May Election Thread

Baxter Parp

Dundee West

1. SNP

2. SNP

3. Ian Borthwick (Independent) - Purely because he's a thoroughly decent guy and has been around for years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't get much through the door but then again I'm on the top floor and even the postie can't be arsed half the time. The Greens on the other hand, managed to shove the same leaflet through my letterbox on six separate occasions. Nothing from any of the other candidates except for the generic anti-referendum Tory garbage.

Well I hope you voted for them six times.

Historical trends suggest that opposition parties will perform worse on 8th June than they do tonight. The results we see tonight and tomorrow will probably be their ceiling. Although it is still early days, that should terrify Labour.  

^^ This kind of result would suggest the 'UKIP is a gateway drug for the Tories' line might have some credibility, especially considering more of UKIP's vote came from Labour than polls initially suggested. 

Barely 20 past 1 in the morning and already it is looking like the end of UKIP.
Labour look to be facing a trouncing and the Tories appear to be romping to victory.
Next month is going to be a bloodbath.

Yeah absolutely, it's going to be the biggest Tory win - Labour shagging since 1931 but I really hope the Tories don't quite do as well as some expect up here.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I am genuinely unsure but the SNP have made this about independence and even though this is a local election, that might have an impact. Which way, I dont know but it would be extraordinary for them to retain their vote in local elections after a decade of being in power. That is unprecedented I think.

They still have my vote for now.

SNP have been the only party not to make the election about independence. You continually talk shite. About everything.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Excellent. Cant beat them with intelligence so lets start laughing at their appearances.

What a place this forum is.

Cant as hypocritical and sanctimonious talk?

Much like the three pages-worth you farted out earlier on regarding how benefit sanctions are nothing to do with government policy, and are the brainchild of DWP counter staff...

UKIP losing all of their councillors is pleasing, although obviously a result of the Tories' lurch to the right which is not so pleasing. With UKIP having a lower share of the vote than the Greens currently in England and Wales, this bodes well for the General Election. If that pattern is repeated, there is absolutely no reason for them to have any sort of media profile going forward.

1 hour ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

UKIP losing all of their councillors is pleasing, although obviously a result of the Tories' lurch to the right which is not so pleasing. With UKIP having a lower share of the vote than the Greens currently in England and Wales, this bodes well for the General Election. If that pattern is repeated, there is absolutely no reason for them to have any sort of media profile going forward.

Hopefully Farage, Nuttall, Carswell, Evans and all the other despicable UKIP cretins will crawl back under whatever rocks they emerged from a few years.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Perhaps I made a mistake and it was another Scottish party who announced they were seeking another referendum recently?

To think people will not have this in mind when they go to the polls is naive.

This might be good for the SNP. A great vote in their favour should certanly be spun as a pro Indyref2 vote.

You did, as you often do, make a mistake.

The SNP most certainly did not make the Council elections about independence.  Every party bar the SNP did.

For a sanctimonious, condescending, holier than thou sort of chap who likes to purport his intelligence is above the rest of the forum, you're remarkably thick at times.

Not pretty reading down south so far. At least ukip have lost all their seats so far, sadly straight to the tories:

England #LE2017 Seats

CON 433 (+105)
LD 101 (-9)
LAB 67 (-45)
IND 34 (-15)
GRN 10 (+5)
RA 1 (-2)
UKIP 0 (-39)

as of 5.18am

2 hours ago, Fide said:

You did, as you often do, make a mistake.

The SNP most certainly did not make the Council elections about independence.  Every party bar the SNP did.

For a sanctimonious, condescending, holier than thou sort of chap who likes to purport his intelligence is above the rest of the forum, you're remarkably thick at times.

That sounds to me like a perfect description for you.

That sounds to me like a perfect description for you.

His point is correct, however. The SNP and Sturgeon have repeatedly said that these elections are about local issues not independence.

Conversely, the Tories, Labour, and the Lib Dems have all continually said that a vote for them is a vote against "the SNP's independence obsession".

The irony of daily harping on about someone else's obsession is evidently lost on them.

As is so often the case, the inability of the BritNat parties to recognise their hypocrisy provides plenty of comedy.

3 hours ago, Afrojim said:

Hopefully Farage, Nuttall, Carswell, Evans and all the other despicable UKIP cretins will crawl back under whatever rocks they emerged from a few years.

Proves what most rational observers concluded.......UK voters used  UKIP to achieve their desire to a) Leave the EU and b)  change the political landscape that was failing them and give the established order a kicking. They have succeeded in that and are now deserting UKIP in droves. 

The UK electorate are a lot more savvy than the liberal elite give them credit for..

Archived