May Election Thread

Baxter Parp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a horrible feeling that the Unionist alliance aka the Tories are going to have a fair amount of success in these elections.

Labour however are fucked and. We know it, my dog knows it and most importantly they know it.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Labour choosing to see the SNP rather than the Tories as their electoral enemy has been a major contributory factor in their recent demise.

The SNP are the dominant party at all levels of Government. Why should Scottish Labour concentrate on attacking a party that has no chance of winning power? 

Labour's problem is that the party is not fit for office. It will be in even bigger trouble once the Corbynistas get started on the deselections.

Corbyn has strengthened his power this year after the attempted coup failed. His supporters see the Blairites and the soft left as their real enemy.

Barring major scandals or catastrophes, Labour will be stuffed for at least 10 years. 

The SNP are the dominant party at all levels of Government. Why should Scottish Labour concentrate on attacking a party that has no chance of winning power? 
Labour's problem is that the party is not fit for office. It will be in even bigger trouble once the Corbynistas get started on the deselections.
Corbyn has strengthened his power this year after the attempted coup failed. His supporters see the Blairites and the soft left as their real enemy.
Barring major scandals or catastrophes, Labour will be stuffed for at least 10 years. 

Apart from the highest level of government in the U.K. Scottish Labour, and Holyrood at large, is still dominated by what goes on down south where the Tories are in government but Labour want to cosy up to their branch party to try and shore up their dwindling support.

West lothian currently has labour administration propped up by the one tory so I fully expect them to try and do the same.

But considering in the past the SNP used the tory and same save st John's hospital people to keep labour out it would be childish of me to moan to much about it.

The Only Show In Town will wipe the floor with  all other parties, easily winning Glasgow City Council and the bulk of the other major centres of the Scottish population. The Tories/busted flushes will make gains in the former SNP "heartlands" in the north-east through bloc Britnat voting patterns. This will be hailed by the media as a turning point, in the same way that Liar Ruth winning a smaller share of the Scottish vote than Margaret Thatcher counted as a stunning win for the Scottish Tories. 

Dugdale will either resign or be defenestrated after their unavoidable, utter shoeing in May, 

6 hours ago, virginton said:

The Only Show In Town will wipe the floor with  all other parties, easily winning Glasgow City Council and the bulk of the other major centres of the Scottish population. The Tories/busted flushes will make gains in the former SNP "heartlands" in the north-east through bloc Britnat voting patterns. This will be hailed by the media as a turning point, in the same way that Liar Ruth winning a smaller share of the Scottish vote than Margaret Thatcher counted as a stunning win for the Scottish Tories. 

Dugdale will either resign or be defenestrated after their unavoidable, utter shoeing in May, 

And yet, still no independence.....

As a labour voter and a supporter of the union I don't see the problem with voting for labour first, then ranking other unionist afterwards in order to prevent independence supporting councillors from gaining seats. It is exactly the same as independence supporters voting for independence supporting parties first, SNP then Greens. One is no more reprehensible then the other. We are in a position now in Scotland where the independence issue over shadows all others, a bit like Northern Ireland I suppose.

18 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Apart from the highest level of government in the U.K. Scottish Labour, and Holyrood at large, is still dominated by what goes on down south where the Tories are in government but Labour want to cosy up to their branch party to try and shore up their dwindling support.

But the snp have 56 sorry 55 sorry again 54 MPs to hold their feet to the fire. In these austerity times might it not save salaries, pensions, expenses and allowances if only one went, with 53 proxy votes, as they always vote en-bloc anyway. 

Sorry forgetting again, they are bought and paid for now.

4 hours ago, moses1924 said:

As a labour voter and a supporter of the union I don't see the problem with voting for labour first, then ranking other unionist afterwards in order to prevent independence supporting councillors from gaining seats. It is exactly the same as independence supporters voting for independence supporting parties first, SNP then Greens. One is no more reprehensible then the other. We are in a position now in Scotland where the independence issue over shadows all others, a bit like Northern Ireland I suppose.

Quite right, if your unionism trumps everything else and you are happy to see Tories running public services to send a message to Bute House then fire on.

Its an attitude that has thankfully killed your party though.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Quite right, if your unionism trumps everything else and you are happy to see Tories running public services to send a message to Bute House then fire on.

Its an attitude that has thankfully killed your party though.

well said :thumsup2

Sometimes your political enemy and your electoral enemy are different, as things stand SLab's enemy for both should be the Tories.

Before we get too delighted by Labour's demise in Scotland we should give some thought to where that support will go to.  If I thought it would automatically transfer to the SNP I'd be delighted but since the Referendum and subsequent GE I think that has peaked.

If anything I think the SNP's domestic policies will make it more difficult to attract existing Labour voters, or at least those who genuinely take an interest in politics.

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sometimes your political enemy and your electoral enemy are different, as things stand SLab's enemy for both should be the Tories.

Before we get too delighted by Labour's demise in Scotland we should give some thought to where that support will go to.  If I thought it would automatically transfer to the SNP I'd be delighted but since the Referendum and subsequent GE I think that has peaked.

If anything I think the SNP's domestic policies will make it more difficult to attract existing Labour voters, or at least those who genuinely take an interest in politics.

The vast majority has/will go to the SNP.

If you are suggesting the SNP should have a more redistributive/radical approach to domestic policies I would agree but as it stands I don't know where that more radical Labour element (if it even exists in any real numbers) would go other than the greens.

The vast majority has/will go to the SNP.
If you are suggesting the SNP should have a more redistributive/radical approach to domestic policies I would agree but as it stands I don't know where that more radical Labour element (if it even exists in any real numbers) would go other than the greens.

It might not bother voting.

Archived