Your teams season

ICTChris

Now that we've reached the end of the regular season, how was it fir you?

Detroit missed out on a first divisional title in 25 years but I think it's been a relatively satisfying season for the Lions overall. To secure a playoff spot would've been seen as a big success at the start of the season,especially given the Vikings were heavily tipped in the NFC North, as well as the Packers.

The Lions are a funny sort of team, you can't really say we are massively dangerous offensively or have a supremely solid defence but this season we've approached every game with belief and maybe overcome some limitations to get the results. The run of eight fourth quarter comebacks is testament to this. The main man is Matthew Stafford, obviously, but it'd be positive to diversify our attacking threat. The sudden emergence of Zenner as a rushing threat bide sell, although he's only had a couple of good quarters.

In terms of defence, Kerry Hyder has been a surprise standout but Ansah had a poor season coming back from injury. Slay and Quin are standouts in the secondary but I think the team needs more depth there and in the line.

How do you rate your teams season?

Have always felt that Detroit are a middling team, in my time of supporting them they've never been the best and have never been the worst and as such have never been able to take full advantage of the draft and as such blend right I with my choice of Club (and country)!!!

But like being an East Fife fan and a Scotland fan you always get a little run where you think "this is it" but 9 times out of 10 it'll turn to shit!!!

In saying that though, I can't help but feel that we have excelled this year, we have probably done better than we should have done with the personnel at our disposal and it isn't over yet, although pissed off we didn't win the division I feel the loss has probably done us a favour, I'd rather be playing the Seahawks than the on-form Giants and if we had beaten the NY we then had the prospect of playing the Cowboys next, whereas now, get rid of Seattle and we Would probably play Atlanta who I think have a defence that Stafford can beat!!!

The adventure may be over after the next game, it may continue, but this season I think has to go down as a successful one for the Lions!!!

eta

I wrote Kansas instead of Atlanta for some reason!!!

I think that's pretty fair - if you look at the losses the Lions had the clearest have been to Dallas and the Giants, as well as the early season game to Green Bay.  I think it's fair to consider that Detroit aren't there in terms of making a real run at the Superbowl just yet -  fallen a little short to the top level teams but have found a way to win against the poorer sides (Jags, Bears) and beaten the sides with similar records (Redskins, Saints, Vikings).

Posted this on the first Monday night football of the season, which the 49ers then went and stunned everyone by beating the Rams 28-0. Sadly it was an indicator of how bad the Rams were rather than the 49ers being any better than expected.

"Don't think I've ever felt less enthusiasm for a 49ers season starting than for this one. Can't see them managing any more than 3/4 wins, and even that might be optimistic. On nightshift so should hopefully catch a decent chunk of tonight's double header."

From what I saw of them the Niners rivalled the Browns for sheer pishness through the season.  I think there's a consensus that the Browns have the potential to improve and are building sustainably (at least in theory) but I'm not clear about what San Francisco are doing.

Iv been slightly disappointed with the Saints season although I didn't really expect any better than 8-8 with the defence that we have, felt if it could improve even to middle of the pack it could result in a play off run.

Offence seemed as good as ever and Brees is still pretty impressive when in a rythym, Thomas looks a good pick up at WR, Fleener has looked pretty poor with too many drops for being the teams big free agent acquisition, feel like everything in the off season has to ensure geared at defence in particular the back end, Byrd has been poor and BJ Webb and Breaux just aren't good enough at corner.

The record could have been different with a few breaks, del rio nailing the 2pt conversion week 1, Giants winning last play week 2, Broncos winning on a blocked extra point returned for 2 could easily have been 10-6 but there are probably close games when have won too that I can't think of. 

From what I saw of them the Niners rivalled the Browns for sheer pishness through the season.  I think there's a consensus that the Browns have the potential to improve and are building sustainably (at least in theory) but I'm not clear about what San Francisco are doing.

They were a disaster in all parts of the game tbh, some of the long run plays they gave up on defense had to be seen to be believed, while the offense pretty much consisted of trying to run it straight up the middle more often than not.

Usual post sacking posturing with rumours that Kelly was very keen to draft Prescott but the now ex GM Baalke went elsewhere.

Our season was very enjoyable up until the third quarter of the Colts game... 12-3, one of the top offenses in the league, on course to win the division and get a first round bye - as a Raiders fan, this was long, looooong overdue. Then disaster struck.

