Queens Park v. Airdrie 7th Jan 2017

Both teams had been in pretty decent form but both go into this game after a loss.

I know Queens lost their Canadian loanee who returned to Hearts before Christmas and not sure he's been replaced which may help explain their loss to Stranraer.

Airdrie had an absolute howler at home to the Rovers thanks to their paper thin squad.   Scott Stewart and Jack Leitch missed that due to sickness as well as Kyle Hutton being suspended.

Although absolutely mortified at us losing the game and not exactly thrilling the bumper crowd,  I'm absolutely certain we'd have romped that game if Stewart and Leitch were available.   Therefore,  I'm more than confident we'll bounce back against a Queens side that have struggled against us earlier in the season when we were less capable.

What team, or formation, we pick is pretty much up for debate though.   Our back four have been utterly horrendous of late.   Gorman had been our best hope but his last 4 games have been really disappointing.   McIntosh has been flourishing in some ways but a few mistakes and "greenness" still exist.   McDonald at left back is best carrying the ball out of defence but definitely not defending,  and the least said about the Mr. Boateng the better.     Conversely though, we now have a bit of a dilemma with the front players.   New striker McKay didn't exactly impress on Monday but he showed decent technique and was likely a mile off the pace and needing a few games.   Ryan, despite a poor game,  has terrorised Queens this year and a certain starter.   But we also have Stewart, Hutton, Leitch, Brown, Conroy, and Russell vying for the six spots.   Stewart may well end up at the back but that still leaves one spot uncertain.

Do we go 442, 433 or is there another twist?   If McKay and Ryan start up top who plays on the wings?   Do we play Leitch wide left with Brown on the right?   Does Russell drop out after a few sub-par displays?   Does Stewart go into the defence and who drops out of the back line?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Russell is a non starter. He looked like a lost wee boy against the Rovers which shows he isn't comfy playing out of his usual position.

I personally wouldn't start moving Leitch around either. He was great against Stranraer so would be looking for more of the same from him.

McKay didn't impress me on Monday either, but neither did Russell or Ryan. Rovers were very effective in not allowing us to feed our forwards, so they didn't have too many chances to impress anyway.

A loss on Saturday would be pretty disastrous. Hopefully Rovers can beat Brechin and allow us to open up at least a bit of a gap.

♢♢♢

Would see team as

Ferguson

McIntosh          Boateng          Gorman      Macdonald

Brown              Leitch              Conroy        Stewart

Russell              Ryan

With possibly Cairns in for Boateng / Gorman,  Hutton/Loudon for Stewart/Brown  & Mckay for Russell or Hutton in & Stewart replacing McIntosh (which would be harsh on McIntosh)

Personally I would replace Gorman (Cairns), Brown (Loudon) & Russell (Mckay)  (2 from 3 or at least subs if not going well at half time) to give them a shake up but good to see squad not as thin as of late if all fit & no suspensions.

Airdrie are the one team that we've really not got to grips with this year.  Their defence looks rocky, but we're not exactly the guys to take advantage of that....unfortunately.  

Although we were pretty dire on Saturday in a dire, dire game, we've had a really good run of late.  We're pretty solid at the back and the midfield are definitely getting it together.  The most confident prediction I could make, though, is that there will be some theatrics from the likes of Russell and Ryan.

This is a must win game. We've unacceptably dropped 6/6 from our last two home games and really need to start pulling away from the rest of the top 4 and the mid table sides.

QP are on a good run of form but for some reason haven't shown up against us yet this season. Due a performance against us? Then again there must be a reason for that right?

I would line up:
Ferguson
Stewart McIntosh Gorman MacDonald
Hutton Conroy Leitch
McKay Ryan Russell

With Conroy and Leitch dropping back and forward respectively as and when they need to.

The Russell and Ryan partnership has been effective this season, they've also both scored against QP this season already, and I think there is a place for both of them and McKay in the starting line up without having to move any of them out of position. When we choose to go more direct, as will inevitably happen, I'd like us to send the ball to McKay rather than Ryan or Russell. He didn't do much on Monday but did win his fair share of ariel challenges. A direct out ball is something we've missed this season.

I expect goals.

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

This is a must win game. We've unacceptably dropped 6/6 from our last two home games and really need to start pulling away from the rest of the top 4 and the mid table sides.

QP are on a good run of form but for some reason haven't shown up against us yet this season. Due a performance against us? Then again there must be a reason for that right?

I would line up:
Ferguson
Stewart McIntosh Gorman MacDonald
Hutton Conroy Leitch
McKay Ryan Russell

With Conroy and Leitch dropping back and forward respectively as and when they need to.

