DUFC v QOTS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Poor, poor stuff. A tactical blunder by McKinnon for the second week in a row. Why play a 442 but use no natural width and have two sitting (and technically limited) midfielders? Unfortunately for him it also coincided with some really dreadful performances from the majority of players. I get a bit of stick for my views on Sean Dillon but he is a far better fullback than Toshney. Murdoch instead of Telfer? When you are trying to play football then it makes no sense to have both Flood and Murdoch on the park together. 

Murray was our best player, always a willing runner (plus he showed more awareness than usual). 

Why someone would leave a game of football after an hour is beyond me.

Yeah another tactical blunder right enough.

I'll cut Mikkelsen some slack given its his first start but I hope we've not just gone for the cheap option again, I really hope he has more to offer than what he showed today.  I had no problem with a change of formation but if we're going 4-4-2 that is not the team to play; its a sad indictment that when we reverted to our 4-2-3-1 we looked far more dangerous.

Someone must have a word in Ray's ear about Toshney at RB, and Dixon is getting constantly exposed on the other flank.  Our exposure in these positions will cause us points and possibly a promotion chance.

Yes managers come and go but this malaise of sitting deep and almost "being scared to win" keeps haunting us. We seldom, if ever, come back from the dead but we always want to make it exciting when in command.

That was an impressive display for 75 mins - much better than last week. We attacked with purpose and got our wide players into dangerous positions.

Can't fault the effort and the skill today but what a missed opportunity to really re-ignite our season.

Danny roasted Toshney on several occasions - such a shame about the final ball because we could have had 4/5. Gutted to throw that away.

1 hour ago, Gibby82 said:

Heard the QOTS manager after the game, talked about how they worked all week on exploiting our full backs. Painfully obvious how poor we are there.

f**k sake Pat Bonner, the least you can do is give the guy a name check. Very disrespectul.

Frustrating  to chuck away a two goal lead like that but considering how bleak it has been recently I'll take the point as losing that would have been truly traumatic for everyone and there is a lot of progress already from Naysmith.

United came out flying and when Murray scored with their first attack I was fearing a gubbing with us launching high balls to Dobbie against two massive centre halves but credit to the team for getting a foothold in the game and forcing United into making some basic mistakes. Brownlie I think had a brilliant knockdown for Dobbie and whilst it looked an easy chance, the amount of composure to control it and dink it over Bell is something that gets taken for granted, most players would have blasted it straight at the keeper from there but he gave Bell no chance. After that we on top without creating too much until the last 10 minutes of the first half where United bombarded the box. The second goal came from Rankin battling away in the middle of the park before Dobbie and Thomson linked up superbly, after having to witness Millar and Pickard as a central pairing for so long it's such a breath of fresh air to have midfielders that can attack and lead effectively not to mention Jacobs contributing in his way so well once again.

After Thomas scored a belter United looked out of ideas, but we let them back in coming from Danny sleeping at the back post before it got to Fraser, which at that stage we looked exhausted and nervous. United were a physically superior side and Durnan just added more chaos along with Obedayi. If you are going to be cagey you have to be a lot smarter and keep the ball and do the little things right to see out a game.

Thomas is a joy to watch, just beating admittedly terrible full backs with ease, just having someone with his pace and quality opens up the game a whole lot more for the likes of Dobbie to thrive. Carmichael on the other side felt rather ponderous and passing up shooting opportunities when he should have been braver, IMO Naymith should have taken him off for Dykes earlier rather than almost straight after the goal. Would have liked to have seen Thomas have a go at Toshney as well.

Defensively, Marshall did a good job on the overlap and though his end product isn't there he was actually putting balls in without as much hesitation which is good to see, Mercer looked decent for his first game especially with apparently only one training session under his belt.

Dundee Utd looked very poor considering the talented players they have, the new striker looked crap and they seem to play into our hands by launching it forwards to the centre halves for most of the game  only working when Durnan went up. I get that they are probably physically better but the first United goal showed that when they put it down and played quickly out wide that we could be exploited. Strange. 

