The Ton v The Sons

I'm hearing that even though Harvie's loan has been extended he's suspended for this. Could mean dropping Docherty back which means a hole in midfield likely filled with Garry Fleming or playing Pettigrew at left back. Not sure which I prefer.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hearing that even though Harvie's loan has been extended he's suspended for this. Could mean dropping Docherty back which means a hole in midfield likely filled with Garry Fleming or playing Pettigrew at left back. Not sure which I prefer.

Could play a midfield 3 of Carswell (if clearance goes through), Todd and Stanton I suppose. I'm not too sure Vaughan and Nade will be sharp enough to start but I suspect you may be right about the bot dropping deeper.

If clearance for Carswell isn't through in time I would shoehorn someone in at left back as Docherty has a huge impact defensively in midfield and last time he went off against Morton we completely collapsed. Also he's not that good at full back.

As crazy as it sounds, given how brilliant Docherty has been in the middle, I'd be inclined to play Pettigrew at left back from the options you've listed.

Ok, I'm away for a lie down now.

No sign of a replacement for Frazer Wright coming in for you lot today? I understand he's finished but weird one to let him go before this game when you're short in defence.

Potential for hilarity all round with Dumbarton having a weakened defence and us having no strikeforce.

No sign of a replacement for Frazer Wright coming in for you lot today? I understand he's finished but weird one to let him go before this game when you're short in defence.
Potential for hilarity all round with Dumbarton having a weakened defence and us having no strikeforce.

We have a defence. Frazer Wright wouldn't be playing anyway. I think some people might be confused about when Buchanan is suspended, which is next week v hibs.

58 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

As crazy as it sounds, given how brilliant Docherty has been in the middle, I'd be inclined to play Pettigrew at left back from the options you've listed.

Ok, I'm away for a lie down now.

No way would I choose to play Pettigrew anywhere in our team. He was the weak link in our two worst performances this season. Yes, he was the worst in the games vs Bonnyrigg. Just absolutely out of his depth. He looked like he wouldn't cope in the juniors never mind championship games.

Sparky at LB was good enough for the majority of last season and we have at least one or two option in midfield now, another one if we get clearance for Carswell in time.

To be fair, the only position we will struggle with is left back, unless one of Barr or Buchanan get injured. Even at that we have Pettigrew (utter shite) and Docherty who can cover there if need be.

Wright is finished, he's not been able to play for months now and having him on the bench appeared to me to be a case of simply filling one of the substitute slots.

17 hours ago, madton said:

We are missing quitongo big time and if his partner in crime Oliver is out after being battered in Paisley, its a big blow.

Wouldn't be surprised if Oliver plays tomorrow wearing one of those hideous face-masks.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Someone said on the Sons' forum that they're feeling quietly confident for this game. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do have a feeling in my water that we'll avoid defeat. *cue skelping*

So you don't support Kilmarnock?

20 hours ago, Tam Carson is my No 1 said:

I hate the main stand at crappie low, I'm heading into the cow shed with my mate from work who is a Morton fan. It will be interesting to hear the other fans opinions.

*cringe*

Right I've been having a think about our starting lineup, and I'm still not fully sure. A lot will depend on whether or not Carswell can play.

With the players we have we could probably play a pretty decent 4-2-3-1, but in truth I have very little idea what Stevie will do. Something like this could be effective.

Alan Martin

David Smith Darren Barr Gregor Buchanan Andy Stirling

Stuart Carswell Mark Docherty

Josh Todd Sam Stanton Robert Thomson

Garry Fleming

In saying that we now have some decent options up front, so going for an outright 4-4-2 could work, but then you have the issue of only being able to pick 2 of Docherty/Carswell/Stanton, unless you stick Stanton out wide - but I feel he's wasted out there.

I'd like to see Vaughan get a start either way, I'm just not quite sure where - a front two of him and Fleming/Thomson/Nade could work well. Or could he play wide in place of Thomson/Todd?

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what Stevie comes up with.

Archived