Best and worst airports

Snakebite

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

In the UK I like Stansted(Just not the hassle when you get off at the wrong stop on the transfer train), Birmingham, and Manchester, although I thought the facilities pre security are utter shit at Manchester, Bristol and Glasgow are alright as well.

When we flew down for the football in November we got told the express was cancelled.

We were put on a train north to Cambridge then re-directed back into London from there, what should've been an hour turned into a 2 and a half hour journey. Then i found out the Stansted express was run by Southern Rail. Explained a lot really. 

Luton is the worst airport I've been to.  Been twice in the last year - granted they are doing a lot of work to improve the terminal but it's a soul destroying place.

I've only been there twice and have suffered about 5 hours of delays, not been able to get a pint as the bar area was so mobbed, had the wrong gate number come up on the board and generally had a shite time.

Innsbruck Airport was one of the most claustrophobic places I've been in, very enclosed and everyone seems to have no problem invading your private spaces whilst waiting or queuing.

I quite liked Geneva and although it's quite small, Nimes.

Frankfurt airport is bafflingly huge. It's almost impossible to get how big it is in terms of passengers and flights until you see it. Getting from arrivals to the train station is a trek. Once there, the choice of trains is amazing. ICE connection was great. It's just somewhere that demands a bit of time because of its size. Flight home on Saturday morning should be fun. I reckon 2.5 hours is a must to actually find my check in.

On 1/9/2017 at 12:45, Stu said:

Pearson at Toronto seemed decent enough when I used it last year, mainly because it had a Tim Hortons that was pretty much the same price as the shops in Toronto itself - although I did have an argument with someone when they gave me too much change. Also, it was miles from the gate we were using and my brother thought I'd got lost or detained by security. Would have quite liked to use the one right beside the city itself as it's on an island in Lake Ontario and you had to get a ferry - no idea where there wasn't a bridge as it must be one of the shortest ferry rides in the world.

Toronto Pearson the international terminal used to be shite compared to the domestic/US terminal but now it seems to have been improved, I do like that you can use ipads at the tables to order food and drink. The island airport Billy Bishop, I believe the city turned down plans for a bridge, no idea why. There is however a pedestrian tunnel which opened in 2015. Depending on the time of the year, mist from the lake can affect flights badly. 

As far as best goes I'd go with Schiphol, the facilitates were always good but the KLM service made it the best for me. Twice due to snow my flight has been delayed coming in when I was connecting to Edinburgh. First time some built Dutch woman meet my brother and I at the gate, then showed us the way, by running to the connecting Edinburgh flight. Second time I landed, my Edinburgh flight had already taken off by the time I arrived, I checked the automated KLM ticket machine and found out I'd already been moved onto the next available flight. 

Special mention to Greater Sudbury Airport in North Ontario, even though it's pretty far out from the city itself, it's a great wee airport. It has a grand total of six check in desks, two for each airline, a great little bar upstairs and you have to walk to and from the plane, which even in mid winter I enjoy.

The worst for me is Frankfurt. Just for what seemed to be a total lack of toilets. They serve some of the world's best beer but I could never find anywhere to go after I'd had one or five. Also I fell bad mentioning it as the staff were all pretty nice, but Manzanillo, Mexico was pretty awful when I was there, no bar or cafe and all the tourists were dropped off like two and a half hours before the flight. Upstairs looked like it had a half built bar but I felt they were missing out on some Pesos but not having a place open.

If people think Dalaman is the worst airport, they haven't been in a bad airport. It's pricey but it's an airport. What do folk expect?

I suppose it's all relative though, if you're comparing only to 'holiday' airports then it might be amongst the worst.

Just now, hk blues said:

I suppose it's all relative though, if you're comparing only to 'holiday' airports then it might be amongst the worst.

It's not even close to the worst 'holiday airport' anyway. 

There's a big difference between having a shite experience in an airport compared to being in a shite airport. 

• 2 weeks later...
Worst I have been to are Istanbul and Moscow Sheremetyevo (somebody needs to tell them that the Soviet Union is no more, because Domodedovo is very different and a lot more modern at least in my limited experience). In general I find large continental European and Asian airports much better than American ones, because they tend to have been built or modernised more recently and there is less misplaced paranoia from the staff about security. Best organized I have been at recently would be Munich, Dubai and Hong Kong.

Got to agree regarding the Moscow airports, although both are a pain in the arse to get to/from, even worse if you arrive at sheremetyevo and need to catch your onward flight at Domodovoda or vice versa.
Worst I've been to is either Luanda or Libreville - absolutely chaotic. Honorable mentions to Atlanta - staff are dreadful & the dreadful CDG.
Favourites are Schipol or T3 Dubai, also quite like George airport in the western cape.

