The Ton v The Sons

At the time I thought it was a clear trip and penalty, but the highlights show it's a blatant dive and not even a good one.

Even discounting the controversy around the penalty, Dumbarton will feel they had enough of the game to take a point from that. I thought we were excellent in the first half hour and should have been more than one ahead, but when Dumbarton stopped trying to sit in to contain us and instead took the game to us, they took control of the midfield and we really struggled. Only wasteful finishing - Nade's miss at 2-1 in particular - saw us get away with it.

I'm a huge fan of Lee Kilday but he had a nightmare and played us into trouble several times when he should have done a better job of clearing his lines. Hopefully it's just a case of match sharpness and he'll be back to his usual self soon.

We also had the problem that when we did get the ball clear it was coming straight back at us because Scullion and Nesbitt couldn't compete with Dumbarton's defence and there was a massive gap between them and the midfield, but while that's a problem I don't believe for a second it would have been any better with Oyenuga on the pitch: he's considerably taller but he's hopeless in the air anyway. It would have been every bit as bad with Oyenuga and McDonagh up there, in reality Quitongo is the only forward we have who can mix it physically with defences and the only reason we hadn't struggled like that in Quitongo's time out before yesterday is that we haven't had a lead to hold onto for any sustained period of time. A new striker has to come in soon.

Although Dumbarton were controlling the midfield, Jamie Lindsay was still extremely effective and did a great job of disrupting them. We should have swapped Tidser and Nesbitt round early in the second half or just dropped Nesbitt back to make a five: with Dumbarton controlling the midfield the way they were, we needed more energy in there than a four man midfield containing both Tidser and Forbes can provide. That's not to say Tidser or Forbes didn't have good games - their composure in possession towards the end was valuable at a time when most of the team were running into trouble or booting it away - but their lack of pace can be exploited in those circumstances and it left both Russell and Doyle exposed at times.

On that display Dumbarton are a considerably better team than Ayr and, it goes without saying, St. Mirren. They'll be fine if they start taking their chances. Great win for us considering we were without both Oliver and Quitongo and we can start to think about putting some real distance between ourselves and 5th place. If we beat Raith next week we're in a fantastic position.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That really is an awful dive.

Morton have got the points and there's nothing that can be done about that. It's galling that everyone agrees they were fortunate, but I suppose that happens sometimes.

Hopefully at least the referee will face sanctions for such a disgraceful decision. Does that happen at this level or is it just at SPL refs decisions get scrutinised?

That really is an awful dive.

Morton have got the points and there's nothing that can be done about that. It's galling that everyone agrees they were fortunate, but I suppose that happens sometimes.

Hopefully at least the referee will face sanctions for such a disgraceful decision. Does that happen at this level or is it just at SPL refs decisions get scrutinised?

Why would the referee face sanctions? He's had to make a split second decision...the position meant neither linesman had a decent view

What should happen is that the morton player should be punished and banned....if we are serious about stamping out cheating....cheats have to be punished and publicly shamed

5 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

Why would the referee face sanctions? He's had to make a split second decision...the position meant neither linesman had a decent view

What should happen is that the morton player should be punished and banned....if we are serious about stamping out cheating....cheats have to be punished and publicly shamed

Aye I agree. It's a poor call from the referee, but he has been conned by Nesbitt, so he's the one who should face the punishment. After Jamie Walker got done earlier in the season it would be good to see similar action taken against him, but I doubt it will - only being the Championship.

Aye I agree. It's a poor call from the referee, but he has been conned by Nesbitt, so he's the one who should face the punishment. After Jamie Walker got done earlier in the season it would be good to see similar action taken against him, but I doubt it will - only being the Championship.

I totally agree that Nisbet should be punished for such a shameful dive, but the referee's performance should surely be subject to at least some analysis as well. Such an important decision at this level being called so incorrectly shouldn't just go by without at least question.

Clearly not a pen.

I'm not entirely sure if its a dive to win a pen or hes clipped himself while running resulting in a pen.

He has been with us for 6 months and I've never seen him dive before.

16 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's quite clearly tripped over his own feet. I duno how you can see that as a dive.

Never a penalty though, horrendous decision

He could have cleared up any confusion then by explaining that to the ref. Didn't. We'll mark him down as a cheat then.

2 minutes ago, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

Even if it was a dive, we should've been given another penalty later on for that blatant hand ball that the ref shat away from.

Swings and roundabouts.

Correct 

Go and take that large chip off your shoulder you complete sak

Even if it was a dive, we should've been given another penalty later on for that blatant hand ball that the ref shat away from.

Swings and roundabouts.

Correct 

Are you both the same person?

Archived