Rovers v Falkirk

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didn't exactly step up from recent performances but will take the win against a struggling Raith. Hopefully the players and management gain some confidence but still a lot of work to be done by Houston to turn things around.

I thought Grant was MotM today but Watson deserves a mention. Don't think he put a foot wrong considering it's been absolutely ages since he started a game (I think). Impressed again with Gallagher, Swansea no doubt preparing a £400k bid as I type 

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I thought Grant was MotM today but Watson deserves a mention. Don't think he put a foot wrong considering it's been absolutely ages since he started a game (I think). Impressed again with Gallagher, Swansea no doubt preparing a £400k bid as I type 

£400k+ add on's and give us Kingsley back and that is a deal.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You sometimes wonder how bod's come to the decision when appointing managers. Unfortunately far too many of them whilst perhaps being fans of the club know absolutely nothing about football. Then whilst every fan tells them till their blue in the face not to appoint a Gary locke or an Eddie May they still fire ahead anyway seemingly oblivious to the disaster that then lies ahead. Decisions like these can affect a club for years and yet bod's around the country still continue to make total feck ups in this area. Mind you I suppose clubs that are fan owned have no excuse for making a complete mess of things.

The word from the Rover's interview process was that Locke talked a good game and was very impressive in person, whilst the others were less so. You think they'd realise that anyone can talk themself up and in football your track record is more important. Always feel that Boards dismiss fans view with a slightly superior 'what the f**k do they know' attitude. 

20 minutes ago, keithgy said:

£400k+ add on's and give us Kingsley back and that is a deal.

Obviously tongue and cheek from you but it's scary how much money Kingsley is on since breaking into their 1st team and signing his new contract in the summer. It's definitely a different world down there!

Just now, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Obviously tongue and cheek from you but it's scary how much money Kingsley is on since breaking into their 1st team and signing his new contract in the summer. It's definitely a different world down there!

Yes it was indeed,Gallacher will be a great player but he is only 17 and seems to have his head in the right place.He wants to get 100 games under his belt before he thinks about moving anywhere.Nothing like playing every week.

Kingsley is unfortunate that Robertson is ahead of him for Scotland however his biggest concern right now is getting back into an atrocious Swansea team...how an average player like Fulton has had so many starts is beyond me...obv different positions but Kingsley twice the player

My thoughts:

• It was a clear handball for Raith's goal, no idea how it was missed, but dissapointed the falkirk defence just stopped
  • Was up the other end of the pitch, but not entirely convinced of the FK that led to Hippos goal
  • Hippo, whilst playing well, could have easily been sent off for two childish tugbacks in completely innocuous circumstances - he needs to cut that shit out.
  • The 'lunge' tackle on Hippo out on the left wing, in my eyes was a perfeclty fine tackle but by letter of the law in todays game could easily have been red - we seen two very similar tackles v dunfermline recently that went unpunished, but on the flip side watched Taiwo get sent off against Hibs for something much,much less severe. 

• Happy to see the fellow falkirk fans giving Stevenson a bit of respect (and some appluase which was maybe a bit much) after the challenge with Rogers. No way should he have been allowed to keep playing, Raith medical staff should be taking a look at themselves, hope the boy isnt too badly concussed.
  • Benedictus and Cuthbert were a comedy double act at the back for Rovers, absolutely sold 2, maybe 3 goals depending on how good Sir Bob's strike was.
  • On the contrary to Cuthbert, what a frikkin save from Danny at 2-1.  Best I've seen in a while.
  • The booking for Watson/offside, I actually think the ref might have got it spot on, if i understand the rules. Offisde is not given by the linesman rasing the flag, rather the ref blowing the whistle.  Before the ref blew, Watson fouled the raith player.  If he ref deemed he was somehow not interfering with play up until that point (ok the argument falls down here), then he could give a foul to raith.  I remember a painful memory of an aberdeen player scoring an OG after stretching out to block a cross going to a killie player who was clearly offiide.  The goal stood, Killie won the game and we were relegated by less than 3 points....
  • The players who came into the falkirk side today absolute took their chance, very happy with the performance of Watson and in particular McHugh.
  • I actually though Gallagher has his weakest game for us today, which im not too unhappy about with so much press and scouts watching :)

All in all, 4 goals might cloud the judgement a bit - we still didnt play well, nowhere near our potential. And FFS, lets not sarcastically cheer our own players again just for not kikcing the ball out the park?

22 minutes ago, distresseduke said:

Kingsley is unfortunate that Robertson is ahead of him for Scotland however his biggest concern right now is getting back into an atrocious Swansea team...how an average player like Fulton has had so many starts is beyond me...obv different positions but Kingsley twice the player

Kingsley has the Welsh left back to try and get ahead of, probaby one of their better platers unfortunately for Kingsley.

I'm the same about Fulton. Never thought he would get near there 1st team nevery mind be a regular in it. 

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I thought Grant was MotM today but Watson deserves a mention. Don't think he put a foot wrong considering it's been absolutely ages since he started a game (I think).

He's been really solid since he signed, aside from when he was playing next to the hapless Gasparotto.

Jesus, Cuthbert has really had a nightmare there. Again, the free kick isn't anywhere near the top bag, it seems like if it gets past the wall and it's on target is an automatic goal against us. McHugh's is near post, should be a big standard save. I've no idea what he even tries to do at the third. Fourth a deflection.

He's been due a bad one to be fair, he's had some cracking games for us this season. Just totally fell apart for him today.

Technically Fulton is head and shoulders the best player Falkirk have produced. Saying that I am surprised he has broken into a Premiership team.

Kingsley isn't even 2nd choice for Scotland as Tierney is in front of him too. IMO Kingsley is just as good at CH it is just a pity he is a couple of inches short for playing there at the top level.

I actually think a Muirhead - Grant CH pairing would be very good. It's not Muirhead's fault he's being played out of position (though in the first half today he did seem under the impression that the railway stand was part of the playing surface). As for Craigen, he's barely had a chance tbf. If he's not comfortable on the right side of midfield we shouldn't play him there 

He has had more than enough chances for me. Hopeless with the heart of a field mouse.

You sometimes wonder how bod's come to the decision when appointing managers. Unfortunately far too many of them whilst perhaps being fans of the club know absolutely nothing about football. Then whilst every fan tells them till their blue in the face not to appoint a Gary locke or an Eddie May they still fire ahead anyway seemingly oblivious to the disaster that then lies ahead. Decisions like these can affect a club for years and yet bod's around the country still continue to make total feck ups in this area. Mind you I suppose clubs that are fan owned have no excuse for making a complete mess of things.

Agreed. You need not just look at the May appointment. When Holt got the job he was up against Latapy. No one really knew if either candidate would cut the mustard as a manager. At the same time we did not have a pot to piss in. So when you have no cash and desperately need a boost to maybe sell a few extra ST's you have the choice of a club legend or a guy who had a tattoo depicting a horrible result in the club's history. What does our lot do?

Agreed. You need not just look at the May appointment. When Holt got the job he was up against Latapy. No one really knew if either candidate would cut the mustard as a manager. At the same time we did not have a pot to piss in. So when you have no cash and desperately need a boost to maybe sell a few extra ST's you have the choice of a club legend or a guy who had a tattoo depicting a horrible result in the club's history. What does our lot do?

Holt wasn't great for us but he was a far, far better manager than Pressley. Interesting that you pick that example rather than Pressley getting a new deal immediately after a fans' meeting where people explicitly said they wouldn't buy season tickets if Pressley was still around.

Archived