93-?? Kilmarnock top flight run - a history.

Although Kilmarnock are relatively recent additions to the top league, I particularly enjoyed this game in the mid 90's - a fine Tommy Coyne hatrick in a 4-2 win. A decent Killie team in those days to be fair as we were waning under McLeish.

Also - the day after we went into admin was a great atmosphere - I think the score was 4-1 to us as titans like Karl Ready turned out for us for the last time (I think)...

i started following killie about a year and a half before we got promoted i think. My dad took me and my pal all over scotland to see the Mighty blue and white, and eventually we joined a SA and bussed it, great times.
My favourite goal of that period was Paul Wright scoring an absolute rocket against Hibs on a Friday night on a televised game in late 96. That team was full of my killie heroes. Experience wise the absolute scenes at Easter Road when Jimmy MacIntyre scored late to take us to the SC final in 97, followed by the "Family Final" against our friends in Falkirk; and of course beating Celtic against all odds in 2012 in the League Cup final.
We were actually a proper team and proper club back in the 90s and early 00s, great crowds home and away, consistent, relative success, and then this p***k chairman/non-chairman and overall c**t comes in and runs the club into the ground. You could argue that we achieved it thanks to the runaway financials, but most clubs were the same.
We took some utter tankings too tho, i remember being feart everytime the OF came to town in their fancy buses and stars like laudrup and gascoigne, later with larsson etc etc. I always remember one of Di Canio's early games, it may even have been his debut, coming on as a sub and literally dancing through our defence to score a solo worldy.
Hearts felt like the other "big team" but i dont ever feel they had the beating of us regularly and we didnt fear anyone. We were actually a part of the league, we were important, and offered something to the game. Now, it just feels like we're just clinging on constantly. 
Rivalry wise, i always feel sorry for, and therefore have a soft spot for Falkirk, we seem to just edge you out when it comes to the crunch, that final day survival game was the worst i've felt at a game, especially when that lad poked the shot just over the bar with about 5 minutes to go, heart in mouth and shit in pants stuff. A*r can always, and forever, GTF. Won f**k all and never will. 
#KTID

You've just stolen a lot of my future material.

18 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I remember in 1990 Kilmarnock bringing around 2000 fans to Annfield when they were in the old second division (then the third and lowest tier) with Stirling Albion and I remember thinking that they were a huge club with a massive fanbase who should have been in the top flight.

Since being in that top flight their support has slowly dwindled, season upon season to the point where they barely scrape that 2000 figure of fans at some home games now. As an outsider looking in and, going from comments from a few Killie fans I've spoken to and the general consensus from some on here is that it is 90% down to their utter wankstain of a chairman who is actively driving fans away from the club.

The damage MJ seems to have done and potentialy still doing to Kilmarnock is imeasurable, absolute wrong 'un who is slowly killing that club IMO.

Well that's a turn up for the books , Magee getting green dotted by HWTBF fans , Kleenex time for him .

Like WRK I can remember pre 93 and the inception of the TB/Fleeting era . The years that followed are in stark contrast to today's , we had our fair share of column inches in the red tops , talking about our signings , our manager and our chairman , but in a positive manner .Fleeting had us believing that we were a big time club and he delivered the stadium the players and managers to attain that status. The fact that his own pockets contributed only a fraction of the costs are irrelevant, he delivered unlike a certain modern day ginger individual.

My abiding memory centres on Easter Road ...the semi final in 97 and that last day 0-0 draw in the sunshine of Leith . I've never sweated so much in my polyester acrylic football top in my life than on that last game of the season , and I include the more recent Falkirk matches to stay in the top division . It was , for me , because Bobby Fleeting had promised the shareholders at the open air meeting in the west stand prior to taking power that he would get us to and keep us in the top flight . He we been relegated in my eyes this would have been a greater failure than relegation to the 4 th tier . Happily for all Killie fans that didn't happen 

I remember the Killie players from that era, a lot of them ended up at Stirling Albion - Willie Watters, Tommy Tait, Robert Reilly, Ian McInnes and a few others. Outside the two big Glasgow clubs, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen they were the best supported club in the country, the crowds just seem to have gradually dwindled since the millenium. Ironically when Killie built those 3 new stands in the mid 90's they WERE needed as crowds for most games were around 10k, genuinely feel sorry for Kilmarnock fans seeing how they just arent getting anywhere near those numbers thanks, it would appear mainly thanks to that egotistical p***k of a chairman.

