Taggart

1 hour ago, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

Got the full box set for Christmas. Probably my favourite TV show ever. Currently working my way through the early episodes. Any fans?

Hopefully you haven't got the version produced by SBL (an alternative name for John Williams Productions). SMG got them to do Taggart box sets some time back & the DVD quality was rank because the discs they were cut to were like something from the Barras - after a few plays completely unusable. They began turning up in the bargain books type shops when HMV etc got wise & refused to stock them after all the complaints they got.

For the Mark McManus era, one drinking game is taking a shot every time you see someone that was in a previous story reappearing in a different role. Don't do it on a night where you're back in work the next morning though.

John Williams DVDs are/were invariably shite (no idea if they're still going). You'd get the bare feature with no extras, or even subtitles, and it was always a dreadful VHS rip if it was a show from before the DVD age.

Their quality control was non-existent too - I'm sure I mind bitching on here about a Taggart episode where the sound quality gradually decreased until you couldn't make out what was being said by the end. Obviously just converted a VHS to digital and shipped it out for mastering without even giving it a watch  <_<

Edit: almost forgot the OP: Taggart's the business, although I've never enjoyed an episode without McManus. What a daft idea; imagine Columbo without Peter Falk  :rolleyes:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

• 3 years later...

In lockdown so scouring the web for content and stumbled across real Taggart (3 parters with Mark McManus) on STVPlayer but had to give up after 15 minutes as the picture quality is awful - looks like STV have stuck online a VHS recording of the original transmission that's been sitting on your Grannies sideboard since 1990.

Bizarrely a google found the same episode on the UKTV website (alongside a complete run of Taskmaster, Christ Alice Levine is the worst person they ever had on that show) where the picture quality was far better.

...and even though I hadn't seen it for 30 years I could still remember whodunnit! Lovely to see how grotty Weegieland was back in the mid to late 80s and who doesn't love an axe murder chopping folk up to the background of the Glasgow Garden Festival.