Sympathy for the devil?

stimpy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be willing to bet that sticking up a couple of barriers would cost the taxpayer a hell of a lot less than the direct costs of closing the bridge, clearing it up and repairing it. That's not even counting the indirect cost to 'taxpayers' through cost to the wider economy.
That's completely aside from the danger to lives and property of lorries crossing in high winds.
They haven't done it so far, isn't really a good argument against it. Good ideas tend not to be implemented until they are.

I'm sure you're right, just looking at it from Joe Public's point of view. I was more suggesting there was a reason (cost/feasibility) it hasn't been considered (as far as I know) on the new bridge rather than it isn't a good idea.

1 hour ago, NorthernJambo said:

I'm sure you're right, just looking at it from Joe Public's point of view. I was more suggesting there was a reason (cost/feasibility) it hasn't been considered (as far as I know) on the new bridge rather than it isn't a good idea.

I suppose it's easy to assume that warnings are enough for people but all it takes is one idiot to chance it. Apparently the new bridge has got some kind of wind speed reducing technology already so something like that might not be needed.

In 20-20 hindsight though, barriers would have a been very low cost fix to avoid an, admittedly, unlikely scenario but one that is potentially extremely costly if it does happen. To me, that's a bit of a no-brainer in the vast majority of circumstances.

It's the nanny state aspect I have an issue with 8mile. It feels like another example of dumbing down to cater for fuckwits.

This is what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

It's not about this isolated incident-it's about accepting the idea that we need to adopt systems to be foolproof regardless. First this bridge - then another...then another etc etc. And let's not stop at bridges.

By Monday we'll all have forgotten about it.

54 minutes ago, hk blues said:

This is what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

It's not about this isolated incident-it's about accepting the idea that we need to adopt systems to be foolproof regardless. First this bridge - then another...then another etc etc. And let's not stop at bridges.

By Monday we'll all have forgotten about it.

Not to mention the fact that if height barriers were brought in there would still be drivers who would attempt to drive under them like the numerous low bridge strikes you get every year.

How many times have high sided vehicles driving over the bridge when it's been closed to them during high winds caused an accident?

How many times have high sided vehicles driven over the bridge when it's been closed to them without causing an accident?  There are cameras on the bridge at the moment, are they just traffic flow / speed cameras or do they pick up high sided vehicles illegally crossing?

As I said above, I'm aware of two incidents where a high sided vehicle has caused an accident while driving over the bridge when it was closed to high sided vehicles. Are there any more examples?  Is it worth taking money away from other areas of maintenance of the bridge to pay for height barriers?

Windshields for the new one it is,

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-38598155

Could a windshield keep the new Forth bridge open?

By Steven Brocklehurst BBC Scotland news website

Image copyright Forth Road Bridge

Most of Scotland's major bridges were closed to high-sided vehicles on Wednesday as gales battered the country, but the new Queensferry Crossing will have a windshield to protect it from the elements. Will it work?

The new Queensferry Crossing, due to open in the summer, will not be closed by high winds, its designers have said.

The new bridge across the Forth between Edinburgh and Fife has been fitted with 2.7m-high baffle barriers to break up and deflect gusts of wind.

They have been modelled in a wind tunnel by Italian engineers and tested on sections of road near the bridge.

Bridge operators say the wind shields should "almost entirely eliminate the need for closures".

Image copyright White House Studios 2016 Image caption The wind barrier is being tested on an approach road to the bridge

That is in stark contrast to the current Forth Road Bridge which is often closed to high-sided vehicles and HGVs as winds blow up the river estuary.

On Wednesday, the bridge was closed for the entire day as a lorry was blown over in the storm. The bridge had been officially closed to lorries at the time.

On Thursday, Scottish Tory deputy leader Murdo Fraser, a regional MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife, raised the issue during First Minister's Questions at Holyrood.

He said: "It will not have escaped the notice of my constituents that if the new Queensferry Crossing, with its windshielding, had been opened in December, as the first minister previously promised, they might well have been spared this disruption."

Ms Sturgeon replied that the contractual completion date for the crossing was June this year and it was "on track" for that date.

Image copyright Transport Scotland Image caption The Queensferry Crossing will open in May

16 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Windshields for the new one it is,

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-38598155

Could a windshield keep the new Forth bridge open?

By Steven Brocklehurst BBC Scotland news website

Image copyright Forth Road Bridge

Most of Scotland's major bridges were closed to high-sided vehicles on Wednesday as gales battered the country, but the new Queensferry Crossing will have a windshield to protect it from the elements. Will it work?

The new Queensferry Crossing, due to open in the summer, will not be closed by high winds, its designers have said.

The new bridge across the Forth between Edinburgh and Fife has been fitted with 2.7m-high baffle barriers to break up and deflect gusts of wind.

They have been modelled in a wind tunnel by Italian engineers and tested on sections of road near the bridge.

Bridge operators say the wind shields should "almost entirely eliminate the need for closures".

Image copyright White House Studios 2016 Image caption The wind barrier is being tested on an approach road to the bridge

That is in stark contrast to the current Forth Road Bridge which is often closed to high-sided vehicles and HGVs as winds blow up the river estuary.

On Wednesday, the bridge was closed for the entire day as a lorry was blown over in the storm. The bridge had been officially closed to lorries at the time.

On Thursday, Scottish Tory deputy leader Murdo Fraser, a regional MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife, raised the issue during First Minister's Questions at Holyrood.

He said: "It will not have escaped the notice of my constituents that if the new Queensferry Crossing, with its windshielding, had been opened in December, as the first minister previously promised, they might well have been spared this disruption."

Ms Sturgeon replied that the contractual completion date for the crossing was June this year and it was "on track" for that date.

Image copyright Transport Scotland Image caption The Queensferry Crossing will open in May

23 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I think the new bridge has some sort of wind barriers. No idea what they look like or what they are but it was part of the general mission statement about the new crossing that it would have some state of the art wind deflection stuff to stop closures. 

Eta...

Pretty vague.. Current bridge stays open to cars in up to 80mph winds. New bridge wind deflectors can cope with wind up to 70mph. be interesting to see how it copes when it gets really windy.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/queensferry-crossing-bridge-to-beat-forth-weather-1-3303288 

I'm still not seeing anything that says it will remain open to high sided vehicles. They say it will remain open to "vehicles" and is rated to 70mph. The current bridge stays "open to vehicles" up to 80 mph. 

52 minutes ago, Chip Poindexter said:

What about planting a row of wind turbines across either side of the bridges, these could deflect the wind and make crossing safe.

To be on the extra safe side the electricity generated could be wired to footbridges that are strategically placed before either side of the bridges and dangle down live wires that when they come in to contact with high sided vehicles that could alert the drivers to take an alternative route by sending them a shock?

Wee bit OTT TBH m8.

Archived