May Election Thread

Baxter Parp

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Can someone explain to an arithmetic illiterate how 3% rise from Holyrood plus 3% rise from local govt = 27.5% rise.

I'm genuinely confused.

It's not a 3% rise from Holyrood.  Bands E-H are being regraded as a % of D and are increasing proportionately.

If you take Band D as 100%, bands A-C are all different lower percentages of this and bands F-H are higher percentages.

I don't have the figures in front of me but, for example, if Band E used to be 112%, it's now going up to 120% so a big rise and it's getting steeper as you move up to the top Band H.

As I say these are not the actual figures but a wee Google search will show you them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest complaint I have about council tax is that when my wife was a student ( and working part time ) and I was in full time employment,we got a discount. Now that she is working and I have given up work due to disability we get no discount. Even though our income is less now than it was then.

On 23 February 2017 at 22:03, jupe1407 said:

Shitey phone app.

Should be sorted now GD

Cumulative inflation in the last 10 years during the CT freeze is about 22-23% by my calculations (using CPI).  So only those in the top band are paying more than they would have if CT had risen at rate of inflation rather than being frozen.  Also everyone has benefitted by not paying this additional amount during that period.

I can understand some folk looking at the bare facts and being shocked at a 26.2% rise but I'd suggest that if you live in a Band H house you can probably afford an extra £11 each week without it disrupting your lifestyle.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Cumulative inflation in the last 10 years during the CT freeze is about 22-23% by my calculations (using CPI).  So only those in the top band are paying more than they would have if CT had risen at rate of inflation rather than being frozen.  Also everyone has benefitted by not paying this additional amount during that period.

I can understand some folk looking at the bare facts and being shocked at a 26.2% rise but I'd suggest that if you live in a Band H house you can probably afford an extra £11 each week without it disrupting your lifestyle.

Indeed. If you're living in a £220,000 house and can't deal with an extra £40-odd a month, you're doing it wrong. 

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Indeed. If you're living in a £220,000 house and can't deal with an extra £40-odd a month, you're doing it wrong. 

You're taking the bands by their historical value.  The house value today would probably be £600k plus before it was in band H.

The SNP is definitely running short of candidates to stand for election, after its romp to victory in all other levels of electoral politics. In Inverclyde they currently only have nine approved candidates, needing at least 12 to possibly control the council. The Inverclyde SNP branch was literally being run out of some guy's living room ten years ago so that's not too surprising, but there is going to be a real lack of quality candidates in the party across the country.

The flip side of course is that Scottish Labour and Tories can't even fill a shadow Cabinet without recruiting absolute mouth-breathers. It's not a period of great political talent, but The Only Show In Town are mopping up what's there.

16 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Fairhill hahaha, not a chance. Mind you still a step up from Maryhill.

I've no wish to drag the topic into a shitfest, but just one more post on this matter.

Maryhill - an up and coming, vibrant and cosmopolitan area of Scotland's largest city. Popular with foreign students. It's currently undergoing significant regeneration and it boasts excellent transport links. It's close to all of Glasgow's major motorways, it can be reached on the Subway and the city centre and the west end are within walking distance. Some of the cities finest bars and resturants are within a short walk of Maryhill. Oh, and it's home to a top six Premiership football club. 

Hamilton is a small, parochial, post-industrial wasteland in Lanarkshire. It's home to a disproportionate amount of squalid sink-estates like Hillhouse, Whitehill, Fairhill and Burnbank. They house some of Lanarkshire's most undesirable people - people like yourself.

IMG_5748.JPG

Archived