Deej - St Johnstone Manager

deej

Now that it's finally installed and running, the obvious choice is to follow in Sir Tommy's footsteps and bring success to Perth.

Got rid of Alec Cleland and brought in Arthur Arbiston, 59 y/o Scottish coach to work on the defence. 

George Hunter on loan to Brechin for the season.

Jai Quitongo wanted £2k p/w so didn't sign, Dylan McGeouch also wanted too much. 

Signed Jamie O'Hara on a free, and a young CB on loan from Liverpool - Jordan Williams.

Drawn with QoS, Ayr, Clyde, Stirling in the league cup. 

First game about to get underway... Here we go.

Stirling dispatched 3-1 at home comfortably - 3-0 at HT and foot off the gas after that. O'Hara and Alston with debut goals, Kane with the 3rd. Can already tell Shaughnessy's long throws will be a useful weapon. 

2-2 draw at Palmerston where O'Hara scored at both ends, before missing his penalty along with Shaughnessy as we lost 8-7 in the shootout. 

Home to Clyde where a comfortable victory is anticipated - cue the defence falling apart and a late equaliser to salvage a 4-4 draw. Won 5-4 on penalties with Shaughnessy redeeming his last penalty by scoring the winner. Now looks unlikely I'll be able to qualify. 

A 3-1 win away at Ayr has actually done the trick, qualified for the second round with 9 points. 

Drawn at home to Celtic in round two. 

An expected defeat - 0-2 - to Celtic in the cup. 

Gilchrist away on loan to Albion Rovers. 

Somehow got an extra £500k from Steve Brown, how unrealistic.

Used it to sign Mark Millar from QoS for £28k, and Julien Faubert on a free. 

Not started the league well, 1-0 loss at home v Dons and away v Well. 2-1 up at half time v Celtic, Chris Millar gets a dead leg, Davidson breaks his collarbone and Kane breaks his foot, Lost 4-2.

Emile Heskey signed up for a season, because why not. Kane out for 3 months so need a replacement striker.

Saints are tough to play this season. I've had 4 saves and got to the end of the season once. Rest been sacked before end of November having been 4th, 5th and 4th respectively. Not really sure why as when I done the stats etc for the season I had saints to finish in a group behind Celtic rangers Aberdeen and hearts.

I brought it up to SI how hard it was to survive as Saints manager so they've lowered the expectations, so a mid-table finish shouldn't see you sacked anymore.

I brought it up to SI how hard it was to survive as Saints manager so they've lowered the expectations, so a mid-table finish shouldn't see you sacked anymore.

Yeah I was waiting for next file to update to have a really good look at it as it was not set up to be that tough. Scotland as a whole is pretty tough. I've tried saves with saints, hearts and Aberdeen and not made it to January in any. Currently playing a Dundee united save and enjoying it . Third season in and still in championship.

Yeah I was waiting for next file to update to have a really good look at it as it was not set up to be that tough. Scotland as a whole is pretty tough. I've tried saves with saints, hearts and Aberdeen and not made it to January in any. Currently playing a Dundee united save and enjoying it . Third season in and still in championship.

Yeah, there's a raft of Rangers fans moaning about it too. One guy was sitting 2nd, 10 points behind Celtic in January and got sacked.

Following the Celtic game, went to ICT and lost 2-1 then took a 5-2 tanking at Firhill, having been 4-0 down at half time. Stopped the rot somewhat with a 1-1 draw at home v Hearts, then went to Hamilton and won 3-2 having been 3-0 up at HT. 

Going into October with 4 points isn't ideal, but County also have 4, Killie on 5 and Hamilton have 6. 7 points off the top six after 7 games.

3 goals in his first 3 games gives Emile Heskey the Premiership player of the month award. 

Tight 1-0 defeat to Ross County followed by a 2-1 win v Killie courtesy of 2 Jamie O'Hara penalties either side of half time. 

Lost 2-0 away at Rangers, then 4-1 up v Partick and managed to see it out 4-3. Frustrating 1-1 draw with Dundee and I go into November in 6th.

1-0 loss away to Hearts. 

Chris Millar feels he has achieved everything he can so wants to leave. He wasn't really featuring that much so I said if someone was interested he could go. 

Beat County 1-0 with 9 men, Heskey coming off the bench to fire in what turns out to be goal of the month. 

Injuries fairly piling up, and end the month with a 3-1 loss at Parkhead. 

Started with the recommended A licence and the board have agreed to let me study for a Pro Licence.

Into December, 1-1 draw with top of the league ICT. Wotherspoon has signed a 4 year contract. 

Lost 2-0 away at Aberdeen. Late wins - 1-0 v Well at home and 2-1 away to Killie - see a rise to 8th. Chris Kane scored the winner and got MotM on his return from a broken foot, pleasing. Murray Davidson broke his leg and is out for the season, not so good.

See out the year with a 3-0 defeat to Rangers and a 1-1 away to Dundee. 

Top of the injury table with 9 (NINE) players out. Hearts are second with 5.

