DUFC v QOTS

I thought DUFC had under soil heating?

Obviously anyone travelling from Dumfries would have to be leaving before 11.45 if they wanted to allow a reasonable time to get to Dundee. Despite the heating system one assumes that there is a problem with a pitch.

I think the timing of the inspection is far too late and obviously works on the basis that only a few hundred fans will be coming from Dumfries and they don't really matter in the overall scheme of things. Supporters buses will be well on their way before decision made.

This happens season after season - and it begs the question what exactly is the point of having this heating system?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that if the pitch was unplayable at say 9.30 this morning match should have been postponed.

Clearly the pitch was totally unplayable at 9.30 this morning and the home club are gambling that a combination of heating and sunlight will thaw it out in the intervening period. The word precautionary infers that it willing pass the inspection but from speaking to the club earlier it appears that it is very much in the balance.

Home clubs continue to do this season after season ( we have been guilty of this as well) and it is ridiculous that it continues to happen and the travelling supporter is treated as a complete afterthought.

23 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The reality is that if the pitch was unplayable at say 9.30 this morning match should have been postponed.

Clearly the pitch was totally unplayable at 9.30 this morning and the home club are gambling that a combination of heating and sunlight will thaw it out in the intervening period. The word precautionary infers that it willing pass the inspection but from speaking to the club earlier it appears that it is very much in the balance.

Home clubs continue to do this season after season ( we have been guilty of this as well) and it is ridiculous that it continues to happen and the travelling supporter is treated as a complete afterthought.

If it had been called off this morning there would have been folk moaning they should have given it longer. Then it goes midweek and some are unhappy with that. 

Before you even think about players and the preparation made there's  hospitality, pies, programmes, staff employed for the day etc clubs have got to try and get games on even if it means some fans are affected.  

38 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Calling it off at 9.30 would be fucking ludicrous.

Not really. Leaving at 11.45 would give them 30 minutes to play with, if you take Google's predicted time of 2hr 40.

Yes, that's 30 for any delays on the road, to find somewhere to park, walk to the ground and get in though. I'm not saying it's not possible but it's not a "reasonable" amount of time to leave, particularly if you don't want to be arriving basically on kick off.

Monkman - I think we are talking here about a sensible time that allows for potential delay factors. Again although pitch is inspected at 11.45 by the time Ref has deliberated and made a decision another 15/20 mins could be lost.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I thought DUFC had under soil heating?

Obviously anyone travelling from Dumfries would have to be leaving before 11.45 if they wanted to allow a reasonable time to get to Dundee. Despite the heating system one assumes that there is a problem with a pitch.

I think the timing of the inspection is far too late and obviously works on the basis that only a few hundred fans will be coming from Dumfries and they don't really matter in the overall scheme of things. Supporters buses will be well on their way before decision made.

This happens season after season - and it begs the question what exactly is the point of having this heating system?

I do question sometimes whether United turn the heating on early enough. It's not like the snow's been that bad or has been unexpected. 

Fingers crossed anyway. I could really do with getting away from the bairns this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

There's clearly a balance to be struck but 9.30 is far too early. If 11.45 means that some travelling fans have to turn around then that's unfortunate but the alternative is that many more games are called off unnecessarily.

3 hours is plenty of time to get from Dumfries to Dundee, parked up and to the ground.

Obviously they want the game on, so it's logical to have the inspection as late as practicable, to ensure away fans suffer as little disruption as possible. It appears they've done this.

3 hours is plenty of time to get from Dumfries to Dundee, parked up and to the ground.

Obviously they want the game on, so it's logical to have the inspection as late as practicable, to ensure away fans suffer as little disruption as possible. It appears they've done this.

For you maybe, so I guess that's alright.

Archived