Sugar Daddy's are they the answer?

Dipple burn

Over the last 30 years sugar daddies have came and gone, some for the good but many for disaster! Would you welcome a big money investor to your club? Myself any money handed to the Talbot would be welcomed but I would draw a line where the investor stood in the grand scheme of things. 

1 hour ago, Dipple burn said:

Over the last 30 years sugar daddies have came and gone, some for the good but many for disaster! Would you welcome a big money investor to your club? Myself any money handed to the Talbot would be welcomed but I would draw a line where the investor stood in the grand scheme of things. 

zTtpw8D.jpg

Wondered how long before you'd succumb to threading this one from earlier today. :lol:

Suppose the main factor is how great is the need for the club to have extra finances injected, along with the reason. There's need for survival at one end of the scale, greed for trophies at the other. But there's also the human factor: how much people are willing to let go of their control of "their" club for the long term good (or maybe not...).

It seems to place clubs in the awkward position of being beholden to an external investor and their whims.

Presumably it starts to go wrong when these guys use their money to gain influence in areas where they have no right to an opinion like transfer dealings and team selection. I'm also guessing that most Sugar Daddy types don't really have the skill-set or inclination to contribute as committee members, which suggests they don't have a genuine interest in hanging around longer term, and it seems like an empire built on sand as the sides can be hoovering up the trophies one season but circling the relegation sink-hole the next with no apparent intermediate phase between the two.

Any club that fosters such a weak culture gets all they deserve as the recent history of the Junior game is littered with cautionary examples. I suppose clubs can't refuse investment but they have to be strong willed when someone waves the cash in their face by negotiating a sustainable investment and forward plan.  

Think its different if your a regular supporter whos there home an away an comes into money , mibby lottery win etc ; an the money u pumped in would b for a genuine love of your own club and u wouldnt want or expect anything in return compared to some fly by night who was only in it for himself !

1 hour ago, Talbot Bing said:

Think if I came into lots of money I would invest some of it on ground improvements?
Good teams come and go with or without cash, but the improved facilities would be there much longer.

100% this - got to take care of the infrastructure and let the manager take care of the team.

A lottery win and I'd have the space under the stand turned into changing rooms and have the social club enlarged. 

Saying no is fine if you're a Talbot fan where regular success has been guaranteed via other means.

But if you're a Lugar, Dalry or Muirkirk fan and a money man turned up promising 3/4 years of spending and challenging for Scottish Cups and Premier titles, after which he'd disappear, they'd find it a lot harder to say no.

Sugar daddies aren't the answer, but they keep things interesting.

39 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Saying no is fine if you're a Talbot fan where regular success has been guaranteed via other means.

But if you're a Lugar, Dalry or Muirkirk fan and a money man turned up promising 3/4 years of spending and challenging for Scottish Cups and Premier titles, after which he'd disappear, they'd find it a lot harder to say no.

Totally agree with this , not saying that Talbot are any less hungry than for example Dalry to win things and keep up their great record but a so called smaller club and its fans have never really had much to shout about over the years, the temptation for them to bring a wee bit of success at any cost would be stronger for me than those clubs that are constantly bringing home the big hand out . 

I think a die hard fan that won the lottery would be accepted by pretty much anyone but if it were an outsider using the club as a toy then we've all witnessed how that can go with teams in the past . 

Totally agree with this , not saying that Talbot are any less hungry than for example Dalry to win things and keep up their great record but a so called smaller club and its fans have never really had much to shout about over the years, the temptation for them to bring a wee bit of success at any cost would be stronger for me than those clubs that are constantly bringing home the big hand out . 

I think a die hard fan that won the lottery would be accepted by pretty much anyone but if it were an outsider using the club as a toy then we've all witnessed how that can go with teams in the past . 

And 2017 introduces this ever returning muppet.

I'll disagree. Gretna, Kilwinning, Me££a and Hurlford have attempted this.

Look at the result.

Me££a didn't get the Scottish Cup they craved (better chance this year than at any other time over the past 15 years)

Kilwinning may have won a few cups but look what happened to them after the cash went.

Hurlford.......hmmm I'll let others decide

Gretna....say no more

Cumnock seem to have taken the correct road and invested in their facilities.

Largs have lottery winners. They didn't buy a team but invested in the park. Fair play

The lottery winners at Largs seem the best of the sugar daddies if you can call them that. Instead of spunking a lot of cash away on players for short term success they have invested in the 3G pitch which will be there for years to come.

