting the graveyard slots (and channels) that don't clash with EPL slots, etc. Are you saying that the SPFL (and predecessors) refused to have standard slots rather than having the current times imposed on them?

3 hours ago, Swello said:

What's the background to that? I always assumed that as we are in the unusual situation of our main TV coverage being on a "foreign" broadcaster, we are just getting the graveyard slots (and channels) that don't clash with EPL slots, etc. Are you saying that the SPFL (and predecessors) refused to have standard slots rather than having the current times imposed on them?

When the SPL started in 1998, there was a weekly Sunday 6.05pm kick-off live on Sky but after an OF game was played a 6.05pm and there was 113 arrests, the 6,05 slot was binned (as was the TV deal that came with it) which has left Scotland with the poor slots that almost always clash with an English match on a rival broadcaster.

Personally, I think Scotland should re-introduce the 6,05pm slot (as it doesn't clash with any other live matches) and have a live Friday night slot. As these are the two times that clash with the Premier League TV games, the least.

2 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

When the SPL started in 1998, there was a weekly Sunday 6.05pm kick-off live on Sky but after an OF game was played a 6.05pm and there was 113 arrests, the 6,05 slot was binned (as was the TV deal that came with it) which has left Scotland with the poor slots that almost always clash with an English match on a rival broadcaster.

Personally, I think Scotland should re-introduce the 6,05pm slot (as it doesn't clash with any other live matches) and have a live Friday night slot. As these are the two times that clash with the Premier League TV games, the least.

That's not quite right. The Old Firm game caused their matches to be moved but the Sunday 6:05 kickoff remained for another couple of years. 

It then got shifted to a Saturday evening at 5:30 for a year (at a time when we also had highlights on TV every Saturday night).

It was when the SPL attempted to leave Sky and start SPL TV things changed.  The idea collapsed and they were forced to sign a panic deal with the BBC.  I think this ended the highlights package in favour of a live game every Sunday.  It's pretty much the point where Scottish footballs tv coverage turned to shit though. 

3 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

The Daily Record have a story about us having the 16th highest TV revenue and how it's a travesty that we're behind countries like Denmark, Poland and Romania. Given that we're about 22nd/23rd in the league coefficient rankings then we're actually punching above our weight there and may have actually been higher had the value of the pound not fallen against the euro.

They also fail to point out, as HJ says earlier, Denmark, Poland & Romania show every game on TV compared to our 60 or so. Game by game we're paid about £100,000 more than any of them...though that does us no good at all.

The record also mutters about the disparity between Scotland & England as usual, completely missing the point they're not comparing like for like, but as Swello says above our main broadcasters SKY/BT pander to the belief that the OF are the only game in town (while at the same time inflicting Palace-v-Swanse etc on Scots) and they will pay us on that basis - a filler item.

Mind you, even if we were to get a national broadcaster that was willing to pay, say, £100M, we all know that £70M of it would be siphoned straight to Glasgow to the OF so they could compete in Europe (and against each other) - they have no interest in making the Prem competitive beyond themselves.

Archived