"In this league ..."

Anyone notice the increase in players, managers and fans using the phrase "in this league", usually in conjunction with a mind-numbingly banal and obvious footballing platitude? It's not unique to League 1 - I'm sure people are saying in in every league in Britain these days.

Examples:

"It's so important to get the first goal in this league." (Applies to every league in world football)

"In this league, a run of three or four wins can propel you up the table." (Applies to every league in world football)

"In this league, it's so important to keep clean sheets." (Applies to every league in world football)

"On their day, anyone can beat anyone in this league." (Applies to practically every league in world football)

Probably the only aspect that is particularly pronounced in L1 compared to other leagues in Scotland is that there can quite often be a relatively small points difference between the promotion and relegation play-off spots so it's not that unusual for one or two teams to be in with a chance of being promoted or relegated with a few games to go in the season. Even then, that could equally apply to the Championship these days - there was only 15 points between QoS (4th) and Cowdenbeath (9th) in 2013.

I thought this thread would be a rant about Andy Gray before Sky Sports canned him. 

Literally anything that happened in an EPL match was analysed by Gray in the studio with "IN THIS LEAGUE you don't get <<insert standard football match incident which happens in every game worldwide>>"

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I found Liam Kelly's goalkeeping pretty interesting on Saturday.

In this league, these things happen don't they, who would be a keeper. Poor lad looked distraught, important thing is how he reacts, been solid for us most of the season. 

I honestly felt sorry for the lad by the final whistle on Saturday. These games can make or break young keepers, and l certainly wouldn't want this to happen to Liam. Some folk have very short memories, just think where we were last year when the SAME Liam Kelly took his place between the sticks for us. He was one of the key players in our title success. Don't forget that!

Liam's a good keeper with a brilliant attitude who will bounce back, no point putting yourself down after a couple mistakes. Ever players makes mistakes, his were unfortunately more noticeable than others. But as Gordon said it was just a bit of fun, I'm just glad to finally hear some singing at bayview [emoji23]

Hogmanay wasn't the only day that "There's Only One Liam Kelly" has been sung at the Nou Bayview and it will only do him good to remember that!!!

Archived