Got to agree regarding the Moscow airports, although both are a pain in the arse to get to/from, even worse if you arrive at sheremetyevo and need to catch your onward flight at Domodovoda or vice versa.
Worst I've been to is either Luanda or Libreville - absolutely chaotic. Honorable mentions to Atlanta - staff are dreadful & the dreadful CDG.
Favourites are Schipol or T3 Dubai, also quite like George airport in the western cape.

Never really minded Sheremetyevo airport when I used to travel there (10 years ago now). Always found the rail link to Belorussky station pretty decent, but stayed in the north of the city and never had to transit to Domodedovo. So that probably makes a difference. Transferring from international to domestic terminal was a pain.

One thing that always made it good was Aeroflot were still flying TU-154's. Amazing plane to fly in and a throwback to the 60's

Did you travel to Angola before the arrivals was "done"up???It was a nightmare ffs

Yes, I think so anyway.....
If that was after it was "done up" then god only knows how horrendous it was before!
Last travelled there around 7-8 years ago.
One airport that did surprise me in that part of the world was Lagos surprisingly civilised (other than the quite open bribery & corruption).
I've just remembered Hassi Massoud in Algeria- very strange with at least 3 bag searches before you hand your checked in bags over. Then you need to identify your luggage on the Tarmac before they load it into the hold.
In saying that, it was charter flight from Gatwick and quite often there were more cabin crew than passengers, used to get absolutely pished & the cabin crew would let us smoke at the rear of the plane- this was long after the smoking ban. Halcyon days!

5 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Yes, I think so anyway.....
If that was after it was "done up" then god only knows how horrendous it was before!
Last travelled there around 7-8 years ago.
One airport that did surprise me in that part of the world was Lagos surprisingly civilised (other than the quite open bribery & corruption).
I've just remembered Hassi Massoud in Algeria- very strange with at least 3 bag searches before you hand your checked in bags over. Then you need to identify your luggage on the Tarmac before they load it into the hold.
In saying that, it was charter flight from Gatwick and quite often there were more cabin crew than passengers, used to get absolutely pished & the cabin crew would let us smoke at the rear of the plane- this was long after the smoking ban. Halcyon days!

It was the time you got visa on arrival,basically there was 2 desks and then you queued for a couple of hours then handed over your passport and had to wait in the same area for about 5hrs with no water and mossies everywhere,oh what fun it was :(

Addis Ababa is the best airport in Africa by a country mile

Has anyine gone through Ciampino airport? Just went through it today, And what an absolute shambles it is!. I was going to get the Shuttle to Ciampino Train Station then train to Roma. But the queue was horrendous. (About 150 people waiting) only one bus every 40 minutes. The buses also for the Shuttle to Roma Termini had queues about twice as long as that. After about an hour I decided a taxi to the local station would do, after waiting 25 minutes the driver then said €20 fixed price (basically to go one mile) told him to stick it. Then waited another 20 minutes to finally bus to Roma termini. 

Ended up taken me the best part of 2 hours to get out of the airport. Got into Roma at 2.10 instead of 12pm! 

Next time i go through here. I'm shoving past everyone to get to the bus first! 

56 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

Has anyine gone through Ciampino airport? Just went through it today, And what an absolute shambles it is!. I was going to get the Shuttle to Ciampino Train Station then train to Roma. But the queue was horrendous. (About 150 people waiting) only one bus every 40 minutes. The buses also for the Shuttle to Roma Termini had queues about twice as long as that. After about an hour I decided a taxi to the local station would do, after waiting 25 minutes the driver then said €20 fixed price (basically to go one mile) told him to stick it. Then waited another 20 minutes to finally bus to Roma termini. 

Ended up taken me the best part of 2 hours to get out of the airport. Got into Roma at 2.10 instead of 12pm! 

Next time i go through here. I'm shoving past everyone to get to the bus first! 

Thats expected in Italy

Ciampino airport is under a massive rebuilding programme it was a nightmare last year

Sharm el Shiekh airport was terrible. Security was poor , information was nonexistent , food and facilities were horrendous. Staff and security folk were rude and unhelpful. Kept hearing about staff hurrying you through security and baggage , when you backhandered them. 

Wasn't in the least surprised when the Russian plane got blown up. 

Schipol was pretty crap, I thought - a tiny terminal with a small shop and two options to get something to eat. Then again, I was flying easyJet to Nice rather than long haul somewhere. 

Heathrow I quite like - never had a problem there. Gatwick, on the other hand, is an absolute hell hole. They've made a decent effort with Gatwick in places, but the departure lounge is still an awful experience. Most airports are fairly crap overall, but CDG deserves the kicking it takes - dreadful place. 

My favourite airport is probably Boavista Rabil in Cape Verde. 

BVC_oliver_schubbe_openair_jpx64pobyz.jp

Archived