DUFC v QOTS

On 08/01/2017 at 18:42, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Toshney at RB?

0-17

We had five consecutive clean sheets with Toshney at right back, a run which ended in the first game that he missed due to suspension.

I'd add .. 'ya fud', but it seems rather redundant.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

We had five consecutive clean sheets with Toshney at right back, a run which ended in the first game that he missed due to suspension.

So, for clarity, you think Toshney is a good right back?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

So, for clarity, you think Toshney is a good right back?

I think he's fine. Others are entitled to have misgivings. Also fine. The suggestion that he's an awful right back whose appearance in that position will inevitably lead to instability in the back four and the concession of goals is demonstrably horseshit.

I'd say he's marginally better than Dillon and, probably, marginally worse than VDS.

Gents, apologies for intrusion on your thread but the big league has gone on holiday for some reason and it's more interesting reading about football that is being played or about to be played.
Toshney played for most of the season when we were promoted in extremis and relegated in rapidity without time to prepare when Rangers expired. During that time he was mostly at centre half, and as a young raw lad in that position he looked pretty good. With a reasonable level of ball control he was good in the air as well, but I don't see him as a full back. He doesn't have the pace for it as was admirably demonstrated by the flying Hibees wingers on Friday evening.
McKinnon must know this having seen taken him to Raith. Can only conclude that he thinks that he's the least worst of the boys at Tannadice in that position.
Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Gents, apologies for intrusion on your thread but the big league has gone on holiday for some reason and it's more interesting reading about football that is being played or about to be played.
Toshney played for most of the season when we were promoted in extremis and relegated in rapidity without time to prepare when Rangers expired. During that time he was mostly at centre half, and as a young raw lad in that position he looked pretty good. With a reasonable level of ball control he was good in the air as well, but I don't see him as a full back. He doesn't have the pace for it as was admirably demonstrated by the flying Hibees wingers on Friday evening.
McKinnon must know this having seen taken him to Raith. Can only conclude that he thinks that he's the least worst of the boys at Tannadice in that position.
Cheers.

Despite the last couple of results we have a pretty decent central defence partnersip in The Edge and Durnan.  That said I would be happy to see Toshney played in that position in the event of suspension/injury/drop of form in one of these two.  Toshney has also played in defensive midfield and was OK.  He's rank rotten at RB.

I would expect that the away success at Paisley will prompt the continuation of the 4-5-1 formation at Tannadice. I suspect that we will attempt to sweat it out for a 0-0 or try and rely on a rare breakaway or a set piece to sneak a goal against the head.

Personally speaking not the way that I want us to play but I guess this is where we are heading. Dobbie is wasted as lone striker and while Lyle will be fit again the three central midfielders will need to be accommodated so 4-5-1 looks favourite. Sincerely hope that we don't set up negatively like this with Danny almost playing as an auxiliary left back but I think we will.

8 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Could be wrong like, but did he not come on for VDS after half time against Morton? And then gave away a penalty in his first start against Hibs, sent off next game against Raith and then back to back horrific games against Dumbarton and Hibs?

He is comical at right bsck

It's certainly an interesting one now that Naysmith has the option to put his own stamp on the team. Will he bring Lyle back in or stick with the three central midfielders. Ideally he would find a system that allows him to do both. I think all three midfielders have different attributes that compliment each other. As do Dobbie and Lyle.

Realistically to accommodate both aspects he can't really play both Danny and Dom Thomas. To be fair if Danny is deployed in a deep wide left role it is probably best if he is left in reserve as that is not making best use of him. Whatever is decided just hope we don't get trapped in our own half for entire match.

14 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

It's certainly an interesting one now that Naysmith has the option to put his own stamp on the team. Will he bring Lyle back in or stick with the three central midfielders. Ideally he would find a system that allows him to do both. I think all three midfielders have different attributes that compliment each other. As do Dobbie and Lyle.

I'd be very surprised if he doesnt start the same team as last week against Utd.

We had some discussions about formations last week, but I dont see how he can fit 3 midfielders and Lyle and Dobbie into the team. I think its more likely Jacobs will drop out if Naysmith wants to play 2 strikers.

I'd be very surprised if he doesnt start the same team as last week against Utd.
We had some discussions about formations last week, but I dont see how he can fit 3 midfielders and Lyle and Dobbie into the team. I think its more likely Jacobs will drop out if Naysmith wants to play 2 strikers.

I agree on all counts.

Away to second in the league is exactly the type of game you need Jacobs. Games we need to be taking to our opponents he will probably be sacrificed.

Anyway it's been a while since we've had a "one up front is the root of all evil" discussion.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I agree on all counts.

Away to second in the league is exactly the type of game you need Jacobs. Games we need to be taking to our opponents he will probably be sacrificed.

Anyway it's been a while since we've had a "one up front is the root of all evil" discussion.

:lol: Indeed. Simple game 4-4-fucking 2

_44258315_mikebasset203.jpg

I am indeed correct. So other than Hibs, our terrible performances have coincided with him coming back in the team. 

Correct, he is murder and ive repeatedly said as much since we signed him. A little part of me dies every time i read a teamsheet and his names on it

Archived