Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure McGuiness was responsible for some terrible things.  As someone who is distant from what happened in NI I suppose it is easy for me to downplay the importance of these attrocities.  However I think the only hope for folk who live there is to look forward as oppossed to looking back, sadly all the indications are that the vast amount of people on both sides of the divide are as entrenched in their positions as ever before.

I feel sorry for future generations who seem destined to be born into the same hate and divisiveness that has existed for decades.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I am sure McGuiness was responsible for some terrible things.  As someone who is distant from what happened in NI I suppose it is easy for me to downplay the importance of these attrocities.  However I think the only hope for folk who live there is to look forward as oppossed to looking back, sadly all the indications are that the vast amount of people on both sides of the divide are as entrenched in their positions as ever before.

I feel sorry for future generations who seem destined to be born into the same hate and divisiveness that has existed for decades.

If you mean that republicans want a united Ireland and unionists want to maintain the union, then you are right. How do you square that circle?

If you mean that the paramilitaries have support within their respective communities, then no, so the Troubles aren't going to re-erupt, in the foreseeable future..

More people consider themselves Northern Irish, rather than Irish or British, particularly among the younger generation, so that's another plus.

You have to remember that there is hardly a person in Northern Ireland who doesn't know somebody who has lost a relative in the Troubles, never mind actually losing a relative themselves.

It would be a bit like the Chinese being asked to share power with the Japanese (for the sake of "peace") only 10 years after the end of the second world war, and being told "Nanking - forget about it".

Thing is, which community is the

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If you mean that republicans want a united Ireland and unionists want to maintain the union, then you are right. How do you square that circle?

If you mean that the paramilitaries have support within their respective communities, then no, so the Troubles aren't going to re-erupt, in the foreseeable future..

More people consider themselves Northern Irish, rather than Irish or British, particularly among the younger generation, so that's another plus.

You have to remember that there is hardly a person in Northern Ireland who doesn't know somebody who has lost a relative in the Troubles, never mind actually losing a relative themselves.

It would be a bit like the Chinese being asked to share power with the Japanese (for the sake of "peace") only 10 years after the end of the second world war, and being told "Nanking - forget about it".

Never thought of the Plantation of Ulster as being like the Japanese invasion of China.

Pity Truman wasn't around in the early 1600s.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I am sure McGuiness was responsible for some terrible things...

...so let's not pretend that he had anything worthwhile to offer the world. Time to turn the page and move on. So long Gerry McGinnis we will never forget you.

I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean the old image of Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmaced drives (in this country), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks and beamish. I think people are saying “yes, there’s more to Ireland than this”. A good slogan for the tourist board – “Dere’s more to Oireland dan dis.”

Thing is, which community is the
Never thought of the Plantation of Ulster as being like the Japanese invasion of China.
Pity Truman wasn't around in the early 1600s.

Also fairly sure the Irish have much more common ground culturally, linguistically and historically than China and Japan.

Rarely has someone divided opinions as much as Martin McGuinness did.  Few would disagree that without him, peace would not have been brought to Northern Ireland when it did.  The Troubles would have undoubtedly carried on for significantly longer had he and Adams not entered into the political discussion.

That said, he was guilty of carrying out some terrible atrocities in the early years of the Troubles, and most likely having advanced knowledge of bombings and potential assassinations in later years. 

The way he, Adams, The IRA and Sinn Fein treated (and still treat) informants, who were attempting to stop the killings long before they entered politics, is nothing short of shameful.  The disappearance and murder of Jean McConville, and subsequent denials stretching over 30 years, the botched kidnapping and killing of Martin McGartland (and the second assassination attempt in 1997), as well as the threats given to Raymond Gilmour and Kevin Fulton, to name just a few.  These people were, in a small way, trying to bring peace to NI before it arrived.  Even now, almost 20 years since the Good Friday Agreement was signed, it is still unsafe for informants to return to their homeland, and they probably will spend the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders.

But yeah, I think Northern Ireland is now a safer place today, and a lot of that is down to Martin McGuinness.

Folk say he brought about the peace process? He also brought about a significant part of the mayhem, murder and trauma that occurred.
He seems to be excused for the early stuff with the implication being others would have filled his role. But similarly others may have filled his role in the peace process.
The latter doesn't excuse the former. He only brought about a cessation in activities that he was largely responsible for.

Archived