Has anyone had an epiphany on Epiphany?

Eednud

Oh, I see... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(holiday)

Closest I've had today is looking around at house prices and realising they're batshit nuts, and as a lifelong renter I'm getting a new appreciation for the term 'job security'.

Seriously, why have house prices tripled in the last ~15 years?

2 hours ago, banana said:

Closest I've had today is looking around at house prices and realising they're batshit nuts, and as a lifelong renter I'm getting a new appreciation for the term 'job security'.

A mixture of low supply/high demand and continued inflationary reactions to fractional reserve banking.

A mixture of low supply/high demand and continued inflationary reactions to fractional reserve banking.

Why is there low supply? What's fractional reserve banking?

So is there any chance whatsoever that prices will ever return to non-batshit levels?

18 minutes ago, banana said:

So is there any chance whatsoever that prices will ever return to non-batshit levels?

Depends where you are in the country. Midlands and north, supply isn't as much of an issue. South East it's a bigger issue. Lots of reasons for it. Population growth probably the main driver.

Fractional reserve banking is the method by which banks are able to lend more money than they actually hold on deposit. They pretty much create cash when they hand out things like mortgages and loans.

Depends where you are in the country. Midlands and north, supply isn't as much of an issue. South East it's a bigger issue. Lots of reasons for it. Population growth probably the main driver.
Fractional reserve banking is the method by which banks are able to lend more money than they actually hold on deposit. They pretty much create cash when they hand out things like mortgages and loans.

I'm checking prices all over, they're batshit everywhere including the Midlands bar complete shitholes towns in the north of England, and even there the value for money is very poor.

The south is nuttier and London obscene, ofc. Who the f**k can afford to live in the city? Even the execs in my company commute from way out due to house prices.

10 minutes ago, banana said:

I'm checking prices all over, they're batshit everywhere including the Midlands bar complete shitholes towns in the north of England, and even there the value for money is very poor.

The south is nuttier and London obscene, ofc. Who the f**k can afford to live in the city? Even the execs in my company commute from way out due to house prices.

I know a few people working in the City, and other than a couple who have their accomodation paid for by their employer, they all commute and still pay obscene money to share a house with someone else.

22 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

No, but I've had a fag on Ash Wednesday and a w**k on Palm Sunday. 

I once gave my neighbour a loan of my stepladder on Lent and forgot to ask for it back until Remembrance Sunday.

9 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Guess it made a change from choirboys.

Is that not more of an Anglican inclination? For our separated brethren it should perhaps be altar boys.

Yours,

(Currently at a bit of a loose end) Mr Pedantic

7 hours ago, banana said:

2007/2008 housing bubble in the US wasn't properly dealt with, considering the aftermath. Think the same thing will happen in the U.K. 

10 hours ago, banana said:

there's always a chance, but considering the entire uk economy is a house of cards built on inflated house prices, then it wont be pretty if it does

Archived