1994/1995 - The Second Season

The summer of 94 saw big changes for both Kilmarnock and the top division. Kilmarnock lost their manager Tommy Burns to his beloved Celtic. I was too young to remember it or understand but I would guess that the writing was on the wall from the minute Celtic sacked Lou Macari? It became quite a messy affair which ended up in court due to a tapping up claim. Killie won some compensation which was helped by Burns, a man of faith, quite famously telling the truth at the court case and admitting Fergus McCann/Celtic broke the rules. A lot of people believe that this led to Burns always being on McCanns bad side but I'm not sure if Celtic fans could confirm this.

Off the park as well we had some changes with the old Rugby Park being demolished and the beginnings of our current ground being built. Now of course a lot of people don't like RP and it is far too big for our support with an 18000 capacity but at the time I'm assuming a lot of clubs were looking at us with a bit of jealousy as the stadium was very modern at its time.

94/95 also saw the league drop back to 10 teams with Falkirk replacing the 3 teams relegated the previous year. This season also saw Scottish football move onto 3 points for a win as someone pointed out earlier in the thread.

On the field it was another challenging season for the club under new manager Alex Totten. I was just a waine so only at the odd game here and there but I vividly remember being on the terraces at Firhill on the opening day in glorious sunshine and losing 2-0. It seemed very busy that day in our end. We didn't actually win our first game that season until October with a 2-1 home win over Aberdeen and looking at results we must've been in the shit at the end of the first quarter of games as it appears that was our only win until we returned the favour against Thistle at home with a 2-0 win on 22nd October. It looks as if a strong run after Christmas eventually kept us up. I remember us doing the clean sweep over Aberdeen that year and seeing the news report on the Monday night STV news saying we were the first team to do so since it went to 4 games a season and being immensely proud of this feat.

Regarding the overall league it was a dreadful season for the New Firm with Dundee Utd finishing bottom with just 36 points and Aberdeen in the playoff spot. Aberdeen overcame Dunfermline in the playoff 6-2 but for the Dons and the DABS.......what the f**k happened? Based solely on your goal scorers I see it's looks as if both your teams were still pretty strong. Dundee Utd lost 5-0 to Hibs on day 1 and it must've just progressed from there.

Rangers won the league by a massive 15 points from Motherwell with Hibs coming in 3rd place. Celtic under Burns finished 4th with the same number of defeats as Rangers but draws killed them - this would happen again during the Burns era at Parkhead......or that should read Hampden as Celtic played their home games at the national stadium with Parkhead being re-developed.

Another interesting (in my opinion) thing about 94/95 is that the top scorer in the league, Tommy Coyne, scored only 16 goals.

In other news Raith Rovers shocked Celtic with a penalty shoot out win in the League Cup final at Ibrox. Rangers, who had added big name signings Brian Laudrup and Basile Boli to their side, were knocked out by AEK Athens in the Champions League qualifiers. Celtic recovered from their League Cup shock to beat Airdrie 1-0.

Is there any reason why the League Cup final was played at Ibrox but the Scottish Cup final at Hampden for those who remember?

Ayr United exceeded their own shitness by not only failing to win promotion from Div 1 by being relegated down to Division 2 at the end of the year.

Thistle were unbeaten at Hampden versus Celtic that season. We should have won the first visit one nil but we had a goal dubiously disallowed.

We won our next visit 3-1 to secure our Premier league status again.

In fact in the second half of the season we had a fantastic run of form.

Amazing to think we finished above Aberdeen and the DABs, but the latter would soon have their revenge...

FB_IMG_1455442843298.jpg

:wub:

No Killie tales from 94/95 as Saints were back in the First Division. We did enjoy a memorable Coca-Cola Cup win at Tynecastle though. The Jambos raced into a two-goal lead but lost Stevie Frail to a red card before half-time after he handled a netbound attempt from John O'Neil. When George O'Boyle saw his subsequent penalty saved by Nicky Walker it didn't look like it would be Saints' night but O'Neil headed a lifeline moments after the break before Colin Miller drove in the second. O'Boyle made amends for his penalty miss with 10 minutes remaining and Davie Irons nodded in a fourth. That stunning second-half showing set up a last eight clash with eventual winners Raith Rovers.

In the league, the team won only one of their first eight games, although the real low point came in February, when Stenhousemuir dismantled Saints 4-0 in a Scottish Cup third round replay. Despite that, Geoff Brown would stick by Paul Sturrock, which brought it's rewards down the line.

I only really remember George O'Boyle for the drugs thing but was he not a very prolific goal scorer prior to that? Also, was he prolific in Division 1 or was he a Premier Division level striker?

