Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

3 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Can't say I'll be too distraught when the fucker goes but with Gerry Kelly  having health issues and Adams getting on a bit this could be the time for the newer slightly less hateful faces to move up.

As far as I'm concerned they are no more palatable than the "old brigade", but as an ex-Japanese PoW once said to me "You have to forgive, but never forget".

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/01/2017 at 10:45, RedRob72 said:

Yep, guess you're right Willie. I wouldn't wish illness on anyone, but if MM's days are indeed numbered I hope he's still plenty of time to reflect on the things he's done to others and that it's a very uncomfortable recollection.

Any of the nutjobs who feel the need to commit or order murder for their cause won't be worrying too much about it, I reckon.  Hatred drives these people.  Look at the way that ISIS are going about their business at the moment.

TFS were really losing ground in the 'absolute political clusterfuck' stakes with Brexit and the ensuing fallout and America voting in Trump. Good too see them making a strong play to regain the title again in 2017.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Wow well the prods on here are certainly a joyless bunch.

I knew they would be out in force as soon as this thread was opened, but some of the contributions have been genuinely hilarious in many different ways. Prods are always at their funniest when they aren't even trying to be funny, IMO. 

7 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

McGuinness will be replaced by Michelle O'Neill, (she's miles in front of Gerry Kelly) She's a face like a bag of hammers, but I'd still shag her, and up the arse, just for badness!!

She's put on a bit of weight since she was elevated to Stormont. Still miles in front of Caitriona Ruane, Caral Ni Chuilin. Bairbre de Bruin and Martina Anderson looks wise, mind you.

13 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Wow well the prods on here are certainly a joyless bunch.

Name the guilty men.

12 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I knew they would be out in force as soon as this thread was opened, but some of the contributions have been genuinely hilarious in many different ways. Prods are always at their funniest when they aren't even trying to be funny, IMO. 

Give examples and show your workings.

14 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

There was talk of him requiring heart surgery....

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's an open goal. Must resist, must resist, must resist...

Anyone that saw the state McGuinness was in on the day Ian Paisley died will have realised he's not entirely the pitiless psychopathic murderer as painted. There are plenty more politicians in Westminster & Leinster House who pitilessly destroyed many more lives in their time not with bombs or bullets but with the stroke of a pen & called it "progress" than he ever did.

McGuinness was - & is - a product of his times & place; same as the rest of Northern Ireland, & certainly a lot more honest than the mealy mouths of the Ulster Unionists & SDLP who shed crocodile tears over "the Troubles" which kept them in high paid jobs for decades whilst giving wee nods & winks to the bigots to keep them onside.

Anyone that saw the state McGuinness was in on the day Ian Paisley died will have realised he's not entirely the pitiless psychopathic murderer as painted. There are plenty more politicians in Westminster & Leinster House who pitilessly destroyed many more lives in their time not with bombs or bullets but with the stroke of a pen & called it "progress" than he ever did.
McGuinness was - & is - a product of his times & place; same as the rest of Northern Ireland, & certainly a lot more honest than the mealy mouths of the Ulster Unionists & SDLP who shed crocodile tears over "the Troubles" which kept them in high paid jobs for decades whilst giving wee nods & winks to the bigots to keep them onside.

Aye, he was the best 'insider' we ever had eh!?

49 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Name the guilty men.

Give examples and show your workings.

Guys like that and the whole "Missus Bunfield" crew deal with the Troubles as something abstract, because odds on they don't know anybody that had their family torn apart by it.

Here's what people don't seem to grasp, because of the way that the media soft pedals things in the name of expediency. McGuinness is widely believed on both sides of the divide to have been the one making the decisions on who got murdered and what got bombed in the Londonderry area when the Troubles were at their height. He's the moral equivalent of somebody like Arkan, who could also turn on the charm for the television cameras, and should consider himself lucky to have the prospect of dying in bed surrounded by his close relatives ahead of him at this point. A great many people didn't get that opportunity because of what the "slow learners" like McGuinness did in NI.

I could name half a dozen people off the top of my head that I know who lost husbands/brothers/nieces/fathers murdered by the IRA for which McGuinness is responsible. Add in the wider family circles and I'm sure that number would approach 50. Multiply that for those that I don't know personally.

I could name half a dozen people off the top of my head that I know who lost husbands/brothers/nieces/fathers murdered by the IRA for which McGuinness is responsible. Add in the wider family circles and I'm sure that number would approach 50. Multiply that for those that I don't know personally.

Have a wee stop off at Carnmoney a couple of times a year when visiting family, McGuinness's work is everywhere. Said before I don't wish ill health on anyone, but 'Marty' has wronged more than most.

17 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guys like that and the whole "Missus Bunfield" crew deal with the Troubles as something abstract, because odds on they don't know anybody that had their family torn apart by it.

