Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Booker-T

Aberdeen Football Club (1881) / same club?

61 posts in this topic

It's well known that Aberdeen FC formed in 1903 following the merger of 3 clubs.

BUT why isn't Aberdeen FC (1903) considered to be the same club as it's 1881 namesake considering the 1881 version also played at pittodrie?

Surely it was more of a takeover than a merger considering the name and location. Did the other 2 teams also play at Pittodrie? What were the crowds like? What motivated the merger?

New company = New club?

1 hour ago, Booker-T said:

It's well known that Aberdeen FC formed in 1903 following the merger of 3 clubs.

BUT why isn't Aberdeen FC (1903) considered to be the same club as it's 1881 namesake considering the 1881 version also played at pittodrie?

Surely it was more of a takeover than a merger considering the name and location. Did the other 2 teams also play at Pittodrie? What were the crowds like? What motivated the merger?

New company = New club?

Victoria United played at Central Park, Kittybrewster
Orion played at Cattofield

http://backoffice.afc.co.uk/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=10948&season=1901-02&squad=Senior

I had a quick look at the records and the original Aberdeen FC were the only team in the city not to win the Northern League title

I suspect that they may have ben a rubbish club with a good ground while the Orion and Vics were good teams with rubbish grounds.

Hopefully someone on here has read "The Aberdeen Men Can't Play Football: An Early History of Football in Aberdeen, 1881-1903" by Fraser Clyne and can put us right
https://stv.tv/news/north/203950-balls-brawls-and-bailiffs-paint-picture-of-the-dons-before-1903/

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

The Dons have 1903 on their badge do they not so one would assume that is their formation year.

Also they have never been liquidated for being a shower of cheating b*****ds.

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Victoria United played at Central Park, Kittybrewster
Orion played at Cattofield

http://backoffice.afc.co.uk/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=10948&season=1901-02&squad=Senior

I had a quick look at the records and the original Aberdeen FC were the only team in the city not to win the Northern League title

I suspect that they may have ben a rubbish club with a good ground while the Orion and Vics were good teams with rubbish grounds.

Hopefully someone on here has read "The Aberdeen Men Can't Play Football: An Early History of Football in Aberdeen, 1881-1903" by Fraser Clyne and can put us right
https://stv.tv/news/north/203950-balls-brawls-and-bailiffs-paint-picture-of-the-dons-before-1903/

Screenshot_32.jpg

Screenshot_33.jpg

Tbf, I wouldn't pay to watch football in Aberdeen either.

Sneaking into a charity match sums up Aberdonians tbh.

5 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Tbf, I wouldn't pay to watch football in Aberdeen either.

Very few Hertz fans do.

I'm a Victoria fan, wouldn't catch me dead supporting the original Aberdeen. Totally different club.

Aberdeen (1881) went into liquidation in 1903 and a new club was formed and called Aberdeen FC, which is the club we know today. It was accepted that this was a new club and Aberdeen FC (1903) now have 114 years of unbroken history. If you look in Aberdeen FC (1903) honours list you will see that no Aberdeen (1881) honours are included. 

and that's a fact. 

Edited by shootingboots

4 hours ago, Booker-T said:

New company = New club?

Three clubs did indeed merge to form what is do date Scotland's most successful club in Europe.

this was however in the infancy of Scottish fitba and in no way be likened to Rangers (rip) becoming sevco.

3 hours ago, shootingboots said:

Aberdeen (1881) went into liquidation in 1903 and a new club was formed and called Aberdeen FC, which is the club we know today. It was accepted that this was a new club and Aberdeen FC (1903) now have 117 of unbroken history. If you look in Aberdeen FC (1903) honours list you will see that no Aberdeen (1881) honours are included. 

and that's a fact. 

117 years? How did you manage that?

Do you mean 113 or now, 114 years?

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

117 years? How did you manage that?

Do you mean 113 or now, 114 years?

He's living in the future, IMHO