Genuinely incredible how we put up with the utter dogshit of the midfields of the last few seasons. Rankin if he keeps it up could reach Derek Young level of love and I don't say such things lightly.

No surprise to hear opposition managers recognise we are shite in the fullback positions. The fans have been saying this all season.

Toshney looks like that mate who was always a rugby player really but started playing football - all effort but zero ability or awareness. Dixon's ability and awareness deserted him years ago. Robson should be seething.

#prayforvanderstrujik

I listened to Ray McKinnon on the radio on the way back, he mentioned conceding 3 'avoidable' goals several times. I was hoping the interviewer would point out that the 3 United scored were just as avoidable, probably more so! 

It was a very eventful game, tons of chances at both ends - though we didn't have a corner.

Could'nt believe some United fans leaving at 3-1, we have a long history of conceding late goals....

For the third, we all thought it was a foul for us before it was crossed in.

But compared to where we were a few weeks ago, it was an immense improvement.

Pretty much agree with everything sloop John b said. I'd add that Utd showed their physicality early on with a ref that was letting a lot go. Much pushing going on. Totally different ref to the St Mirren game who was blowing for everything. Have to say I prefer today's ref but it was working in Utd favour most of the game. Credit to Queens for a damn good performance and to Utd for not letting us get away with a win. Great game to watch.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought Alan Muir had a great game. Really good refereeing performance.

The referee was abysmal for both sides. Wasn't help by two inept linesmen either. The standard of officials this season has been as bad as I have ever seen.

I listened to Ray McKinnon on the radio on the way back, he mentioned conceding 3 'avoidable' goals several times. I was hoping the interviewer would point out that the 3 United scored were just as avoidable, probably more so! 
It was a very eventful game, tons of chances at both ends - though we didn't have a corner.
Could'nt believe some United fans leaving at 3-1, we have a long history of conceding late goals....
For the third, we all thought it was a foul for us before it was crossed in.
But compared to where we were a few weeks ago, it was an immense improvement.

Almost every Manager discredits the opposition after matches and invariably the reason for the defeat or draw is "gifted goals" or "avoidable goals". The most over used reason for a disappointing outcome.

Had to laugh when the discredited former England manager allardyce had the temerity to go down this route after seeing Andy Carroll score a quite brilliant goal from a seemingly impossible position yesterday.

Goals arrive because the opposition has forced the play into the final third - sometimes luck plays a part with a favourable bounce or a deflection - or dare I say the forward delivers a brilliant piece of play. Dom Thomas did that yesterday but apparently it was all down to poor defending.

The reality is that goals are what you want to see - if every defender did their job 100% it simply wouldn't be worth watching. Football remains a hugely unpredictable game and that is what make games like yesterday so exciting, enjoyable and frustrating in equal measures.

The first Queen of the South goal was a case of Durnan losing his header, Toshney being behind his man and Edge being caught on his wrong foot. The second was Fraser being muscled out by Rankin, Edge going for the wrong man and then Durnan not managing to get the block in. Finally, the third I thought yesterday was a case of Murdoch allowing the shot but the clearing header from Edge was abysmal.

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Really? All about opinions, I suppose. For me, he gave almost every 50/50 your way including where our new Danish haddie was hauled back when clean through.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

The referee was abysmal for both sides. Wasn't help by two inept linesmen either. The standard of officials this season has been as bad as I have ever seen.

I thought he refereed the game strongly, resisting the pressures of a loud home support who especially first half were shouting for fouls when someone looked in the direction of one of their players. I did think we were slightly fortunate on the one where the "Danish haddie" was trying to get clear though. I don't think it was a definite foul but I was expecting to see a free kick given. I also thought Willo Flood was a lucky boy not to see at least yellow for a high boot, studs up, challenge on Jordan Marshall first half which fortunately made no serious connection. Generally though, I'd be happy to see a refereeing performance like that every week. Let the game flow and didn't get picky.

Archived