Here's what people don't seem to grasp, because of the way that the media soft pedals things in the name of expediency. McGuinness is widely believed on both sides of the divide to have been the one making the decisions on who got murdered and what got bombed in the Londonderry area when the Troubles were at their height. He's the moral equivalent of somebody like Arkan, who could also turn on the charm for the television cameras, and should consider himself lucky to have the prospect of dying in bed surrounded by his close relatives ahead of him at this point. A great many people didn't get that opportunity because of what the "slow learners" like McGuinness did in NI.

ca68c2be2bae126a814e5e9f954e4bb7.jpg

So because X did Y all those years ago, those who weren't even born at that time are to gnash their teeth about it too, rather than see him as being part of the place in time where the line was finally drawn after centuries of bigotry & intolerance - part of which was for the perverse "fun of it" if you're honest: those marches & garish gable end murals you love to have in order to rub "the other side" 's noses in it with depressing monotony.

Revenge, reprisals & whataboutery, Northern Ireland's heritage that left it for decades as one of the most backward parts of the First World, a province long in the grip of a social psychosis that would have turned anyone evil.

Had we taken your route to "progress" there would have been no end to the Cold War & the dreadful Soviet dictatorship over its helpless neighbours as that would have meant rejecting the early peristroika overtones from their leader Yuri Andropov - the Butcher of Budapest & Prague -  the blood of whose hands from his time running the KGB & the Gulags ran to the millions. We would still have not moved on from the Germans & Japanese' behaviour in the 30s & 40s & be boycotting their goods "in principle". Our former colonies in Africa would refuse to have any dealings with us at all.

The old have to move on from yesterday in order that they can live today - otherwise for no one will there be any sort of tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, WaffenThinMint said:

So because X did Y all those years ago, those who weren't even born at that time are to gnash their teeth about it too, rather than see him as being part of the place in time where the line was finally drawn after centuries of bigotry & intolerance - part of which was for the perverse "fun of it" if you're honest: those marches & garish gable end murals you love to have in order to rub "the other side" 's noses in it with depressing monotony.

Revenge, reprisals & whataboutery, Northern Ireland's heritage that left it for decades as one of the most backward parts of the First World, a province long in the grip of a social psychosis that would have turned anyone evil.

Had we taken your route to "progress" there would have been no end to the Cold War & the dreadful Soviet dictatorship over its helpless neighbours as that would have meant rejecting the early peristroika overtones from their leader Yuri Andropov - the Butcher of Budapest & Prague -  the blood of whose hands from his time running the KGB & the Gulags ran to the millions. We would still have not moved on from the Germans & Japanese' behaviour in the 30s & 40s & be boycotting their goods "in principle". Our former colonies in Africa would refuse to have any dealings with us at all.

The old have to move on from yesterday in order that they can live today - otherwise for no one will there be any sort of tomorrow.

I have tae agree with ye.

I would imagine that during the last world war anyone sitting in a movie theatre watching a Movietone/Pathe production of the news would have cheered when seeing French partizans shooting Germans and french collaborators.

One persons terrorist is someone elses freedom fighter.

I ken that's hard tae accept but I believe it tae be true.

Non sequitur after non sequitur. You make a point explaining why people are not going to mourn Martin McGuinness's passing and why people have every right to feel that way and suddenly the usual suspects are droning on and on as if it's a rejection of the whole peace process. The best thing that could happen at the upcoming election is for people to not vote Sinn Fein or DUP, but for the more moderate alternatives that outright reject the Nationalist and Unionist labels. Unfortunately the system was set up to make a tribal headcount the most likely outcome (at the time many believed the much hyped demographic shift would happen fairly rapidly, so people like David Trimble were trying to entrench a future for NI institutions even with a Nationalist majority in place), so don't hold your breath on that as STV tends to channel votes back towards the largest parties. Something more like Israel's PR system might have been better as a way to offer new fresh alternatives an easy way in.

Non sequitur after non sequitur. You make a point explaining why people are not going to mourn Martin McGuinness's passing and why people have every right to feel that way and suddenly the usual suspects are droning on and on as if it's a rejection of the whole peace process. The best thing that could happen at the upcoming election is for people to not vote Sinn Fein or DUP, but for the more moderate alternatives that outright reject the Nationalist and Unionist labels. Unfortunately the system was set up to make a tribal headcount the most likely outcome (at the time many believed the much hyped demographic shift would happen fairly rapidly, so people like David Trimble were trying to entrench a future for NI institutions even with a Nationalist majority in place), so don't hold your breath on that as STV tends to channel votes back towards the largest parties. Something more like Israel's PR system might have been better as a way to offer new fresh alternatives an easy way in.

Was that not John McMichael's vision, before the Provos murdered him?

Archived