On This Day...

Guest JTS98

On 18/02/2017 at 15:12, PauloPerth said:

I remember watching the highlights of that game on sportscene.

I seem to recall at the time they were saying Johnston was the first visiting player to score a hat-trick at ibrox since (the) Alex Ferguson for St Johnstone in the early 70's.  Is this correct?

Only a year and a half late in responding to this, but prior to Johnston's hat-trick the last opposing player to score a hat-trick at Ibrox was Ally MacLeod - he scored all four for second tier St Mirren in a 4-1 win in the League Cup in August 1972.

Ferguson was the one before that - his hat-trick for St Johnstone was in December 1963 rather than the early 1970s.

6 hours ago, Eednud said:

Saturday 27 October 1951 Dundee win the Scottish League Cup for first time.

I've never seen this clip before, glorious. My auld man, like most of his contemporaries, waxed lyrical about Billy Steel. After hearing God knows how many times about him putting a free kick right on to Alfie Boyd's napped for the winner it's fantastic to eventually see it

Monday 28 October 1963 East Stirlingshire 2 Chelsea 2. Friendly match as part of the Eddie McCreadie transfer and maybe another player. Attendance at Firs Park was 5,000. Bobby Tambling scored both Chelsea goals. IMG_0613.jpg

Oct 28th 1946 Wim Jansen is born. 
Only claim to fame in Scottish football is being nutmegged by Archie Gemmill in 1978. And he managed some mob to the title later on.. 
i didnt know that was jansen that gemmill nutmegged. thats a great bit useless fact to bring up in the pub

Wednesday 31 October 1962 European Cup First Round Second Leg. Dundee 4 (Gilzean 21, 37, 53, Cousin 62) Sporting Club de Portugal 1 (Figueroda 66) Attendance - 30,596). 4-2 Dundee on aggregate. My first European tie as for some reason I couldn't go to the Cologne game.

DFC+v+Sporting+Lisbon.jpg

Image result for dundee v sporting lisbon 31 october 1962

• 2 weeks later...

On this day in 1979 we woke up to find ourselves still top of the Premier League with a part time team.

Our 2-1 win at Aberdeen kept us ahead of Celtic on goal difference for the second week running. This was the culmination of a strong month where we’d drawn at Ibrox, given Celtic their first defeat of the season and gotten to the League Cup semi final.

Probably never happen again - with Morton or a part time team. Nor will we see the likes of Benny Rooney at the helm at Cappielow again.

• 2 years later...
Guest TheJTS98

On this day in 1993: Struggling Hearts lost 3-2 in a home midweek defeat to high-flyiing Motherwell while Aberdeen beat Thistle at Pittodrie to go top of the league. 22 games into the 1993/94 season Aberdeen were sitting top, ahead of Rangers and Motherwell only on goal difference. Celtic were one point back and Hibs only one point behind them.

Remarkable.

Funny thing is, as exciting a season as it looked like at that point, it was not catching the imagination. Hearts' defeat to Motherwell was watched by around five and a half thousand (!) while Aberdeen went top of the league in front of a Pittodrie crowd of only 8,248. Very weird. Hibs v Motherwell the previous Saturday had drawn only 7,000.

League leaders Aberdeen would go on to beat Killie at home on the Saturday before Christmas in front of just 10,000. On the same day Celtic v Hibs at Parkhead drew just 16,000 despite both sides being in touch at the top of the league, Celtic winning 1-0. Unimaginable today. Speaks well of the current crowds that these teams are getting in.

Rangers, emptied out of the Champions League by Levski Sofia in the result that cost Tiger Tim his job at Parkhead,  had taken only 6 points from 8 games (2pts for a win) between August and October. They had another wobble over Christmas, drawing at home to struggling Hearts as John Robertson's last-minute penalty earned a 2-2 draw. Rangers would go on to secure six-in-a-row in a relatively unconvincing manner, winning by three points from Aberdeen and four from Motherwell.

The Celtic - Hibs game for anyone interested. Hearts 2-3 Motherwell and the 2-2 at Ibrox used to be on youtube, but I can't find them now.

Celtic 1-0 Hibs

Edited by TheJTS98

On this day in 2001, during what was a seminal season for us and the greatest in my lifetime of Jags support (including the top 6 season), we beat St Mirren with a single goal from super sub Martin Hardie. It was a game which saw John Lambie take his place in the dugout in full highland dress as the club launched its new tartan.

TARTAN TRIBUTE TO AC MILAN STARS

We'd won the second division the season previous and made it back to back promotions by winning Division 1 that season also. It was fairy tale stuff given we'd been on the brink of liquidation in 1997 and of relegation to the bottom league in 99/00. 

St Mirren had been relegated from the SPL (or whatever it was in 2001) and still had the quality throughout with the likes of Quitongo, Roy and Yardley and they were unbeaten against us at that point in the season. I recall a great game where Paul Walker missed a one on one, Kenny Arthur saved a penalty and BMMMH came on to score a late winner, creating scenes in a packed Jackie Husband stand. Hardie's reward for winning the game was a seat on the bench in our next match against Ayr, where again he came on in the last quarter and scored the winner. 

We even had a cup run that season, and we were always utter shite in the cups (even as a premier division team), so it was a class season all in. We seemed to win so many games at the death too. What a team.

Edited by velo army

• 4 months later...
Guest TheJTS98

Eleven years ago tonight. I spent the evening 'enjoying' Hearts' 0-0 draw with United at Tynecastle. By the closing stages nobody was bothering too much about our game, just keeping up with Fir Park.

Hearts had started the evening with an outside chance of still making Europe, and finished it without one. But it was completely over-shadowed. Just nuts.

I've got a mate who is a Motherwell fan who left early. It's still not funny and he still won't talk about it.

Edited by TheJTS98

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Eleven years ago tonight. I spent the evening 'enjoying' Hearts' 0-0 draw with United at Tynecastle. By the closing stages nobody was bothering too much about our game, just keeping up with Fir Park.

Hearts had started the evening with an outside chance of still making Europe, and finished it without one. But it was completely over-shadowed. Just nuts.

I've got a mate who is a Motherwell fan who left early. It's still not funny and he still won't talk about it.

There were many that left then made it back in.

imagine missing a penalty.