Queens Park v. Airdrie 7th Jan 2017

4 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Wullie Muir didn't have much to do, but did it when it mattered. Great 3 points and a good team performance! Hope Gibson recovers quickly, but I'm encouraged we have a solid, hard-working squad and don't have to rely on one or two 'superstars'.

Aye, hopefully Gibby makes a swift return. He's been very solid when he's played. With regard to the reaction of the Airdrie support when he was going round in the stretcher, I simply say this. Get it right up ye. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from about 5 minutes after we scored that was the worst performance I can remember in recent years. Can't remember us creating a single chance apart from Russell's during that 5 minute spell.

People will focus on individual performances because there were some shockers, but the team as a unit looked horrendous. Ryan completely isolated, Russell in no man's land the whole game and both full backs completely exposed by a lack of cover in front of them (something which has been pointed out numerous times on here). I have no idea what the plan was to create chances.

Can't even be arsed going into detail, but I hope this is the pit point that we needed to reach for some major changes to be made. I can hope.

Well that was fucking awful. 

Different week same problems. Still can't defend. Lost two simple goals again. I could see the no. 5 lose his man easily before scoring the winner from the stand yet the chomps in the defence didn't even notice. And the first goal was a joke too. It's the same every week and it's not good enough. Someone in the concourse said we're looking to bring in two centre - halves and whilst I always take these rumours with a pinch of salt, I hope to God it's true. It's desperately needed as Boateng is nothing more than a liability and Gorman has been poor for a few weeks now. The full backs were totally exposed today too (again) which caused them no end of trouble.

There doesn't seem to be any plan and the players don't seem as if they know what to do - especially when we go behind. We just pass the ball around aimlessly or hump the ball up the park to nobody. We have some good creative midfielders but we don't use them or when do get the ball to them there's nobody making decent runs off the ball. I don't remember any chances we created from free - play today apart from maybe Russell's missed sitter near the end of the first - half. 

A real lack of pace and urgency to our play too. Teams can hit us effectively on the break but our play is really laboured. 

We're a full-time team but almost every team seems fitter than us. 

What was up with Rohan's kicking today? Couldn't find a man on only the biggest pitch in the country but kicking to a winger who's never going to win an ariel challenge seems like a daft idea in the first place anyway. 

The good news is our DOF was at Starks Park reporting for Radio Clyde so should be easily able to identify and fix these problems...

Big changes needed and hopefully today and other recent performances hammer that home and cause them to happen.

Totally agree with what's been said. Another terrible performance. We seem to be saying the same things after every match about our defending. Boateng is without doubt one of the worst players that I have seen in an Airdrie shirt and I've seen a few duds in my +35 years of going to games. The central defenders get most of the blame but the 2 full backs don't help by getting caught out of position up the park or failing to stop crosses into the box. Don't think there were any pass marks today.

5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Superb performance all through the team, and a thoroughly deserved win. Once again Gus produces the goods in terms of team selection and tactics.

Best ever display by Paul Woods?

He was outstanding, but you could go down the whole teamsheet. Even the subs who came on did very well. We bossed the game until they equalised and looked a wee bit ragged until about mid way through the second half. After that, we were the better side again. This team just continues to impress more and more. We all know that everyone else thought we'd be the whipping boys, which makes it all the more enjoyable. Running out of superlatives.

Cannot praise the team highly enough. Apart from a sticky patch at the end of the 1st half after they scored and the first 10 minutes of the second half, we were by far the more energetic of the 2 and for those who didn't know it was QP that looked like the full time team.

Great celebrations after our second goal shows just how together the squad are and proves that last week was just a blip --- bring on the Brechin !!.

Airdrie wont be moving out of this league based on today's performance.

Aye, Woodsy had a good day and young McPherson was inspirational. First time in a while I felt we were likely to score with each attack. Midfield were immense though. Fotheringham and McKernon again bossing everything but what about Brady today? Superb. And that first goal. Couldn't ask anymore from our favourites at the moment. Every one of the guys were top drawer today. Gus finally seems to have got the mix he's been after and produced a squad that not only works hard for each other but actually plays some silky football too. Please gents, no more settling for 8th. These boys are better than that.

Felt sorry for these Airdrie fans who think that a player who was clearly badly injured is somehow cheating. Not surprising though given how many of their own team spent diving and twirling. Maybe if they just stay on their feet and play the game things might be better. On today's showing you've plenty of room for improvement. 

Fantastic team performance today. Gus got his lineup and tactics spot on with starting Macpherson upfront who led the line brilliantly considering it was his first ever start in the league. Everyone played their part and the defence kept Ryan quiet. Would obviously still take 8th come the end of the season, however this team are definitely capable of fighting it out for the promotion play off spots. 

We were appalling today once again.

The whole defensive unit had a shocker, especially Gorman.

What does Russell actually bring to the team? He went into hiding in the second half. Can't believe he missed that one on one too, a man of his ability and experience should be burying that. Had he scored it could have been a different game.

Credit to QP though, they played some nice stuff at times today.

