Spey Valley 17-1

Peeidejd67

It was a cup game, but even so...

And apparently Hay missed a penalty too.

Fochabers moved from the village due to lack of local interest and now play out of Pinefield (North) in Elgin.

They've conceded double figures five times this season and have had some 8s and 9s too.

Here's hoping they're still around next season...

i was at the game Yes Hay missed a penalty, Spey Valley also missed about 6 or 7 easy chances and there keeper had 4 or 5 good saves.

Spey Valley have played them 3 times this season scoring 6, 10 and 17 against them

1 hour ago, hareskirky said:

biggest score in juniors since when ??

If there has been bigger than this (I am aware there was a 23-0 in the late 90s as well) please correct fowks!

maudraflossie.PNG

I saw the two sides that merged to form SVU play last season - both okay teams, Spey Valley more so than Grantown, but neither looked capable of registering that kind of result. Either they've improved out of all recognition or Fochabers are in a real sorry state.

Defence improved then.
I was in dugout for Scottish tie a few years ago when st Andrews beat Whitehills 18-1. Think that is still biggest score in recent history and possibly for a long time in Scottish.
Let's face it some north district teams would not even compete in local Sunday pub leagues in central belt.

On Sun Jan 08 2017 at 21:57, hareskirky said:

biggest score in juniors since when ??

Hurlford lost over 70 games in a row in the mid 90s.

Beith beat them 15-0 during that run but pretty sure they had a couple of heavier defeats than that.

If you told someone down south that was semipro grade , they would lock you up.

Looks like what it is. A village Sunday pub team made up of liquorice allsorts.

Half of whom were shook out of bed 10 minutes before kick off, following a night on the lash and a large donner kebab.

Ie I would have still fitted in.

Anybody tempted to mock Fochabers would do well to firstly read these two, that were posted on the FitbaNorth forum.

From a Montrose Roselea person :

Well done to Fochabers for travelling yesterday in what must be difficult circumstances for them. It is easy to say to pack it in, well done to them for continuing. Nobody wants to see teams heavily beaten and it is not good for anyone. Hopefully better times will be around the corner for them but they will not arrive if they don't struggle on to find out. The way they conducted themselves was a credit and maybe this could be viewed as bad and part of their problem there was not one booking or even late tackle! They said that they will have gone through 50 players this season and there are only 3 players who started the season with them.
Our own club have had tough times and 40 years ago were the whipping boys of the Tayside Region. The club only survived thanks to a dedicated Manager and two Committee who we will always be thankful to for keeping Montrose Roselea going on a shoestring.
Good luck Fochabers!

And from someone associated with a different club in their area :

I'd say the results play heavily on the players the management and the committee at Fochabers , but they have to keep going and get people behind them . They have moved from Fochabers , the reason I'm sure was to provide a better facilities and playing surface for themselves and visiting clubs . So now they can't call on local support from Fochabers , it's difficult enough I'm sure as it is trying to run a junior club in Moray with all the more established clubs like Islavale and Buckie Rovers on your doorstep , also the Highland League clubs snapping up all and any decent talent . So instead of slating them lets give the guys there a massive pat on the back for their commitment and obvious love of the game .

Great post Phil. We would do well to remember that what comes round, goes round. Not every club enjoys an unbroken run of success and many once successful and well-known clubs are no longer around. Let's hope there are better times around the corner for Fochabers and other clubs who are currently struggling to stay afloat.

Great post Phil. We would do well to remember that what comes round, goes round. Not every club enjoys an unbroken run of success and many once successful and well-known clubs are no longer around. Let's hope there are better times around the corner for Fochabers and other clubs who are currently struggling to stay afloat.

Well said!

A number of people on this thread having a laugh at a teams misfortunes and tough times. They are clearly going through very difficult times but fair play to the committee for sticking with it. Really hope the guys come through this and good times ahead!

Archived