The Russell and Ryan partnership has been effective this season, they've also both scored against QP this season already, and I think there is a place for both of them and McKay in the starting line up without having to move any of them out of position. When we choose to go more direct, as will inevitably happen, I'd like us to send the ball to McKay rather than Ryan or Russell. He didn't do much on Monday but did win his fair share of ariel challenges. A direct out ball is something we've missed this season.

I expect goals.

No Brown after his wondergoal?

Must admit, I've been disheartened to see us going long ball lately, especially v. Livi and Rovers.   Surely against 2 bohemoth centre backs you need to use a deep lying striker and run them?   Ryan's best games this season were when terrorising QP.   

Brown is coming back to the boil. Would be insane to cut him out now.

I'd rather see Stewart make space for somebody. Maybe because of his injuries but he's hardly set the pitch on fire recently.

Would sit Danny Bo out for this one and gie John Higgins a chance. (Wont happen though.)

♢♢♢

I'd go:

IMG_1483628310.109150.jpg.4ae8be84ef1c78

Hampden is a cracking big pitch and we've had success in the wide areas in our previous two visits.

Therefore I'd go with pace out wide. Brown, despite being an utter shitebag, has been good going forward the last couple of weeks so I'd stick with him. And Louden has looked really lively in his last couple of cameo appearances so I'd give him an opportunity to get at the full backs.

I'd drop Boateng, who looks low on confidence having had a nuke on Saturday, and Russell who for me has been anonymous for most of the season.

Maybe bring on McKay after 60 mins or so to see how he gets on.

45 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

No Brown after his wondergoal?

Must admit, I've been disheartened to see us going long ball lately, especially v. Livi and Rovers.   Surely against 2 bohemoth centre backs you need to use a deep lying striker and run them?   Ryan's best games this season were when terrorising QP.   

Ach Brown frustrates me. There's a talented player in there but he's too inconsistent and he's definitely not a winger. In my line up you could certainly include him instead of Russell or McKay. I think he'd be more effective there. He can certainly strike a ball anyway. And for what it's worth I know fine well he won't be dropped. 

Me too. We've played our best football when we've kept the ball on the deck and especially against QP as you say. Suppose it's a good thing to have that option with McKay though.

56 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I'd go:

IMG_1483628310.109150.jpg

Hampden is a cracking big pitch and we've had success in the wide areas in our previous two visits.

Therefore I'd go with pace out wide. Brown, despite being an utter shitebag, has been good going forward the last couple of weeks so I'd stick with him. And Louden has looked really lively in his last couple of cameo appearances so I'd give him an opportunity to get at the full backs.

I'd drop Boateng, who looks low on confidence having had a nuke on Saturday, and Russell who for me has been anonymous for most of the season.

Maybe bring on McKay after 60 mins or so to see how he gets on.

Loved your visual and any team without Boateng who remains rank rotten is worth setting out with. I don't think he will bench Russell if only for his experience and the inevitable penalties conceded by QP for no apparent reasons. McKay like most loan players should earn his place from the bench.

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That's very impressive. All I could manage was this. Pros v Amateurs:(

Classic adidas.jpg

Takes me back almost to the days of dubbin' yer bits when only Black was available, and part time players were better than many of our current squad with their fashion slippers.

Good to see the club taking advantage of the SPL winter break by doing absolutely nothing to publicise the game. No senior games in Glasgow presents an ideal opportunity to drop the prices/pay what you can etc. and invite people in to help mark the start of an historic year for the club. We had over 2000 in for the Clyde game with a similar initiative a couple of years ago. I emailed the club with the suggestion and didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply, which came as no great surprise. A real missed opportunity to get more people through the gate, but if the club can't be bothered putting the work in to promote ourselves, particularly this year, then what chance have we got?

On the park, we've leaked goals against Airdrie. If we can defend as we have for most of the past couple of months, we can certainly get at them going forward. Would take the draw but, as we've seen, everyone can beat everyone else on any given week. My only prediction is that Ian Russell will score at least one penalty.

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

This is how they came out the box in the Seventies.

I can remember wearing a similar pair in 1966 for my school team and being a Diamond fan had a failed attempt at changing the white stripes to red. Mucky parks and red Blaize almost did the trick. Hope it is a good game on Saturday despite the surfeit of modern footwear. Is it still 2 quid for concessions and four for a pie?

8 minutes ago, Bob's Ska Mate said:

£4 for a pie? That would be extortion! £2.30. Pie & bovril= £4.60.

Apology for over pricing the pie. But Bovril  at the same price seems a lot for hot spicy water? I tend not to overeat at football games as I prefer a Curry take-away later. It's just that the concession price was so good back in August that I wondered if that was a one off. I will be prepared for whatever it costs as I still have my winter fuel allowance! Hope the game is tasty.

Archived