Queen's must be the luckiest team ever!  In recent weeks we've beaten Livi, Airdrie & Brechin as well as drawing with Alloa, and each time their fans have posted that it was their team's worst performance of the season. To any club chairman thinking that Gus is the man to revive their fortunes I can only advise "don't be so stupid" as it's plain to see that he's just been fortunate that almost all our opponents this season just happen to have bad days at the office when it's their turn to play us. It's such an amazing run of coincidence that astute observors of the game might be fooled into believing that our success might be due to great organisation, fantastic team spirit & determination, skillful play or tactical superiority.

The funny thing is though, to paraphrase Gary Player.............the more that Queen's practice those attributes, the luckier we seem to get!

55 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Queen's must be the luckiest team ever!  In recent weeks we've beaten Livi, Airdrie & Brechin as well as drawing with Alloa, and each time their fans have posted that it was their team's worst performance of the season. To any club chairman thinking that Gus is the man to revive their fortunes I can only advise "don't be so stupid" as it's plain to see that he's just been fortunate that almost all our opponents this season just happen to have bad days at the office when it's their turn to play us. It's such an amazing run of coincidence that astute observors of the game might be fooled into believing that our success might be due to great organisation, fantastic team spirit & determination, skillful play or tactical superiority.

The funny thing is though, to paraphrase Gary Player.............the more that Queen's practice those attributes, the luckier we seem to get!

Why do you assume that fans of those clubs don't think it's due in part to QP playing well? As hard as it is to believe, fans tend to only really be focused on their own team's performances and will rarely make more than a passing comment on the opposition - as a few Airdrie fans have already done. Queen's played well today and completely deserved to win. I also thought you were the better team in the opening game of the season at Hampden where we were fortunate to win, and the cup game was pretty even too, there's no doubt that you are far better managed.

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

I wouldn't say alloa played all that bad from what i saw , just you guys played well!

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Why do you assume that fans of those clubs don't think it's due in part to QP playing well?

The more astute ones probably do DaF, but as much as I (and every other QP fan) am enjoying our "Leicester" of a season, it's starting to grate that every recent match thread following a QP victory (or draw at Alloa) focuses on the "we were rubbish" aspect thereby inferring that Queen's were lucky that we didn't get you on a good day. You're absolutely right that opposition fans will mostly view things from their own perspective, and that's as it should be but from my standpoint it's getting a bit repetitive seeing it week after week. Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic that we keep producing these great results, but I was just hoping that there would be a greater realisation that more often than not a bad performance by your team is largely due to being outmanaged and outplayed by the other. We are completely bereft of goalscoring forwards or midfielders (top scorers are defenders), and yet somehow Gus is managing to turn a team of senior rejects/ former juniors into the current in-form side of this division, to the extent that we are now regularly beating full-time outfits. Quite how the man wasn't recognised in the New Year Honour's lists is quite beyond me, but hopefully we'll be able to hold onto "Sir Gus" that little bit longer as his name is still associated with "park the bus, Gus" and long may that ignorance continue.

Turning to your side, before the game myself and my mates were in agreement that we'd bite your hand off for a draw, but after the first five minutes we saw what bombscares your defenders were through over-playing it from the back and thought you were there for the taking if we pressed you all over the park and didn't give you time to settle, and thankfully we didn't just sit back but had a real go and deserved the win. I still think Airdrie and Livi will finish as the top two sides, but only if you ditch Boateng and cut-out the kamikaze stuff at the back - masters of total football you ain't!

As for Queen's I'll still be happy with anywhere between 8th & 5th. 4th place would make for an extraordinary end to an amazing season (thus far!), but it would also draw unwanted attention to Gus and our better players and I'd prefer to avoid another summer raping of our squad if at all possible. "Play-Off Winners" for the second successive season has a nice ring to it though!

Totally outplayed today by a better side from the kickoff. Why is it then that a full time side like ours is outplayed and out thought by a side that will probably be mid-table at the end of the season.

The reasons are pretty straightforward in my opinion. We have a side put together and managed by people  inexperienced in their job at every level. Inexperience in putting the side together and managing in this manner it results in what we had today, just as we had with Boyle and Black. Every Queens Park player today knew their role and were fully committed and motivated by a seasoned manager whilst our lot looked lost and devoid of any leadership.

Blame the players but as we have seen, many of Boyle and Black’s players went on to perform better when they had left the club.

The lack of a solid defense has chiseled away at the team’s confidence where they go out and feel that they have to score three to win any game. This state of affairs was due to panicked signings at the start and the delusion by many that Scott Stewart could do a job at right back.

We have probably the best group of players we have had in a long while but the deficiencies have been staring out at everyone for some time now.

Get the defense sorted quickly, we have the third worst goals against record in the league. We are not getting promoted on the back of that.

Thought we were great today . Brady was fantastic as were all the team . Thought Airdrie fans were poor . Booing their team and booing the QP player as he went off injured maybe full time fans have a different perspective on the game now . I agree with a lot of your support your defence were poor . Hope Gus asked his son in law over for dinner tonight should be a laugh . 

Archived