Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God forgive them. To err is human, and they have been all to human

I've no problem with forgiveness Hehaw, we can't accuse others of being inhuman if we can't show benevolence ourselves. It's a compassion that wasn't offered by McGuinness and comrades however. He'll be called to answer for that.

12 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

I've no problem with forgiveness Hehaw, we can't accuse others of being inhuman if we can't show benevolence ourselves. It's a compassion that wasn't offered by McGuinness and comrades however. He'll be called to answer for that.

who by?

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

They'll (probably) still be the two largest parties, so they're going to have to cobble together some solution. Can't see the other parties getting enough seats to form a (cross community) government. And there are 18 less seats up for grabs this time, which, according to experts, favours the bigger parties with their well oiled electoral machines. (Experts - what do they f****** know?) 

So as P&B's man on the ground in Northern Ireland you don't think this is a big chance for the SDLP and UUP to gain ground?

who by?

I'm not really sure Willie, I kinda lost my way with all that faith stuff a number of years back. They're just words I suppose, in the hope that there's some way that those who have been a bad lot in life are somehow held accountable for it thereafter, however unlikely that may be!

2 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I'm not really sure Willie, I kinda lost my way with all that faith stuff a number of years back. They're just words I suppose, in the hope that there's some way that those who have been a bad lot in life are somehow held accountable for it thereafter, however unlikely that may be!

Fair do;s Rob but if there's no a hereafter in the thereafter then he'll be in oblivion just like the rest of us :thumsup2

Fair do;s Rob but if there's no a hereafter in the thereafter then he'll be in oblivion just like the rest of us :thumsup2

Yep, guess you're right Willie. I wouldn't wish illness on anyone, but if MM's days are indeed numbered I hope he's still plenty of time to reflect on the things he's done to others and that it's a very uncomfortable recollection.

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

Yep, guess you're right Willie. I wouldn't wish illness on anyone, but if MM's days are indeed numbered I hope he's still plenty of time to reflect on the things he's done to others and that it's a very uncomfortable recollection.

:thumsup2

27 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

So as P&B's man on the ground in Northern Ireland you don't think this is a big chance for the SDLP and UUP to gain ground?

I confidently predict the SDLP won't gain ground.

Don't think the UUP will make much inroads, either, but depends on the "missing" 100 000 voters who voted in Brexit but didn't participate in the last assembly elections. If they turn out I think it's unlikely they'll vote for the "big two", or maybe they didn't vote last time around because they were confident that the "big two" would get back in anyway without their vote.

Smaller parties will be knocked out - due to the change in the number of seats it is now necessary to get 3 500 first preference votes to have a chance of being elected, apparently (even if it is the fifth seat, you still need 3 500 first preference votes).

I confidently predict the SDLP won't gain ground.
Don't think the UUP will make much inroads, either, but depends on the "missing" 100 000 voters who voted in Brexit but didn't participate in the last assembly elections. If they turn out I think it's unlikely they'll vote for the "big two", or maybe they didn't vote last time around because they were confident that the "big two" would get back in anyway without their vote.
Smaller parties will be knocked out - due to the change in the number of seats it is now necessary to get 3 500 first preference votes to have a chance of being elected, apparently (even if it is the fifth seat, you still need 3 500 first preference votes).

You don't think Mike Nesbitt & Co have had a better recent opportunity to pick up new support from disaffected DUP voters JG?
How many scandals can they (The DUP) wade through before their supporters decide that they've had enough!?

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

You don't think Mike Nesbitt & Co have had a better recent opportunity to pick up new support from disaffected DUP voters JG?
How many scandals can they (The DUP) wade through before their supporters decide that they've had enough!?

It's a bit disingenuous of the UUP - and the SDLP - to be all "shock, horror" about the RHI debacle. Up until the last elections (last May), the UUP, the SDLP and Alliance were all members of the Executive. They, too, are all part of the mess, as they had opportunities to examine and/or question the legislation. Granted, the DUP & Sinn Fein dictated policy and more often than not took a like it or lump it approach to the other Executive members, but the UUP and the SDLP cannot stand back pretending to be all innocent, either. They only became the official opposition lately.

Some DUP voters might switch to UUP, but some could well go TUV. I don't think the UUP will make a lot of inroads into the DUP vote. However, I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not sure about that. The People Before Profit guy topped the first preferences in Belfast West the last time around.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not sure about that. The People Before Profit guy topped the first preferences in Belfast West the last time around.

How did Eamon McCann do?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How did Eamon McCann do?

He was sixth on the first count - although he did get 4,176 first preference votes. Could be tight enough for our Eamonn (with two "ns").

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 19:14, Dunning1874 said:

Whoosh.

Anyway, in all seriousness, this has the potential for total chaos. DUP & Sinn Fein being even more acrimonious than usual while contesting a snap election that will have concerns about the border related to Brexit thrown in on top of it for good measure.

I'm obviously not on her enough to catch up on all the wee jokes.

Seemed strange anyone being bothered by RedRob.

Archived