Hero at your club/Wage thief elsewhere

Raith Rovers fans don't seem too keen on Declan McManus but he had a great 18 months at Cappielow; especially in the 2nd division. Dundee United fans all seem to hate Gavin Gunning despite him being a god amongst men. A few other that stick out would be Marko Rajamaki who was dire when he came back to Scotland after leaving Morton, Davie Wylie wasn't the most popular at Clyde.

On the other side of the coin Brian Graham isn't in high regard anywhere apart from Raith Rovers. James Grady is, obviously, an odious reptile but fans of his other clubs will have warm memories of him (mostly). The same can be said of Andy Millen and David Graham who were absolute bell ends in their time at Cappielow.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morton getting Ross Forbes in a swap deal with Andy Barrowman going to Dunfermline a couple of years ago. Andy Barrowman, absolutely finished, useless, went to Dunfermline from us in January and made absolutely no impact whatsoever. We got Ross Forbes in return who was apparently hopeless and very lazy, turned out make a massive impact in getting us over the line to win league 1. Fast forward 2 years and he's 6 months into a contract extension, and made more assists than anyone in Scotland this season (16 I think) :lol: 

1 minute ago, Toby said:

You're missing Ross Forbes and Dunfermline.

Just now, Scosha said:

Morton getting Ross Forbes in a swap deal with Andy Barrowman going to Dunfermline a couple of years ago. Andy Barrowman, absolutely finished, useless, went to Dunfermline from us in January and made absolutely no impact whatsoever. We got Ross Forbes in return who was apparently hopeless and very lazy, turned out make a massive impact in getting us over the line to win league 1. Fast forward 2 years and he's 6 months into a contract extension, and made more assists than anyone in Scotland this season (16 I think) :lol: 

Great minds etc 8)

You're missing Ross Forbes and Dunfermline.

Except as far as I'm aware he's not considered a wage thief, nor hated by any Dunfermline fans. He just wasn't very good for us at the time of his leaving. Indeed on the contrary you had fans believing he was being under utilised.

We swapped the ineffectual Forbes for the slightly more effective(For us) Barrowman, that doesn't quite suit the revisionism though as it doesn't make as good a story.

For Dunfermline you have presently Gavin Reilly and in the past you had Paul Burns.

On the other hand Nicky Phinn was a good player for us and a bit shit everywhere else.

Edited to add:

For Paul Burns you could argue he was playing at a level above himself much like the whole squad was that season, however in a shit season of poorly performing players he was the shittest, a player who's only redeeming feature was his ability to run at an average speed for a prolonged period of time.

No idea what's happened to Reilly, looks like he closes down people without actually wanting the ball of them, not that quick in that I don't think he's won a footrace while he's been with us, brings literally nothing to the party.

Both though have had supremely successful times at Queen of the South.

Nicky Phinn was voted into the PnB team of the season by a majority decision one year and he looked a fantastic prospect, injuries ruined him though.

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

For Dunfermline you have presently Gavin Reilly and in the past you had Paul Burns.

Both of these crossed my mind when I saw the thread title.

With Burns it owed most to stepping up a level and your own fondness for hyperbole.

Not sure why it's gone a bit wrong for Reilly though.

I wouldn't call either Reilly or Burns wage thieves tbh. They were/are just a bit shit.

Forbes absolutely was a wage thief in a Dunfermline shirt though. Great player when he can be arsed, unfortunately that wasn't often for us.

Both of these crossed my mind when I saw the thread title.
With Burns it owed most to stepping up a level and your own fondness for hyperbole.
Not sure why it's gone a bit wrong for Reilly though.

No hyperbole at all, I've never met a Dunfermline fan yet who didn't think he was utterly shit in his time with us, he was dreadful. Hence why he was punted out on loan.
We had some players playing well out of there depth that season, Chris Smith, Alex Keddie, Austin McCann, Jason Thomson etc, Burns was probably the worst outfield player though.

Although thanks for reminding me about the dross we played that season.

Starting out first game back in the Spl with Keddie and Potter as our centre backs [emoji38] What a shiter.

Except as far as I'm aware he's not considered a wage thief, nor hated by any Dunfermline fans. .

Forbes absolutely was a wage thief in a Dunfermline shirt though.

Maybe not.

What are we considering a wage thief? I always took it as someone who was pretty shite at there job which is the epitome of what Reilly and Burns were.

Forbes did have good moments with us and was getting played out of position so I've got some sympathy for his shite performances.

I liked David Graham for most of his spell with us but seems to have been shite since leaving us. 

Greg Fleming was absolutely pish with us as well but Ayr fans would try and convince you he's the best 'keeper in the country.

Reilly is like a boy band member playing for us for a charity event.

He runs about a lot but lacks any footballing intelligence or qualities at all. I rate him in the same bracket as Jamie Mole.

Reckon and hope he goes elsewhere and does well.

Only Jim Jeffries could swap a SPL quality player for a striker who was finished at league one level.

Cost us ten points probably, he's still the best assister in the championship.

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Stokes is the opposite.

Was excellent for you.
Was the sole reason for Hibs fans greatest ever footballing memory.
Was excellent for Celtic a few years ago as well.

At Falkirk he scored 17 goals in 3 months.

He certainly never produced that kind of form at Hibs, Celtic or Sunderland.

ETA sole reason? Harsh

Archived