The OA (Netflix)

Captain Material

Surprised there wasn't a thread so i might as well start one. 

Very intriguing, bordering on the complete mental. The premise is basically the mystery surrounding a girl who disappeared 7 years ago and suddenly is found. Needs help to achieve something and goes about recruiting 5 others to help her. 

Anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Large %age of it set in "normal" circumstances and settings, however there are a couple of scenes which are "out there" and i dont know how i feel about them yet!

I think they're banking on fans of Stranger Things liking this one too. 

I've seen the first couple of episodes of The OA so far and am very interested to see how it develops.  Jason Isaacs was on the Kermode & Mayo film review podcast a couple of weeks ago and they were discussing it.  Interestingly, he mentioned Netflix made a conscious decision not to do any publicity around it and just let it develop naturally, which is quite unusual.

• 4 weeks later...

Just started watching this recently and watched the first four episodes so far. I'm really enjoying it, there's a lot of weird, but things are starting to make a little more sense as it goes on. Having read a few articles about the possibility of a second series, I'm a bit apprehensive about how its going to end.

Watched a couple more episodes last night. It's good, I'm kinda enjoying it and it's got better now Jason Isaacs is in it ... I dunno, there's still something that's stopping me from loving it.

Up to ep4 and already enjoying it way more than 'Stranger Things' (which is so unbelievably overrated) and which had similar themes.

There was a flippin cool thing in ep1, you get into like an hour then the story flips on a sixpence and "Netflix presents" fades onto the screen. Not a spoiler just a cool production note

• 2 years later...

Anyone watch the second season? I've just finished the first season and not sure whether to keep watching or not.

I was expecting to understand more and more the further I got into it but it's just got more and more weird.

Even though there is a supernatural element to it, I'd still expect it to pass a few basic logic tests but some things just don't add up.

I watched the 2nd series, its more of the same - or maybe even a bit weirder. While explaining some things from the first it opens up more questions. 

I've started watching the second. There's so much bizarre stuff going on it's hard to keep up. And some forced coincidences too. 

Did she really have to Skype with her adopted mum in the other dimension?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2019 at 20:57, charger29 said:

I've started watching the second. There's so much bizarre stuff going on it's hard to keep up. And some forced coincidences too. 

Reveal hidden contents

Did she really have to Skype with her adopted mum in the other dimension?

I thought it was probably the best way to show how small changes can have a big impact - the outcome of one event can change someones life completely.

I thought it was probably the best way to show how small changes can have a big impact - the outcome of one event can change someones life completely.
It did make more sense later on in season 2 when it was explained why some people happen to meet "again".

Don't think I'd watch a hypothetical season 3. It's just a bit too bizarre.