I'll disagree. Gretna, Kilwinning, Me££a and Hurlford have attempted this.

Look at the result.

Me££a didn't get the Scottish Cup they craved (better chance this year than at any other time over the past 15 years)

Kilwinning may have won a few cups but look what happened to them after the cash went.

Hurlford.......hmmm I'll let others decide

Gretna....say no more

Cumnock seem to have taken the correct road and invested in their facilities.

Largs have lottery winners. They didn't buy a team but invested in the park. Fair play

Add Bathgate and ballingry to the list

10 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

The lottery winners at Largs seem the best of the sugar daddies if you can call them that. Instead of spunking a lot of cash away on players for short term success they have invested in the 3G pitch which will be there for years to come.

That's pretty much it.

If someone comes along offering to pump significant amounts of cash into your club, nobody is going to turn it away (unless it came with ridiculous strings attached).

However you need to invest it wisely, sure, up the managers budget a bit but like Largs, improve facilities to make coming to the games (and playing for the club) more attractive so there's a chance that when the money man disappears, you have something to show for it which may still attract players to come and play for you even when the big bucks have long gone.

You can add us to the list too - it was before I was involved with the club, but from what I understand it was done with the best of intentions. It's all dependent on the personalities involved, and in our case it seems to have been done with benevolent intent, as even now you won't hear a bad word about those involved up Lochburn way.

Maryhill were on the bones of their arse in the early 90s and unlikely to survive when a couple of local businessmen came in and stayed for the next decade. The stadium was rebuilt from scratch and the team improved beyond all recognition...we subsequently won most of the silverware available although we never got a Junior Cup out of it, as we kept on getting to the semis and imploding! When that period was over, we held our own for a couple of years, then went into what seemed like freefall for a few years - it's only been maybe the last five years we've made a comeback of sorts.

The real danger for any club in that situation is that once the funding disappears they continue as if nothing has changed, stick their fingers in their ears and go "la-la-la" and continue to spend money that isn't there anymore. The only thing to do is downsize immediately, take your lumps and eventually find your natural level once again.

Ultimately there's no real shame in dropping down a few leagues - the real shame is when a club ends up going to the wall as a result of boom and bust.

Since Hurlford got promoted in 2013 when the local Nisa was their main sponsor their player budget has increased significantly. However they have also replaced the snack bar with a more modern facility, built a larger bar with gents and ladies facilities and completely resurfaced the terraces on the visiting support side and behind the goals, but unfortunately all anybody notices is a wee diddy team punching above its weight.

I've thought about this a few times. I think if I won a crazy amount of money like €100milliin or something on the Euromillions then Bo'ness would definitely get some of it. However, for me it'd definitely be about investing as opposed to being a sugar-daddy as such and would probably seek advice from a financial advisor type before making any decisions. My main priority would be upgrading the ground & its facilities, but if possible, ideally my vision would be to revamp Newtown Park and some of its surroundings. Ideally I'd love to have enough millions to look at putting an offer in to buy some land at the nearby adjacent primary school and to flatten and revamp the existing Scotmid, other businesses and currently closed pub opposite the ground so that the whole area becomes less of waste of land and less of an eyesore, but so that the current business can remain, and so that Newtown Park has facilities allowing the junior club to sustain itself.

the situation at Kilwinning always puzzled me, at the start the ground was owned by Palmer the builder and he wanted shot so instead of the sponsor buying it for the club the council ended up buying it. For the money the sponsor allegedly had the ground purchase would have been small change, okay Abbey park at the time required major work. Yet they went and bought success, aye winning trophies is nice but as others righly said all you have is photos and memories

okay if i was do do a Weir and win the euro millions of course the Winton would get some of it, artificial pitch, additional dressing rooms, upgraded lights and more seating would do for starters. Would I want to be involved in the running of the club?? sorry darlings if I was a multi millionaire deciding how many pies to order for a saturday and who is washing the strips would not be a priority. I would also put more money into community football in the town, but it would have to be for the longer term, 10-15 years minimum to see kids coming through the ranks and playing at their potential... I'd probably be deid within 20 years anyway

ere 8MileBU, dont forget to throw a few quid into the steam railway in Bo'ness when you win your 100 million, they are struggling financially too and do a braw job in bringing tourists to the town

Archived