Morton v Rovers

38 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

From a Neutral's perspective:

I had watched Raith lose to Dunfermline a few weeks back, and could not imagine they could play so poorly again.  But they did.  Raith offered next to nothing up front against Morton, with the big lad Mvoto looking an accident waiting to happen whenever the ball came near him.

There was an element of good fortune to both of Morton's goals - whether Shankland dummied the ball or no, I could not tell, but Cuthbert committed the cardinal sin of not following the flight of the ball, allowing it to drift in at his far post.

Morton's second was a result of some comical defending (not Mvoto this time) leaving Shankland as simple a header as will ever score.

I can only imagine Skacel has an injury of some sort, for I cannot imagine he has fallen to such an extent he cannot get at least a bit of a game in that toothless Raith attack.

I liked both Forbes and Doyle, who between them gave the Raith left-back (was it Kevin McHattie?) a day to forget.

But, it could be argued, what really happened here was that Morton's loan players outplayed Raith's ones.

A few pix here - scroll past the 1998 match report:

http://ian38018.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2011-04-29T15:45:00-07:00&max-results=1

You singled out our loan players (who all played well) yet you highlighted Doyle and forbes..... 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You singled out our loan players (who all played well) yet you highlighted Doyle and forbes..... 

I did.  I see my own contradiction.  Perhaps the loan business muddied the waters - Morton would probably have won at a canter irrespective.  But that Aidan Nesbit & Lawrence Shankland turned up, whilst Jordan Thompson & Ryan Hardie did not, certainly contributed.

As regards RS, I am possibly guilty of recalling Skacel in his pomp - forgetting he is now closer to 40 than 30.

50 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Skacel is by far our least threatening attacking player, and that really is saying something. Never has a player been more finished.

If he signed for Morton Duffy would have him back in the Czech Republic squad by the season's end.

Just like to say opposition fans generally say every week that M'Voto looks like an accident waiting to happen. I've thought that since he signed, but the accident is yet to arrive. He's a little clumsy, sure, but has been generally very good for us. Given it's a Gary Locke squad, there genuinely are about 20 players I'd be questioning before M'Voto. 

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Just like to say opposition fans generally say every week that M'Voto looks like an accident waiting to happen. I've thought that since he signed, but the accident is yet to arrive. He's a little clumsy, sure, but has been generally very good for us. Given it's a Gary Locke squad, there genuinely are about 20 players I'd be questioning before M'Voto. 

That first touch near the half way line that turned into a corner for ourselves was outstanding :lol:

When the SPFL released their team of the season so far at Xmas. M'Voto was in it.

I feel for our centre backs as they're given no protection from the full backs, McHattie especially, or the central midfield. Bene, M'Voto and Cuthbert, plus Davo for a few matches when he was solid at right back, are probably the only reason we're not sitting in 9th place right now.

Regarding the loan players...Morton, and others in this league, have definitely made better use if it. All Locke has done is go to his pal Davie. I thought it was bad when we had 4 from Hearts that month about 5 years ago but we've actually had more graduates of Murray Park playing for us this season than the Rangers first XI. Absolute lunacy from our board!

Solid (and important) win. Andy Murdoch clear MOTM.

Raith fans - How has Davidson been at RB? Thought he's looked much more effective at DM, protecting the back four anytime I've seen him. Pretty sure Duffy tried to bring him in while we were in League 1.

1 hour ago, Tidserou said:

Solid (and important) win. Andy Murdoch clear MOTM.

Raith fans - How has Davidson been at RB? Thought he's looked much more effective at DM, protecting the back four anytime I've seen him. Pretty sure Duffy tried to bring him in while we were in League 1.

Davo did well at RB. Nothing spectacular but solid.

Archived