TV Aerial

19QOS19

I'm moving house soon and want to take my Sky dish with me. I don't have Sky TV anymore but need the aerial, obviously. The new house doesn't have a Sky dish, just an old style external aerial. So a couple of questions to anyone in the know:-

- Can an older external aerial have an HD cable connected to it for inside?

- Is it easy enough to take down and retune a Sky dish by yourself?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm moving house soon and want to take my Sky dish with me. I don't have Sky TV anymore but need the aerial, obviously. The new house doesn't have a Sky dish, just an old style external aerial. So a couple of questions to anyone in the know:-

- Can an older external aerial have an HD cable connected to it for inside?

- Is it easy enough to take down and retune a Sky dish by yourself?

I assume you mean HD on freeview for the old style aerial? If so, yes its possible but it will depend on exactly how old the aerial is - some will be ok for freeview others wont.

Ive never retuned a sky dish but I dont think its that difficult. I think you would need a satellite tuner/finder but I dont think they're very expensive.

This might be a silly question, but why do you need the sky dish if you dont have Sky anymore? If you've got freesat it might be easier sorting out the old aerial and using Freeview instead

I assume you mean HD on freeview for the old style aerial? If so, yes its possible but it will depend on exactly how old the aerial is - some will be ok for freeview others wont.
Ive never retuned a sky dish but I dont think its that difficult. I think you would need a satellite tuner/finder but I dont think they're very expensive.
This might be a silly question, but why do you need the sky dish if you dont have Sky anymore? If you've got freesat it might be easier sorting out the old aerial and using Freeview instead

I have a zgemma box and it requires an HD connection in the back (two cabled aerial as opposed to one). If the wire could be connected to the old aerial that would certainly be far better.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I have a zgemma box and it requires an HD connection in the back (two cabled aerial as opposed to one). If the wire could be connected to the old aerial that would certainly be far better.

Thats a satellite receiver, isnt it? If so, you'll need to take the sky dish

• 1 month later...

Don't pay anyone to install it. If you have your dish wires still and as long as they are the double HD connectors (which I imagine they are) then it's idiot proof to connect your box. If the guy you get it from is a decent guy he'll tell you it's preloaded and easy enough to set up. If they're pushing for an installation charge then I'd personally look elsewhere. If you don't really know anyone PM me and I'll give you the details of my guy. He's been spot on with me.

ETA. Remember these boxes require an ethernet connection and don't run off wifi.

Don't pay anyone to install it. If you have your dish wires still and as long as they are the double HD connectors (which I imagine they are) then it's idiot proof to connect your box. If the guy you get it from is a decent guy he'll tell you it's preloaded and easy enough to set up. If they're pushing for an installation charge then I'd personally look elsewhere. If you don't really know anyone PM me and I'll give you the details of my guy. He's been spot on with me.

ETA. Remember these boxes require an ethernet connection and don't run off wifi.

Thats what i thought until a few days ago mate. Saw something online with offers on H2H and H2S boxes with wifi dongles. I looked on ebay and picked a dongle up for less than a fiver and it came in the post today. Got it up and running in the back of my H2H as we speak. Ps its a USB dongle

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Also important to remember none of the Sky channels are in HD. The satellite connectors are for receiving Freesat HD, all the Sky channels are in SD and are streamed via the internet cable and a minimum of 5MB internet is recommended.

I was looking at getting one for Xmas but decided not too because of not having ALL HD and that the Sky channels were streamed rather than decoded via the receiver.

I can happily live without HD if it means saving £66 a month. Or £792 a year.

HD is good and watching sport is far better in HD, but for me personally it's not worth £642 more than the one of box payment. I know they'll eventually be clamped down but for now I'm glad that money is staying in my pocket and not going to those greedy b*****ds at Sky.

I dont think this new fangled TV thing is for you, to be honest

I have financial limitations! I love HD and on many occasions I've supported it when folk have suggested it's no different to SD (fools, I know!) but as I say, it's not worth that kind of yearly expense. And in truth my TV is a Sony Bravia (the best make B)) and the picture quality on even SD is honestly superb so I live without HD quite easily.

If you are moving house, why dont you just get Virgin installed? You only need a broadband connection which could be split so you would have a connection to your tv box. Ive found Virgin more reliable than Sky and the broadband speed is excellent. Also, you would then get all the channels in HD

Archived