Brechin v Q.P.

Great result tonight and a much needed 3 points. First of all, credit to Darren Dods for changing it up formation wise and going with 4 at the back and playing with more attacking intent. We've been crying out for this change and tonight we got it. Had we been playing with our usual formation we'd have probably struggled to get back into the game tonight after going a goal down, but we pressed them and got forward at every opportunity. The game should probably have been out of sight at half time had it not been for some excellent goalkeeping.

Second half we struggled a bit and found ourselves a lot deeper but that's only natural when you take into account the poor run we've been on and the fact we were only a goal ahead when it should have been more. Excellent finish by the ever impressive Jacko to wrap up the win.

Let's use this as a springboard for the rest of the campaign and push for a playoff spot as opposed to looking over our shoulders.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started following the spiders again this season and the tail end of last season after becoming more and more fed up with my local team (ashfield). Always used to go to the Queens games with my grandad and regardless of the result we would always play decent football however we are terrible to watch. Gus done well to get us promoted but it was a wonder goal that actually did it and over the 2 legs we were the better team but this season we have been playing poor and some of his "tactics" at times are crazy. Time up for me Gus I think...

5 minutes ago, Fieldofash said:

Started following the spiders again this season and the tail end of last season after becoming more and more fed up with my local team (ashfield). Always used to go to the Queens games with my grandad and regardless of the result we would always play decent football however we are terrible to watch. Gus done well to get us promoted but it was a wonder goal that actually did it and over the 2 legs we were the better team but this season we have been playing poor and some of his "tactics" at times are crazy. Time up for me Gus I think...

Shut up 

Can't complain. Hardly played after we took the early lead and lost 2 poor goals, especially the second. Could have been a few behind at half time if it wasn't for Muir. 
Second half was better but didn't work the keeper enough. Had a succession if corners that were well defended and had a header on target late on. All Brechin had to do was soak it up and hit on the break and that was how they got the third. Very disappointing after a great start but the better team won

Good post Mick. Spot on. Our stalwart defence increasingly looking shaky and again it took a defender to score the goal. McIlduff and Orsi both looked good again. I hope both get a steady run soon. Surprised at the Millen sub.

Can't see Saturday being much fun.

Well done City. Solid defence and did the important things up front perfectly.

Great result just what we needed. As was said before good to see dods has relised about the tactics and changed it made a big difference hopefully more of the same on Saturday. Thought fusco had a great game even showing a bit of style with his wee turns and with braking up the play

19 minutes ago, hedgeman83 said:

Great result just what we needed. As was said before good to see dods has relised about the tactics and changed it made a big difference hopefully more of the same on Saturday. Thought fusco had a great game even showing a bit of style with his wee turns and with braking up the play

Aye Fusco was really good but I thought Watt was man of the match . He was tireless . He also broke up a lot of QP's  attacks especially in the first half. A great run and through ball to Jacko for the third goal as well.  Glad to see that eventually coming off as he tried the whole game to catch the Queens defence on the turn. 

Things are starting to look a bit rosier again but dare I say it , we lost another soft goal to a free kick .  Sort that out and we are not far off the finished article. 

7 hours ago, an86 said:

f**k up.

Great input. Tell me exactly what our strongest team and formation is please. Oh and less of the cheek, telling a fellow supporter to f up because he has a different opinion to you sums queens up at the moment. 

Aye Fusco was really good but I thought Watt was man of the match . He was tireless . He also broke up a lot of QP's  attacks especially in the first half. A great run and through ball to Jacko for the third goal as well.  Glad to see that eventually coming off as he tried the whole game to catch the Queens defence on the turn. 
Things are starting to look a bit rosier again but dare I say it , we lost another soft goal to a free kick .  Sort that out and we are not far off the finished article. 

Yeah watt had a good game starting to look like the player he was last season. Yeah was a soft goal few of the set off a few of the moaners beside me [emoji23] even 2 1 up they were at it [emoji23]

Just shows we all have different takes on the game I thought Finn looked the part. Allowed to get up top, retained the ball well n worked hard as did the team. So hopefully the lads can put it together for the rest of the season. "Mon the City "

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. A forum is designed for debate and differing views. You're usually more creative with your repost. Emotion and fatigue are a bad mix.

Nope. Anyone who thinks MacPherson should go is an imbecile.

