On This Day...

Guest JTS98

Wednesday 10/01/1996

Twenty-one years ago tonight Hearts beat Motherwell 4-0 at Tynecastle in a match most memorable for John Colquhoun scoring with a header that just about removed his head from his shoulders. The win pulled Hearts above Raith Rovers into fifth place, gaining ground in their game in hand on third placed Hibs and fourth placed Aberdeen. Hearts had recently lost 2-1 at Easter Rd, but this win was part of a run of eight wins from ten games following the defeat to Hibs. Hibs would ultimately fall away and Hearts would finish in fourth, behind Aberdeen on goal difference. Aberdeen had won the League Cup a couple of months previously and Hearts would go on to get a shoeing from Rangers in the Scottish Cup final after beating Aberdeen in the semis.

The Hearts team that night contained six starters over the age of thirty, which is quite striking. Two of that night's line-up - Locke and Robertson - have since managed Hearts. Motherwell's team included former Scotland under-21 keeper and division 2 winner Scott Howie as well as future FA Cup giant-killer Roy Essandoh and future media personality Billy Davies. Motherwell had a pretty rubbish season, finishing above only relegated Thistle and Falkirk.

The same evening saw lower league action in Scotland. Queen of the South drew 3-3 with Stenhousemuir in the second division and current top flight side Ross County drew 0-0 in the 3rd division with Arbroath in front of 994 people. That season's third division was won by Livingston, beginning their run to the top flight and European football. Also enjoying happier days were Aston Villa who beat Wolves to progress to the semi final of the English League Cup, which they would go on to win for the second time in three years by gubbing Leeds at Wembley.

A sign that I'm getting old that a child born on the day of a game I remember being at will be turning 21 today. Ah well.

Most of these details came from the page of this game on the excellent London Hearts website. Feel free to add any other On This Day stuff that might come occur to you.

Just now, shootingboots said:

I was at that Scottish Cup semi. 

Duncan Shearer eqaulised with 5 minutes to go only for Michael Watt to dive over the ball in the last minute. 

Gutting. 

Yip. Terrible game. Nothing happened until 3 goals in the last ten minutes or so.

Just now, Egg Shen said:

terrible away strip, man :lol: when shearer equalised I thought, oh aye...

Great day out!

I think we all did. Two Airdries still fresh in the mind.

I didn't mind our away strip that year. It was certainly the second worst strip on display at Hampden that day...

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

On this day in 2009 Kris Doolan made his debut for Partick Thistle against ICT.

What a guy.

Was that when we pumped you in the cup, were relegated in the May and have been Thistle's bitches ever since?

The AFC Heritage website has an excellent on this day section. On January 11th we've had 6 wins, 4 draws, 1 defeat and an abandonment.

Beat Hibs in the Cup in 1964 (probably everyone has an on this day beating Hibs in the Cup)

Hammered Hearts 4-0 at Tynecastle in 1992 - Jess (2), Booth, Mason

Drew with Celtic at Parkhead in 1986 - I think they may have gone on to win the league that season??

Forgot to post this yesterday as I was on my phone when I read it and my fingers were freezing, but...

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the 0-0 draw between St Johnstone and Thistle in Perth on Sky, that was such a bad game that Sky didn't touch the lower league in Scotland again until Rangers died.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Forgot to post this yesterday as I was on my phone when I read it and my fingers were freezing, but...

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the 0-0 draw between St Johnstone and Thistle in Perth on Sky, that was such a bad game that Sky didn't touch the lower league in Scotland again until Rangers died.

I've still got a VHS tape of that I got the Halt Bar to record before heading off to the game. Never been watched, probably never will.

Saints were flying at the time, we'd just beaten Dundee 7-2 to make it 10 wins on the bounce, averaging more than three goals scored a game, with 8 clean sheets into the bargain. One of those wins had been a 4-0 success at Firhill. Thistle, backed by a great, noisy support and marshalled by David Farrell IIRC, came for a 0-0 draw and as said, the game was dreadful.

On 14/01/2017 at 21:30, Fuctifano said:

Tremendous!

I remember watching that game with my dad. There can't be many 0-0 draws that have achieved such fame. Truly awful. So awful it will never be forgotten.

The AFC Heritage website has an excellent on this day section. On January 11th we've had 6 wins, 4 draws, 1 defeat and an abandonment.
Beat Hibs in the Cup in 1964 (probably everyone has an on this day beating Hibs in the Cup)
Hammered Hearts 4-0 at Tynecastle in 1992 - Jess (2), Booth, Mason
Drew with Celtic at Parkhead in 1986 - I think they may have gone on to win the league that season??

The 4-0 win at Tynecastle was all the more significant because Joe Jordan's Hearts were top of the league and unbeaten since October

Rangers moved top on Goal difference and Hearts eventually limped home in 2nd just ahead of Celtic.

Motherwell have played twice on this day (18th) in the last twenty years.  A 3-0 defeat at Celtic Park in 2014 and a 3-1 defeat at Fir Park to Rangers in 1997.

That Rangers game was played in front of an attendance of 13,166.  Back in the days when we had near sell-outs for the visits of Celtic and Rangers.  I have a feeling the crowd at Fir Park next week will be nowhere near that.

IIRC, Sebastian Rozenthal made his debut for Rangers that day in '97.