The Ton v The Sons

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll play worse and win, but that's not the point - literally.  With St Mirren and Ayr losing there was a chance to increase the daylight between us but you need to play for 90 minutes in this division and not 70.  Morton by their own admission were depleted but fortunately for them we never quite showed enough quality in the final third to convert some decent possession into chances/goals.

The penalty was soft but and whilst we got ourselves back into it, expecting Nade and Vaughn to instantly gel was a big ask. 

Decent, engrossing game of football, especially for the neutral.  Frustrating outcome for us.

2 minutes ago, Tam Carson is my No 1 said:

We looked alright today against the 3rd place team in the league. You could tell we had a players missing from previous weeks. I thought Brown is good in goal, he can't kick the ball but I don't care about that. At this time we need a goalie who can deal with the ball in the box, unlike Mortons goalie. I can't see them giving United a threat based on today's performance. 

We've already beat United, m8. Granted we were poor today, but it's a sign of a good team playing poor but still taking the 3 points. 

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

One of the softest penalty's you'll see and poor chance conversion cost us a point today but both teams below us lost so it's not the worst day ever. Mighty disappointing though.

The penalty, there was a coming together, but Barr is just running away rather than blocking the boy, he was never catching the pass and I think it's incredibly soft.

Stirling had a great game, Stanton caused problems and Garry Fleming was bullying folk everywhere but final third we just weren't good enough. Sparky had a poor game in midfield today but he's allowed that after his recent performances. Really disappointing not to leave with something but we played well enough for me not to be disheartened.

Onto Hibs next week, which may look unwinnable on the face of it but we have Nade so anything is possible.

On the Periscope feed it looked like he just stuck out a leg and tripped him. The quality of the feed doesn't really show if it was accidental or deliberate, but from behind it looks like a simple case of a trip. The video might be misleading, but it does make it look like a penalty. 

16 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

He won a header today straight from kick off.

I stand corrected, but I think you probably know what I mean, I for one want the guy to turn the corner but in his time with us he's hardly won an uncontested high ball, & as such isn't a natural for the role he's been put in, I'm unsure what his strengths are but so far he's not really showed what  they are.

9 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

On the Periscope feed it looked like he just stuck out a leg and tripped him. The quality of the feed doesn't really show if it was accidental or deliberate, but from behind it looks like a simple case of a trip. The video might be misleading, but it does make it look like a penalty. 

Fair enough, it was right in front of us though and I didn't see Barr throw a leg out, the ball was going to Brown, he'd have been mental to do so. Will see again on the highlights.

35 minutes ago, Tam Carson is my No 1 said:

We looked alright today against the 3rd place team in the league. You could tell we had a players missing from previous weeks. I thought Brown is good in goal, he can't kick the ball but I don't care about that. At this time we need a goalie who can deal with the ball in the box, unlike Mortons goalie. I can't see them giving United a threat based on today's performance. 

The sign of a good team is winning while not playing well. 

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

That penalty though... I reckon the boy must practice diving and kicking his heels together. The ref simply heard the noise and looked over to see him on the ground. Awful decision.

Pleasing then. Dry your eyes.

A good three points for us given how uncharacteristically shaky we seemed at the back, especially where crosses into the box were concerned. Seemed to take Kilday into the second half before he came on to anything like a decent game. Nesbit seems none too keen to just get the head down and run in on goal, and for a guy playing out on the left he looks like he can only shoot with his right. Penalty looked soft, but maybe the video will clear it up

Wouldn't have been able complain too much if Dumbarton had taken a point, after the first quarter they really came into it and competed well. Though if that shot that hit the post had gone in we'd have been more comfortable.

Wee Scullion did well and played some great passes. And anyone doubting his fitness can do one, he played over 80 minutes and was still going strong at the end.

Archived