Liam Buchanan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Simulated for a penalty on our visit to. Livingston this season.

Yeah, he does that.

Still a quality Championship-level striker - I doubt you'll get many Wasps who'd argue that Danny Lennon's biggest failing was in not re-signing him for us. The rumour was that Liam got sick of waiting around when Livi had a firm offer for him. Sickener.

14 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

It's sometimes seen as a desirable skill. Being a cheating b*****d.

I didn't like it much, but he's good at it, and it's hard to complain when your team's benefitting. He'd be just as good without it, but I'm sure he'd argue that part of his game has more positives than drawbacks.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yeah, he does that.

Still a quality Championship-level striker - I doubt you'll get many Wasps who'd argue that Danny Lennon's biggest failing was in not re-signing him for us. The rumour was that Liam got sick of waiting around when Livi had a firm offer for him. Sickener.

Alloa were desperate to keep him. He came back to pre-season training and would probably have signed again until Livingston's transfer embargo was then lifted and he obviously took the full-time deal. Can't pin that one on Danny Lennon at all. 

I feared Buchs was a busted flush when we signed him but he had a great season and scored some famous goals. Just one season with us but earned a place in club history. Really put his own career back on track as well. Could still do a job in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Alloa were desperate to keep him. He came back to pre-season training and would probably have signed again until Livingston's transfer embargo was then lifted and he obviously took the full-time deal. Can't pin that one on Danny Lennon at all. 

My memory's worse than I thought. The title of 'worst mistake made by Danny Lennon' is still up for grabs  :P

He truly is the best striker in this league by a mile. Andy Ryan and players like that can only dream of having a quarter of his goal scoring ability.

6 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I feared Buchs was a busted flush when we signed him but he had a great season and scored some famous goals. Just one season with us but earned a place in club history. Really put his own career back on track as well. Could still do a job in the Championship.

He turned down other clubs to stay at Alloa and I don't think Alloa gave him a great offer in the end. That's what I understand anyway.

Great player and a class act. Would love to see him back at Alloa.

Just now, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

He turned down other clubs to stay at Alloa and I don't think Alloa gave him a great offer in the end. That's what I understand anyway.

Great player and a class act. Would love to see him back at Alloa.

Disappointing if we didn't make him a really good offer. Can see why they took Chopra back but with hindsight I'm sure you could have used some of that cash to tie up Buchs and had enough left over to get somebody else half decent in too. Probably wouldn't have been enough to save us anyway, there were more fundamental problems with that squad.

It's rare you see a player get better as they get older but Buchanan is in the form of his life, considering he's been one of the top goal scorers in the league the last 3 or 4 season even though he's been in struggling teams is complement to him. 

Its not just his goal scoring though, he has a proper football brain, really good at holding the ball up and bringing people into the game. 

We've been lucky to have him during his best career spell and I recon he's still got a good couple years of scoring at a good level yet. 

150 goals? God I can remember when he just started to break into our first team. Scored some crucial goals for us including the opening goal when we won our first league title in 67 years. 

Think he had a wee spell where he struggled for form once he left Partick.  Did he not end up in Ireland for a little while?

4 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

150 goals? God I can remember when he just started to break into our first team. Scored some crucial goals for us including the opening goal when we won our first league title in 67 years. 

Think he had a wee spell where he struggled for form once he left Partick.  Did he not end up in Ireland for a little while?

Never really cut it at East End but he's not the first and won't be the last striker to have a barren spell with us. Not seen him much lately but was a cracking player at Cowden. Some team with him and Markus running riot. 

19 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Never really cut it at East End but he's not the first and won't be the last striker to have a barren spell with us. Not seen him much lately but was a cracking player at Cowden. Some team with him and Markus running riot. 

We had a wonderful team back then.  We had Clarke and Buchanan up top with Markus and Morgaro Gomis in midfield. We had Gary Smith and Innes Ritchie at the back - was one hell of a spine we had. 

How I miss them right now :lol: If I remember right we started the 06/07 season with something like 18 goals in our first 4 matches (including the cup) which included 4 goals in 5 minutes against Alloa!

Will always remember him scoring a fantastic winner for us at east end park a few years ago a brilliant floated shot over the keeper. When we got relegated that season he had fallen out of favour with Gary Naysmith and the up coming Nathan Austin had become first choice striker.Having seen him on Saturday he was a standout in a very mediocre livingstone team.

3 hours ago, fifer67 said:

Will always remember him scoring a fantastic winner for us at east end park a few years ago a brilliant floated shot over the keeper. When we got relegated that season he had fallen out of favour with Gary Naysmith and the up coming Nathan Austin had become first choice striker.Having seen him on Saturday he was a standout in a very mediocre livingstone team.

Him and Pittman have been stand outs this season.

Wouldn't judge us on our games against East Fife at Bayview though, we wouldn't be sitting top of the league if we'd played as badly in all our other games.

Archived