11 hours ago, Fieldofash said:

How you think Gus should go, I'll never know. He's done a remarkable job this season considering most of his signings are juniors or players that are deemed not good enough at other other teams within our league. We're two points off 3rd and 5 clear of 9th. I think most fans would of been content with competing in the league, nevermind even contemplating about the promotion play off spots. Think we should all be happy with the situation we are in the now because it's unlikely we'll do as well as this in the coming seasons.  

On last night, Brechin did to us what we've done to teams at times this season. They took their chances and snuffed out any threat. Really unlike us to drop the ball as we did when ahead. Criminal defending for the first and second goal. Wullie Muir saved us from being even further behind as well.

Tough park to play on, but they just swept every long ball up. Looked a bit better in the second half, but created very little aside from a well saved late header. Bad day at the office, but we're still a mile ahead of where we would have expected to be. Those of us who haven't been watching Ashfield will appreciate that.

16 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Given the players I'm seeing on the pitch during the warm up, I'm guessing QP cut and pasted that squad news from before Saturday's game. Cummins and Zanatta both playing. Shoddy communication 

Brechin announced that they had issued the teamsheet that was prepared for the original match; better that than nothing for us people that are interested in picking up bits of paper from games..

Great start and then we died for an hour, with Wullie Muir keeping us in the game.  We seemed off the pace at the back, whilst the Brechin centre backs didn't put a foot wrong all night, with the possible exception of our goal, which was well-taken by Wharton.

We perked up considerably in the second half and were definitely worth a goal.  Fair play to Gus for really chasing the game, but some days yer luck's not in.  The third goal at the death will be hiding-behind-the-hands stuff on the filmed coverage as City strolled through us.

Great soup and steak pies; pitch cut up dreadfully; Muir and McKernon (I can never spell the guy's name!) excellent, with Zanatta looking to be a bit of a handful now that he has developed a physical presence.

Bring on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. A forum is designed for debate and differing views. You're usually more creative with your repost. Emotion and fatigue are a bad mix.

To be fair his repost was only slightly less creative than mine. No more emotional ( or knee jerk ) than wanting the head coach sacked after losing at a ground where we've won 3 times in around 50 years. I remember the season we finished the worst team in Scotland underr Cowboy and we were 5 down at half time at Glebe Park. Poor or terrible would be a kind description of that team. These are halcyon days in comparison     

1 hour ago, hedgeman83 said:

Yeah watt had a good game starting to look like the player he was last season. Yeah was a soft goal few of the set off a few of the moaners beside me emoji23.png even 2 1 up they were at it emoji23.png

I try to avoid the cemetry end but went to the toilet in 2nd half. On my way back I heard them in full flow.  All I can say is wow. That wasn't moaning it was just abusive shouting for the sake of it.  The one that got me was ..." Come on Jacko put some fuckin effort in !!!! "  Followed with  ..." Come on Dods , fuckin do something " .  :1eye

Unbelievable Jeff ! 

4 hours ago, Fieldofash said:

Oh and less of the cheek,

Pot and kettle. Still think you must be on the wind up but I'll play along anyway...

When Gus took charge 3 years ago we were bottom of the league, the worst team in Scotland.

His first full season we finish 2nd and narrowly lose in the play off final

Last season we finish 4th and win promotion via the play offs, deservedly over the 4 games 

This season he currently has us mid table in League 1, closer to the promotion play offs than relegation

We've all got our opinions on how we like to see the beautiful game played but this is QP not Man U. We don't sack successful coaches just because a few fans like to grumble about some performances not being aesthetically pleasing on their eyes. This season was always going to be different from last, where we'd travel midweek to Montrose and rip them apart 6-1. Standard is higher. If we're so "poor" then how have we managed to beat the league leaders twice?  Get a grip

35 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Brechin announced that they had issued the teamsheet that was prepared for the original match; better that than nothing for us people that are interested in picking up bits of paper from games..

I was referring to the squad news on our club's website yesterday, not the team sheets issued by Brechin

4 hours ago, hedgeman83 said:

Yeah I stand beside them with the Mrs and some of the stuff they shout it over the top and not helpful hope I'm not tarred with the same brush maybe time to move emoji23.png

All quiet from them today though. Amazing what a win does !!  :rolleyes:

Archived