Signed Steven Mallan from St Mirren for initial £180k, with £140k after 30 games and £200k if I win the league. Loaned him back for the rest of the season. 

Rangers came in for Shaughnessy for around £250k, but he signed a new contract 3 months ago so I'm just ignoring them. Will reject when I have to. 

Beat Falkirk 1-0 with a makeshift defence due to injuries, drawn at home to Aberdeen. 

Rangers back in with a £340k bid for Shaugnessy. Rejected. 

Mixed bag of results after that, lost 4-3 to Hamilton at home, drew 1-1 Partick away, lost 2-1 to Celtic from a late Forrest screamer, put Aberdeen out the cup 1-0 at home then went to Ross County. 2-0 down at HT, got back to 2-2 and lost 5-2. So frustrating how inconsistent the same team can be, and I'm starting to get pissed off at the stupid amount of injuries. Seems to be 2 a week at least in training, I've reduced the workload and type of training but Swanson is now out for 3 weeks. 

Signed Lewis Stevenson from Hibs as Easton was injured (obviously) and Scobbie wasn't cutting it. His contract was expiring so got him for around £30k with £20k if/when he plays his 30th game.

11 points off the top six, with 8 games to go to the split. Not gonna happen I'm afraid.

So the game crashed and I went back to the cup game with Aberdeen - 2-0 down and saved a replay, finishing 2-2. Got pumped 3-0 at Pittodrie in the replay. Then lost at home to Killie and Dundee, and away to Rangers. Drew 0-0 away to Motherwell.

Lost 2-1 away at Hamilton and the board are finally losing patience. Need 7 points from the next 5 games to save my job.

Start with a 1-0 loss at home to Hearts, Scobbie got sent off after half an hour. Followed that up with a 5-0 tanking at 3rd place ICT. Not really enjoying it anymore, knowing i'll be sacked soon it's quite tempting to just resign to avoid being sacked. 

Well, the inevitable happened and I was sacked following a 3-0 home defeat to Aberdeen. Only surprise is that I actually made it to mid-April before being sacked. 

Within a couple of weeks I was offered a job interview at Kilmarnock, but they went with Darren Ferguson. 

Interviews with Dunfermline and Walsall, lead to me becoming the Dunfermline manager. 

Rangers won the league, Hibs the championship and Scottish cup. Falkirk beat Killie 3-0 over 2 legs to go up to the big league.

• 1 month later...

Going to give this another go, with an emphasis on youth, making minimal signings. Hopefully in a couple of years the likes of Hunter, Kane, Thomson Gordon and Gilchrist will be key players.

Started out drawn with Dundee Utd, Cowdenbeath, Stranraer, and Arbroath. 

2D6473357E5418D8D42C12096E3BD6FF8EF4B1AA (1366×768)

Slight hiccup v Cowdenbeath but otherwise a comfortable group. Killie and Dundee the only premiership teams to be knocked out.

Drawn at home to Falkirk in the 2nd round.

Transfer wise, brought in Jordan Williams (Liverpool) and Arnel Jakupovic (Middlesborough) on loan for cover. 

August saw a good start to the league, 3-2 win v Aberdeen, put Falkirk out the cup 2-1, won 1-0 away at Motherwell and 2-0 away at ICT. Only blemish was a 4-1 loss v Celtic, although 2 fairly late goals as I was chasing the game makes it seem worse than it was. Went into September in 2nd.

As always, struggled at Firhill, losing 2-1 despite playing against ten men for 55 minutes. Then followed Hearts at home, who also went down to ten after about 35 minutes. Went 2-1 up in the 87th minute, only for Hearts to equalise with an 89th minute penalty. 

Double header against Hamilton followed, first in the cup (won 3-2 AET) and the league (2-2). 5th place at the end of September, but within touching distance of 2nd.

Scouts recommended Kenny Miller, so signed him up on a free for the rest of the season as back up, as he can play up front or on either wing. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Love a Saints thread. What sort of tactics have you gone for?

This seems to work against better teams or away from home, thought I'd follow Tommy Wrights lead and strangle the shit out of any games. 936B54DF0D0532CD6EB7E58AF21967347DB92BC4 (1366×768)

Swapping Foster for Coulson/Alston/Wotherspoon allows for a relatively simple switch to a more attacking, 4-defender formation if necessary. Anderson has been injured the entire season so when he's fit he'll replace Williams in this tactic, but Gordon and Shaughnessy have certainly more than held their own. 

7F5739BF986D00F251743B4112EAC25F3B0A8451 (1366×768)

This is my other option for games I'm likely to be favourite for, if I'm not going 442.  

0CAF78221B019751ED63C8B02C3EEB3F43C93296 (1366×768)

Mixed bag of results in October, 3 league wins (County A 1-0, Killie H 2-1, Partick H 2-0), but a frustrating 1-0 loss at Ibrox despite dominating. Rangers only had 2 shots on target. 

Also out of the cup, 1-1 draw AET with Partick (getting fed up of them already:rolleyes:) followed by a 5-4 penalty loss, 9 players scoring then Ricky Foster hit the post. 

Archived