O'Boyle was very much Premier quality but picked up an injury around the time of the 1998 League Cup final and only started 4 more games for the club in the the two years before the drugs scandal. I think he scored 20+ goals in all three seasons in the First Division.

O'Boyle was signed from Dunfermline that summer and his form was such that it wasn't really an issue when Paul Wright was sold to Killie that season. I think the feeling was that Wright hadn't really recovered from the bad injury he'd sustained the previous year (which probably relegated us) but he obviously showed that not to be the case at Rugby Park.

Aberdeen overcame Dunfermline in the playoff 6-2 but for the Dons and the DABS.......what the f**k happened? Based solely on your goal scorers I see it's looks as if both your teams were still pretty strong.

Is there any reason why the League Cup final was played at Ibrox but the Scottish Cup final at Hampden for those who remember?

You're right that on paper the Dons squad looked strong in 94/95. We'd also finished second the previous season, and the season before that second in every competition. Shearer, Dodds, Booth, McKimmie, Irvine, Kane, Snelders, Wright, Glass - some good players in there. However, Jess was out for the whole season having broke his leg - this had a huge impact.

Remember also that the playoff spot we eventually got was quite an achievement considering that we were far adrift in bottom place around February when Aitken took over from the hapless Willie Miller. After that we got kind of an extended new manager bounce and some incredible support at home and on the road, along with the continued floundering of the Arabs, saw us through. It's difficult to pinpoint what went wrong prior to that. Good players not playing well, too many average players, just a culture of losing?

We also embarrassed ourselves in other competitions - Skonto Riga put us out of the UEFA Cup (losing to a Latvian team was a bit of a shock back then!) and Stennie pumped us at Ochilview in the Scottish Cup in what was probably our worst ever result at the time.

As for Hampden, it was shut during 1993 and 1994 to get seats put in. I assume this work was finished at some point between the League Cup Final in late 1994 and the Scottish Cup Final at the end of the 1994/95 season.

On 1/10/2017 at 23:20, Flybhoy said:

I remember in 1990 Kilmarnock bringing around 2000 fans to Annfield when they were in the old second division (then the third and lowest tier) with Stirling Albion and I remember thinking that they were a huge club with a massive fanbase who should have been in the top flight.

Since being in that top flight their support has slowly dwindled, season upon season to the point where they barely scrape that 2000 figure of fans at some home games now. As an outsider looking in and, going from comments from a few Killie fans I've spoken to and the general consensus from some on here is that it is 90% down to their utter wankstain of a chairman who is actively driving fans away from the club.

The damage MJ seems to have done and potentialy still doing to Kilmarnock is imeasurable, absolute wrong 'un who is slowly killing that club IMO.

Absolutely spot on and as somebody who grew up with us in the late 80s/90s and our big, loyal support it'a absolutely heartbreaking to sit at RP now and see the shambles of a club we now are. 

We'll be back, of that i have no doubt. Just need rid of that parasite first. 

On 1/11/2017 at 04:20, I'm Brian said:

Something sticks in my mind about injuries to central defenders, but I think the real reason was that Killie were always Rangers 1872(RIP) favourite wee team, knew you were in a bit of bother and they just wanted to lend a helping hand. 

Reveal hidden contents

Jammy b*****ds :P

We beat Rangers home and away that season and were utterly robbed by a dodgy linesman in the Scottish Cup Semi Final replay. 

Doubt anyone had a better record against them that season.

On 1/11/2017 at 09:31, mps02 said:

Loved seeing Killin get hummed by Ayr 4 seasons in a row, the first was bliss. Picture the scene:second in the league behind oldco Rangers against a mince Ayr team who were struggling in Division 2 (at the time). Robert Connor was released by Killie and signed by Ayr. He scored after 6 minutes and Killie tried and failed to score against us. Following season Killie as cup holders drew Ayr in Scottish Cup at Somerset, and got tanked 2-0. Follow that by a truly magical hammering the following season 3-0 at Somerset, where Mr Kilmarnock, Ray Montgomery, got sent off! Then a 0-0 draw with us playing most of the game with 10 men only to win on penalties! Fantastic.
Killie have avoided relegation by luck for years. When it happens Killie will be stuck where Ayr are now (and St Minging soon enough) where Obscurity Knocks!!!

If and when it happens there will be a hell of a lot of Killie fans who've seen us win all 3 domestic competitions. 

More than you lot will ever do! You might have enjoyed putting out the cup holders, try imagine actually winning it!