New Year Honours

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Get this antiquated pile of shite to f**k. The whole thing is a national embarrassment.

The proclaimers summed it up beautifully with 'in recognition' (if anyone can add a link I'd be very appreciative).

Are you saying Doddy doesn't deserve a Knighthood? Decades of entertainment, his tax is up to date and Yew Tree have nothing on him!

Are you saying Doddy doesn't deserve a Knighthood? Decades of entertainment, his tax is up to date and Yew Tree have nothing on him!

Ha. Yeah I can imagine a phone call went in to yewtree when this list was first created. That would be the ultimate embarrassment.

I see Professor Phil Scranton who lead the Hillsborough independent panels investigation turned down his New Years OBE. A right good c**t him and the right decision to turn it down considering he helped uncover a disgusting cover up from the British Establishment.

Lynne Faulds-Wood summed it up pretty well in her interview with the bbc. There isn't anything wrong with having a means of recognising an extraordinary achievement or outstanding contribution but the current approach is pish. 

Mrs Elma Leiper McCauslan has received an OBE for her services to Country Dancing, without which civilisation as we know it would collapse and the zombie holocaust would occur all the time rather than just four times a year.

Elsewhere Antony Beevor - who makes a living out of "military history" books (ie. history books littered with unreferenced hearsay masquerading as facts Daily Record "a source" style) has been given a knighthood, & most ironic of all Shirley Williams is made a Companion of Honour for backstabbing her comrades in two different parties and helping to wreck three.

In recognition of a hundred million album sales
In recognition of your popularity
You take your gaudy prize
From people you said you despise
You wear your self-respect upon your bended knee

In spite of all your claims
It looks like you're just the same
As every other clown who likes to put the crown
Before or after their name

In recognition of your service to the working class
In recognition of your party loyalty
You get an ermine robe
And you declare when you are probed
You only took it so the missus would be pleased

Before or after their names

Oh vanity
It gets them one by one
Cat, religion, monarchy
But only in tale, fairly frail

In recognition of your bravery up on the stage
In recognition of your bankability
You get to wait in lines
With soldiers crippled by land mines
And you think it's the Yanks that don't get irony

I see Professor Phil Scranton who lead the Hillsborough independent panels investigation turned down his New Years OBE. A right good c**t him and the right decision to turn it down considering he helped uncover a disgusting cover up from the British Establishment.

Scranton - sum boi.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The publishing of Honours Lists used to be huge entertainment in our house as my old man raged over the awards to great Britons such as the Queen's carpet fitter and Princess Margaret's glass collector.

I thought her gynaecologist should have got a gong, her flange was always needing repair due to the pounding it received.

Just think, her mum thought that the east end took a battering.

Glad Antony Beevor and Don McCullin both got knighthoods. I've quite a collection of Beevor's history books and McCullin's war photography is brilliant stuff, especially in Northern Ireland.

I think there's some kind of thing preventing this but all these folk who get their gongs for services to charity should immediately put them on e-bay and raise more money for their causes. Hypocrites! 

Be interesting when Brenda eventually does pop her clogs- imagine Charllie's first New Years Honours: "A Beardie O.B.E.: For services to talking to plants...". Oh the seethe amongst old Major types... 

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Unsuprising Prof. Scraton turned it down to be honest. He used to get anomymous phone calls detailing his/his family's movements, details of his children's schools etc and warned to watch his back when he was investigating the Hillsborough disaster/cover up.

I didn't know that but I have seen him in documentaries about it and is an absolute topper of a fellow for his efforts and shows all the wrong doing in a very nasty light indeed. Such unpleasant business.

Good - if you or anyone hasn't seen the 30 for 30 documentary made on the event then get it watched asap, tells you all you need to know pretty much.

There will be plenty others receiving an OBE who have done charity work or other sorts of work that are necessary due to the corruption and inequality of the UK though.

Archived