Scotland friendly

MEADOWXI

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Easter Road would be good for this one

Anywhere but Hampden

Hampden on the Sunday ( hopefully a near full house) v Slovenia,

Canada on the Wednesday I cannot see it breaking 20,000. Which makes it

For travel would prefer Pittodrie, but agree that Easter Road would be good too.

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Anywhere but Hampden

For travel would prefer Pittodrie, but agree that Easter Road would be good too.

A full house versus Slovenia :lol:

Be lucky if the competitive game surpasses 20 000. 

Couldn't see anything like 20,000:

August 2012 - Scotland v Australia (ER) - 11,110
June 2015 - Scotland v Qatar (ER) - 14,270

Going by the shambles of the 2 youth internationals at Tynecastle in recent times - in Victory Shield and U21s qualifying - I shudder at the thought of SFA organising a full international there.

We played Canada at ER in 2002 before 16,207 (near sell-out). That was in the early, optimistic days of Berti Vogts reign and would get lower now. Personally I'd take it to Tannadice. No full international in Dundee since 1936; only 1 B international ever (in 2003); only 1 U21 international since 2003 (in 2014). Seems to get ignored and 14,000 capacity should be ideal.

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Anywhere but Hampden

The Lithuania game, where there was a sense of hope, didn't even nearly sell out. There will be even less at Slovenia.

I agree with hibeejibee, tannadice would be ideal. I'd think it'd sell out, due it being so long since a full international was held there. However, knowing the SFA I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up charging ~£30 a ticket

1 minute ago, MeadowArab said:

I agree with hibeejibee, tannadice would be ideal. I'd think it'd sell out, due it being so long since a full international was held there. However, knowing the SFA I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up charging ~£30 a ticket

Tannadice has never been used for a full international and there's only been 4 in total in Dundee, the last in 1936.

Full representative football here has always been Strathclyde-centric, with the possible exception of the U23s/U21s which always seems to have get spread around a bit.

According to Wikipedia some 306 of 348 full internationals have been in Glasgow with 8 more in Greenock, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Paisley leaving Edinburgh (16) Aberdeen (14) and Dundee (4). This is perhaps understandable due to the crowds, Hampden and so on. In the 1950s there were 2 B internationals, one each at Dundee and Edinburgh - but since their revival in the 1980s Airdrie, Cumbernauld, Glasgow and Kilmarnock total 7 out of 14 in opposition to Aberdeen (2), Edinburgh (2), Dundee (1), Inverness (1) and Perth (1).

Having just looked it up what I find especially surprising is that of 80-odd home Inter League internationals between 1892 and 1980 just 7 were held outside Glasgow - all before WWI except for 2 in the 1920s - in Edinburgh (3), Dundee (2), Motherwell (1) and Paisley (1). This despite Hampden featuring very sparingly.

Two internationals against the British Army were played at Tynecastle in 1949 and 1958 - three more at Hampden, Clyde and Motherwell.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Surely playing 120th can't benefit our ranking. Must be the poorest opposition we've played in recent friendlies. Even Qatar were inside the top 100 in 2015.

They'll likely scud us as well. But as long as dross who can't get a club game get some playing time then it's all worth it.

Archived