Don't get me wrong, if you'd offered me a 12-4 record and a playoff berth before the season I'd have bitten your hand off for it, especially considering the past decade+. But it's all ended on a pretty sour note, unless of course 3rd string Connor Cook can lead us to victory against the league's #1 defense. And if he does, we've got the Patriots in the snow to contend with, so maybe it's almost best if he doesn't.

Obviously a disappointing season but it can't be easy to go through the hassle of physically moving something as enormous as an NFL team across the country and not expect results to suffer. The offense was horrendous but that is what we have come to expect from Fisher-coached teams. That the D was so poor is a big surprise but given that we have only two legitimate superstars on the team and one is the punter I am not sure why I expected more. 

Gurley's season has rather euphemistically been described as a 'struggle' but he was Trent Richardson levels of bad and if he doesn't bounce back next year then this team is fucked, shiny new stadium or not. 

I'd fucking love some 7-9 bullshit about now. 

If I recall correctly, the Steelers had the 2nd best Super Bowl odds coming into the year. I expected 13-3. That's probably what would have happened if Ben had not been injured. Weirdly, this seems like one of the more vanilla seasons for me as a fan. I didn't have many strong positive or negative experiences throughout the year. I'd say my best memory is James Harrison, my favorite Steeler ever, coming on half way through the season for one more run as our best defender. Early in the year he was a part-timer and looked done at that, but his return to full time duty coincided with a big improvement in our defensive performance. Great so see the old man with one more run. Hopefully he can keep it up in the playoffs.

9 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Have always felt that Detroit are a middling team, in my time of supporting them they've never been the best and have never been the worst and as such have never been able to take full advantage of the draft and as such blend right I with my choice of Club (and country)!!!

Good that you missed on the Matt Millen era.

This season could be summer up by injuries, way way more than any other team has had to go through and although going 5-0 to 8-8 is disappointing, it's hard to ask for much more.  If we draft a few O-lineman and either massively restructure AP's deal or bring in a new RB then on the whole I'm optimistic. Bradford was a good surprise as well as much as I like Teddy. 

Delighted to have made the playoffs but disappointed in our offence. Defence has been top notch tho. Eli Apple wasn't my favourite of 1st round picks but he has made great strides throughout the season. I feel our schedule certainly helped as well. It wasn't the strongest.

21 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Must only be in the last 10 years then.

Bills, 7-9, expected them to go 8-8, went 1-5 in the division with the only win coming vs a Brady-less Patriots in Foxboro.

QB situation seems to be a big thing with Taylor looking to be on his way out, he's not a world beater but it's a bit of a gamble on the draft if they go down that route, not sure how much cap room there is for an established QB  e.g.Romo? . McCoy has maybe 1 more good season left in him tops and Watkins needs to stay fit, and on the other side of the ball the run defence was garbage (conceded 200+ individual yards to Ajayi twice and Bell once), which probably sealed the Ryan brothers demise.

Don't expect big things next season either. edit: hopefully Ryan going will cut down on the sheer amount of nonsense penalties conceded.

Bills, 7-9, expected them to go 8-8, went 1-5 in the division with the only win coming vs a Brady-less Patriots in Foxboro.
QB situation seems to be a big thing with Taylor looking to be on his way out, he's not a world beater but it's a bit of a gamble on the draft if they go down that route, not sure how much cap room there is for an established QB  e.g.Romo? . McCoy has maybe 1 more good season left in him tops and Watkins needs to stay fit, and on the other side of the ball the run defence was garbage (conceded 200+ individual yards to Ajayi twice and Bell once), which probably sealed the Ryan brothers demise.
Don't expect big things next season either. edit: hopefully Ryan going will cut down on the sheer amount of nonsense penalties conceded.

I could definitely see the Bills going after Romo. Might generate some excitement as well in the Buffalo area

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm a noob but from what I've seen of Taylor he is a solid quarterback.  PFF had an article questioning the Bills getting rid of him.  Be interesting to see where he goes if he does leave.

Grim season for the Browns, punctuated by that last second win against the Chargers. Ownership seems confident in Hue Jackson and the players seemed to still be fighting at the end, with 4 picks in the top 50 of the coming draft you'd hope we can address a few areas, although the track record isn't exactly great.

We've something like 40 million in cap space so an exciting free agency would be good and I don't think there's a standout at quarterback in the draft so be interesting to see what they do there.

As much as there is lots of goodwill towards Jackson, I think the first half dozen games next season will be interesting to see how long that goodwill lasts. It has the potential to go full Cleveland pretty quickly.

Choices to be made in terms of designating if Collins or Pryor decide to test the market too. 

Archived